Jiyai Shin resigns her LPGA Tour Membership?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw this on The Golf Channel.

She said she wants to spend more time around home and will play Asian events. Is it just me, or does it seem that we've seen a lot more LPGA members retire at the top of their game than PGA Tour members? I don't remember hearing about a PGA Tour player ever resigning his card when he's near the top of his game still.

Yea but the pga tour lacks the biological Clock

That's too bad. She had a down year in 2013 but had a good five year run before that.

Yea but the pga tour lacks the biological Clock

To me its less about that and more about dollars and cents. At the PGA Tour a marginal (top 100) still making close to 7 figures. On the LPGA Tour that 100th ranked player makes about $50k.

So all the traveling out there (that is on their expense) is not worth it unless you can consistently be at the top. The difference in payout between the LPGA and Asian Tour is not as significant for the ladies (when you add expenses) than the difference in payout between the PGA Tour and Asian Tour on the mens side.

To me its less about that and more about dollars and cents. At the PGA Tour a marginal (top 100) still making close to 7 figures. On the LPGA Tour that 100th ranked player makes about $50k.

So all the traveling out there (that is on their expense) is not worth it unless you can consistently be at the top. The difference in payout between the LPGA and Asian Tour is not as significant for the ladies (when you add expenses) than the difference in payout between the PGA Tour and Asian Tour on the mens side.

While all that's true in this case the OP referred to A LOT more in the LPGA than the PGA. The 2 most people are familiar with are, of course, Annika and Lorena and both of those were indeed the biological clock.

Actually, I can't think of this happening, for any reason, with anyone besides the 3 discussed ITT right now.

I for one will miss watching her, I loved her steadiness, she never seemed to have a blow up hole.

While all that's true in this case the OP referred to A LOT more in the LPGA than the PGA. The 2 most people are familiar with are, of course, Annika and Lorena and both of those were indeed the biological clock.

Actually, I can't think of this happening, for any reason, with anyone besides the 3 discussed ITT right now.

The comparison is a bit different however. Annika was 37 years old and had dominated a tour for a decade. Newly married 6 months prior to Mike and was on the decline (generalization). Shin is 25, has not dominated, but been very very solid.

Lorena openly said it was "her clock".

Sad but true. I'd like the LPGA to become more popular - I feel like I can learn a lot more watching the ladies swing, because their swing speeds & distances are a lot closer to mine, so their hitting similar shots with similar clubs.

I wonder if Michelle Wie's career hadn't been such a train wreck, if she would've had a Tiger-like effect on the LPGA's popularity?

Sad but true. I'd like the LPGA to become more popular - I feel like I can learn a lot more watching the ladies swing, because their swing speeds & distances are a lot closer to mine, so their hitting similar shots with similar clubs.

I wonder if Michelle Wie's career hadn't been such a train wreck, if she would've had a Tiger-like effect on the LPGA's popularity?

Train wreck? Seems a bit harsh.

How would you describe it? I think many call it that out of loss of adjectives.
Perhaps the most hyped female athlete ever and if you look over her timeline it is always less about the results and more about just "stuff".
She was to be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA and the only thing even remotely close to that is they both have Swooshes all over them.

If a train wreck is balancing a professional golf career and attending Stanford to get a degree - well then sure..

But that seems a little harsh.

How would you describe it? I think many call it that out of loss of adjectives.
Perhaps the most hyped female athlete ever and if you look over her timeline it is always less about the results and more about just "stuff".
She was to be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA and the only thing even remotely close to that is they both have Swooshes all over them.

I would certainly say and completely agree with underachieving when describing Wie.

I would certainly say and completely agree with underachieving when describing Wie.

I think that when describing her career (now remember not her as a person or her other achievements, but just career), I would say train wreck is not too far off. Again, just my opinion and mostly only because of how she was hyped (which is partly on her or atleast her handlers).

I think that when describing her career (now remember not her as a person or her other achievements, but just career), I would say train wreck is not too far off. Again, just my opinion and mostly only because of how she was hyped (which is partly on her or atleast her handlers).

Oh I agree with you regarding her career. Considering the hype about her as she was coming in, I would definitely label her career as being underachieving and disappointing. But in my head when I think of train wreck, Lindsay Lohan immediately comes to mind. I guess there are variations of what a train wreck is, but I am just not ready to put her there yet..

I used to critical of her but have lately changed my mind. All of her hype does not seem to me be coming from herself but more from the outside world. She wanted to go to college, get a degree and be a regular student. Is that so bad? Everybody else wanted her to just play golf and win every tournament. Is she the number 1 golfer in the world like everyone predicted-no. So what. She seems content with who she is and where she is at. If that is a train wreck there should be more of them. Now her parents-that's a different story.

The LPGA doesn't pay appearance fees. But, I'd guess that the LPGA of Japan, Korea and/or Europe is allowed to. The Japan tour is a very close 2nd to the LPGA in prize money. She can go to Asia, still play golf, still earn Rolex points, still get invites to majors based on Asian Tour accomplishments and probably make 10x more money thanks to appearance fees. For those that talk about competing against the best, she'll take care of that in the majors.

Back