Roadrunner

Okay, just one more Transfusion…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

Someone brought up an issue with their left arm breaking down in the backswing, which so happens to be one of my primary faults as well. I'm working on flexibility to help my backswing, but can you suggest any drills? Would 1/2 swings using left arm only help? Thanks!

I'm certainly no pro, but I can recycle some of what I've been taught by those who are. Keeping your left arm straight is important to controlling the rest of the swing. As such, you should only go back as far in your backswing as your flexibility allows. If you're bending that left arm you are either reaching the point of maximum flexibility with your torso, or you aren't using your torso enough. If you want to take the club back farther you must do it with your body, not your arms. Of course my coach has also shown me that over-rotation is possible... there is a point at which (with good form) you just can't take the club back any farther.

Personally, my flexibility has improved significantly since I've been taking lessons and playing more golf. I still only take the club back as far as my body allows (with a straight left arm), but that point has gotten increasingly farther back and higher. Videos of me now versus when I started are pretty obviously different. those muscles, when used with proper form, stretch and adapt and allow more movement over time. At least that's been my experience... Freddie will surely chime in with a more expert opinion :)

I don't know why people have this idea that their swing needs to conform to some stereotypical swing? Not every pro keeps their left arm straight, sure it "might" be the cause of some issues for some but every swing is different. I've never been very flexible and my left arm isn't straight but I've got down as low as +1.
By the way, who suggested your left arm was a problem?

In fairness to your question, I had a high school "golf coach" who would make sure his left arm was STRAIGHT all the way to the top of his swing, and that never seemed to help him be a better golfer. So to think it's your left arm, it might not be. I would imagine that getting some flexibility would help, as it would help most people, me too. It would probably be good to see your swing before working on just your left arm.

I found that keeping my left arm straight hurts. hurts the joint. David Toms, not the longest driver in the world but one of the most accurate, recommends having a "soft" elbow. Don't be tense and if it bends a bit, meh.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I'm not trying to emulate a tour pro with a locked left arm, I'm just tired of seeing video of my left arm bend nearly 90* in my backswing. However (and Freddie might tell me the same thing), I'm beginning to think the bent arm is more of an effect of something else rather than a fault of its own.

Last edited:
to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that a locked arm is appropriate for everyone. by "straight" I mean something less than a 15-20 degree bend. If you're going to 90 degrees I think that's a problem no matter who you ask. I'll shut up now though and wait for Freddie

Freddie,

Someone brought up an issue with their left arm breaking down in the backswing, which so happens to be one of my primary faults as well. I'm working on flexibility to help my backswing, but can you suggest any drills? Would 1/2 swings using left arm only help? Thanks!

Thanks for the question, it's a good one. I suffer from this myself as does Lee Westwood. A slight break doesn't hurt. But if you want to have a straight left arm you can hold and swing a club just with your left arm. But what you do for one arm you must do for the other. They work together.
More flexibility is needed in the rear deltoid (shoulder) as well as the tricep of the left arm. But more importantly if you are making a full shoulder turn that arm shouldn't be raising to much higher than the right shoulder. Once it does it will start to break down.

Work on flexibility
Turn with shoulders
Swing and hold club with left and right arm only

Thank you very much, Freddie. Just so I'm clear, should I swing a club with my right arm only as a lefty would, or normally (RH)?

Thank you very much, Freddie. Just so I'm clear, should I swing a club with my right arm only as a lefty would, or normally (RH)?
As a right hander, so back of the hand on left hand swing and palm with thump up on right swings. Aaron Badds warms up this way. Great feel and strength drill

3ubujeja.jpg

Marc Leishman has a slightly collapsed left arm. Kind of an old school move off the ball, not extremely accurate but hits it a long way. I post only because the best in the world have the same issue we have. They have time to groove something like this and that's why it works. With limited practice we have to be a little closer to good positions to improve or play well. But it's not a bad thing for a little collapse is other things are in the right place.

3ubujeja.jpg

Marc Leishman has a slightly collapsed left arm. Kind of an old school move off the ball, not extremely accurate but hits it a long way. I post only because the best in the world have the same issue we have. They have time to groove something like this and that's why it works. With limited practice we have to be a little closer to good positions to improve or play well. But it's not a bad thing for a little collapse is other things are in the right place.

Freddie, what is the difference between old school and modern swings? I see the reference to the collapse of the left arm but what else is there to it?

Freddie, what is the difference between old school and modern swings? I see the reference to the collapse of the left arm but what else is there to it?

Old school swings move way off the ball on the back swing and modern day swings really don't slide as far back. Basically turning on top of the ball and driving the legs up at impact to create space.

Back