Should I get a handicap?

DylanMT

Reaction score
Should I get one? It's only $15 for the service for the year but the only reason I am hesitant on doing it is that I typically only play 9 holes and not a full 18. Would this matter or would my handicap be a bit funny because of it?

No, go ahead. It will just combine two nine hole rounds into one 18 hole round. You can do it through THP (see the menu under the THP logo above), or you can do one of many free ones online. (The free ones aren't official)

You should do it but make sure to use one that is legit

Know how much the THP one is? And is it USGA approved? This golf course won't let you play tournaments unless you have an approved USGA handicap.

Know how much the THP one is? And is it USGA approved? This golf course won't let you play tournaments unless you have an approved USGA handicap.

The handicap service THP offers is through US Handicap. It is an official handicap, and is $30 a year.

You should absolutely sign up to get a handicap...I always look forward to revision day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

playerlink is free. Seems simple to use.

I was reluctant (never had a hcap before last year) but gives a proper measure and forces me to record scores "officially" (without mulligans, gimmes etc).

I say do it, even if just to access to competitions, I love playing competitively.

I would definitely get one, it's not only important to you but others you play against in tournaments and leagues.

THP has a great hdcp service. You may want to look into it.

If you are certain you are not going to play in any tournaments then no you really do need an official handicap but if you think you just may or if you wish to participate in an official THP event you will need one. If you don't have a "home" course you can use the one Freddie mentioned above that is linked at the top right on this page.

If you only want a handicap to track your progress then a free one like Oob Golf would be a good choice. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

If you are certain you are not going to play in any tournaments then no you really do need an official handicap but if you think you just may or if you wish to participate in an official THP event you will need one. If you don't have a "home" course you can use the one Freddie mentioned above that is linked at the top right on this page.

If you only want a handicap to track your progress then a free one like Oob Golf would be a good choice. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Not to derail the thread, but isn't the only THP event that requires a USGA handicap the Morgan Cup?

I would also add that even if you don't intend on playing in tournaments that require an official handicap, it is still worth having one IMO. At least for me, having an official handicap makes me accountable for every swing I take on the course. I find myself a lot more focused, and really think my way around the course better than I use to.

Not to derail the thread, but isn't the only THP event that requires a USGA handicap the Morgan Cup?
We had to have handicaps for the Grandaddy too.

THP has a great hdcp service. You may want to look into it.

This! If you can play 9 holes then yes, you should have a handicap. It's good for you to know what it is and comes into play if/when you ever decide to play an event that requires an official handicap. Do it!

9 holes is fine to record and having a handicap is always benificial.

You definitely need to get an official handicap IMO. If am event comes up that you really want to play that requires this and you don't have one, you will likely not be able to play because it is not something you can establish overnight.

I don't compete, I just use my hcp to track my progress .... so yes, it helps to have a hcp - go for it

I carried one 2 seasons ago and it was fun to see on revision day. I didn't get one last year and I didn't miss not having one. I don't play in any tournaments or anything that forces me to carry one, so for me it's a it's just a waste of money. I don't mind using apps like Titleist or Nike golf apps to keep track of my stats.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

There are quite a few free sites and apps that will track an unofficial handicap using the same calculation as the official one.
oobgolf, golfshot, swingbyswing, just to name a few. I've used these the last couple years because I wanted to know my handicap
but didn't want to pay if I wasn't planning on playing in any official tournaments.
This year I would like to play some NYSGA tournaments so I will have to get an official handicap through their site.

I think it really helps from a motivational standpoint. I say yes

I would say do it. If you need a official handicap then why wouldn't you?

Throwing this out, you'll need the USHandicap index to play in the vTour events when we get them going in the spring.

Tazz
@bigtazzGOLF

I just do not get the handicap system in the us, way too easy to falsify.

Last edited:
Back