Chicago Area - 2013 THP Invitational #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not easy. I've been looking at courses for two months now. Chicago golf is not cheap.
Lived in the area for ~20 years and I know it! Love Des Moines prices hahaha.

Let me know what courses are on the short list and I can try to provide my 2 cents on quality and conditions.

Yes there are tons of options. Unfortunately the high demand keeps the price sort of high for even poorly maintained, over-crowded courses.

Chicago is just expensive in general.

I would love to hear some opinions here. Can't make any promises that I'll follow them, but I am interested and will listen to everybody.

Do you have a preference on North side vs South side? Keep in mind that there are interstates everywhere in Chicago, but it's a very HUGE area. Just wonder if it makes a difference to you all.

Chicago is just expensive in general.
Don't remind me, I'm planning on moving back there late summer. I'll actually have to budget my golf expenses to take into account the inflated green fees.

I would love to hear some opinions here. Can't make any promises that I'll follow them, but I am interested and will listen to everybody.

Do you have a preference on North side vs South side? Keep in mind that there are interstates everywhere in Chicago, but it's a very HUGE area. Just wonder if it makes a difference to you all.

Well...what part of the south side of Chicago are we talking? hahaha. The Cabrini-Green area isn't on my "must visit" list.

South Suburbs I guess I should say. The chances of actually playing in the city are basically zero.

I just kicked into ponder mode for this one. Missing 2 of the 3 invitationals in my neck(s) of the woods is not going to cut it. I've always wanted to go to Chicago...

I just kicked into ponder mode for this one. Missing 2 of the 3 invitationals in my neck(s) of the woods is not going to cut it. I've always wanted to go to Chicago...

Midway is Soutwest's biggest hub. AirTran flies out of there as well. Spirit flies into O'Hare.

North side is more convenient for me, but I know there are great tracks South and West. Expressways and trains can get people everywhere. Not sure if you are taking access to the airport(s) or downtown into account, but that's another consideration.

I've found the best value in older, municipal courses in wealthier suburbs. Glencoe, Wilmette, Deerfield, Highland Park, Hoffman Estates to name a few. They are all well-taken care of, and reasonably priced. The downside the the Northside (get it?): it's very flat (as with most the state).

Midway is Soutwest's biggest hub. AirTran flies out of there as well. Spirit flies into O'Hare.

I'd be driving. I have a friend a few hours from there I can stay with hopefully. Obviously some details to be worked out, but doable I think.

The I'll be driving in during the morning hours part of me says Southeast side, but I'm not sure on options up there, so where ever. I know theres some nice options in the Schaumburg area.

The timing of this is perfect. Great time to get some competition in just before The Morgan Cup. Lots of great THPers around Chicago also that may not make it to Ohio so I can't wait to see some more guys there!

Just became an Albatross member so I can play this event. May have to work that day but will know well in advance.

I am a life long resident of the area, played most of the courses. Lots of great ones North and South. Will be fun wherever!

Chicago and Branson Invitationals on back to back weekends.... hmmmmmmmm

Don't think I can swing it over 4th of July weekend unfortunately. That sucks, I was really hoping to make this one.

Bring on Vegas!!

I live in the South Suburbs. Easier to get a tee time, less expensive and some very nice courses. Most of my downtown and Northshore friends play down here.

South suburbs sounds incredibly ideal for me and Deano!!!!

Cog Hill is south of Chicago...just sayin. One of my favorite places to play in the Chicago area.

North side courses are generally overpriced and flat because the land costs so much. Thunderhawk and Midlane are pretty good, but it's borderline WI so would that count?

I'm not familiar with South side courses since I grew up in the North Side. I would suggest looking into, taking budget into consideration, Foxford Hills (Cary, IL), Orchard Valley (Aurora, IL), Whitetail Ridge (Yorkville, IL), and Prairie Landing (W. Chicago, IL).

Orchard Valley may detract some since it's a neighborhood course and the houses are pretty close. However, the layout is one of my favorites.

Well...what part of the south side of Chicago are we talking? hahaha. The Cabrini-Green area isn't on my "must visit" list.

Haha. Cabrini-green (as you know it) is nearly non-existent these days. There are condos that sell for $1M plus in that neighborhood now.

I got you a lot of my opinions earlier, but feel free to ask me about any new courses that make it on the short list. I have no doubt, however, that you will plan this thing out well. Vote of confidence!

I am pretty pumped about this one!

I'm pumped too!

I've been waiting to see the dates, it's a little close the to MC for me to take off more work, but I'll be doing my darndest to make it work!

Chicago and Branson Invitationals on back to back weekends.... hmmmmmmmm

Yeah, that's where I am at. It may be tough for me to make this one. Work will be near impossible to get off from for two weekends in a row. We shall see though.

Yeah, that's where I am at. It may be tough for me to make this one. Work will be near impossible to get off from for two weekends in a row. We shall see though.

Close enough to drive up Friday night and be back Sunday afternoon.

I've played probably 50% of the courses in the Chicagoland area, hopefully it's one I've played. Very excited to see the venue, hoping it's a private club Olympia, Medinah, or Butler National.
I'd take DubsDread though as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back