How did I do? Bought used clubs...

robmypro

Reaction score
So I bought the wife and I some clubs the past few days. It seemed like a really had 3 choices:

1. Buy Good New
2. Buy Cheap New
3. Buy Good Used

I am sure a lot of people are confronted with this decision, so I wanted to share my thought process. Here goes.

1. Buy Good New

The main attraction to this is getting some awesome new clubs! But, the cost for a new bag, good irons (name brand OEM), woods, putter, etc. was getting north of $1,500. What if I didn't really stick to this? And...I am buying the wife clubs too, so this was prohibitive.

2. Buy Cheap New

I could have bought a complete set for $500 or less, including bag, but what if we actually did get into this golf thing? These clubs don't seem to hold their value that well, so either we were buying clubs we weren't going to use, or we were buying short-term clubs with limited resale value.

Which brings us to...

3. Buy Good Used

This seemed to make the most sense, and present the best compromise. The idea of this move is to buy used good clubs at a discount, with the thought that if we did get into golf seriously, we had good clubs. If we didn't stick with it, we could sell them for nearly what we paid. Sort of a cheap rental, with the upside of being usable for many years. The downside is they are not new.

We chose number 3.

We purchased the following:

For me:

- Ping Eye 2 Red Dot Irons (3-PW +SW) 9 clubs for $250
- Ping Eye 2 Woods (1, 3, 5) $70
- New Wilson Bag - $40
- Ping Putter - $100 (new)
- Refurbishing Irons ($117)

Total: $577

For wife:

- Ping Eye 2 Orange Dot Irons (3-PW +SW) 9 clubs for $200
- Ping G15 Woods (3, 5) $130
- Used Bag - $60
- Used Ping Putter - $70
- Refurbishing Irons ($117)

Total: $577

Total cost for 2 sets: ~ $1,150

My thinking regarding the refurbishing of the irons is they will feel new, which mitigates the main negative. It was an extra $230 to the price tag, but I feel it would have made the entire deal doable. I like new! So does the wife. And this feels less garage sale-ish.

We paid more than had we bought cheap clubs, but not THAT much more. And we have a set we can play for many years, maybe even forever. The other negative to the Pings is the outdated technology, but most reviews I've read say that they are not that bad relative to the latest and greatest.

What do you guys think? Like the move? Hate it?

To be brutally honest, $250 plus $117 refurbishing for irons that old didn't save you any money. You can buy some decent newer models brand new for that price or near it. There's a ton of options for $399 now that the new models are out. You can pick up last year's models for even cheaper than that used.

Ping Eye 2's are what? At least 20 years old now?

I think on the woods you got a decent deal... On the irons I don't think you did very well at all.

What does the "refurbishing" include?

Have to agree, lil to pricey for what you got out of the deal. What's done is done.
Now time to play and enjoy them and the game!
That's what is important.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna lie man I think you didn't do a very good job. $377 for a set of irons that are way past their prime. Cobra Amp irons are around $400 for a new set and they are the 2012 model. My dad hits them, I'm more of a blade guy myself but for a higher handicap that would have been a good option.

You'll find that most are very honest, but don't intend to be negative in their posts. We take the good and the bad in stride and if you ask for an opinion, you'll more than often get an honest response. Words can look deceptive on the screen, here it is usually not meant to attack and make a person feel slighted.

I'm glad you found the sets and made the jump to get you both involved. $1150 to completely set up two people is pretty darn good, go out an enjoy them. I know the excitement builds and one wants to jump at a lot of offers. It's hard to keep searching when one maybe doesn't know what to expect in value/wants/needs...etc.

Have fun with the new tools!

Good on ya for shopping around etc but others have hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of new irons out for the same, if not lower price than you paid. I owned a set of Eye 2's and they were great but they are old technology now.
Don't be disheartened though, you're happy with what you got and that's what matters.

You'll find that most are very honest, but don't intend to be negative in their posts. We take the good and the bad in stride and if you ask for an opinion, you'll more than often get an honest response. Words can look deceptive on the screen, here it is usually not meant to attack and make a person feel slighted.

I wanted to quote this (even though I'm posting right after) because he is right, not really ever going to find much negativity on here, but will get complete honest replies. You asked how you did, and the truth is, like some have said, you didn't do so well on the irons. Let it be just a small lesson with golf equipment, that this is a great place to come to before hand when making such decisions. Plenty of people here willing and able to help with whatever you need.

Since you've got them, might as well enjoy them though! No reason to kick yourself in the butt. You'll still enjoy the game.

I think you did best with the woods, putter, and bag. As long as you have fun with it, that's what matters.

Not bad, not bad! I'm with you on buying low to get what you want =).. I redid my entire bag this year on the cheap as well.

Ping G25 12° Mitsubishi 'ahina 70 X-Stiff 45.25" - Picked this up at Golfsmith as a demo club. $199 out the door!
TayloreMade R11-S 4w 17° Aldila VS Proto 80 X-Stiff 42.5" - Golfsmith close out $69 out the door
Cobra AMP Cell Pro 3-PW DG Tour Issue X100 - Ebay in the middle of the winter $465 shipped
TaylorMade ATV 50°, 54°, 58° (52°, 58°) - This is where I made the best deal. Two of these were $17 each from Golfetail. Other two were $50 for the set.
Nike Method Core MC01w 35" - Paid $79 new from GlobalGolf

So $896 for a new (to me) bag for 2014. Not as good as you did but I went a little high end on the irons.

Shows you can kind of mix the "new" and "used" together. I also learned the "preowned" from TayloreMade and Callaway are great places to shop as well.

You guys are so cool. You basically tell me you don't like the move, but in a way that isn't really too critical. Very nice community.

I probably went back and forth 20 times on this deal, and maybe over thought it a bit. But you guys are right in saying what's done is done, so go play and enjoy them! Thanks for the honest take on the situation! I appreciate it.

I concur with the others. I think you spent too much on the irons. But with that said, I really like the old Ping Eye 2's and currently have 2 sets I like them so much. My brother gave me my first set (my first set of irons) and I re-gripped them and hit the crap out of them. The irons themselves are really easy to hit (I have the red dots too) but after a while I realized that the stock ZZ Lite shafts were too stiff for me. Depending on your swing, you may find the same.

In time, if you pick up the sickness many of us share, you will upgrade and get new or new-used gear. For me, buying and selling golf gear is almost as addictive as golfing itself!

Have fun playing with your new clubs!

To be brutally honest, $250 plus $117 refurbishing for irons that old didn't save you any money. You can buy some decent newer models brand new for that price or near it. There's a ton of options for $399 now that the new models are out. You can pick up last year's models for even cheaper than that used.

Ping Eye 2's are what? At least 20 years old now?

They are an oldie but goodie! lol

I hear you. I just have a soft spot for these guys. Otherwise I wouldn't have had them refurbished. The decisions we make with our hearts!

I'm not gonna lie man I think you didn't do a very good job. $377 for a set of irons that are way past their prime. Cobra Amp irons are around $400 for a new set and they are the 2012 model. My dad hits them, I'm more of a blade guy myself but for a higher handicap that would have been a good option.

Thanks for the feedback! I think you are in the majority on this. lol

I'm glad you found the sets and made the jump to get you both involved. $1150 to completely set up two people is pretty darn good, go out an enjoy them. I know the excitement builds and one wants to jump at a lot of offers. It's hard to keep searching when one maybe doesn't know what to expect in value/wants/needs...etc.

Have fun with the new tools!

Thanks for the kind words! I thought $1,150 to get two people setup wasn't bad. But it was a compromise deal.

You guys are so cool. You basically tell me you don't like the move, but in a way that isn't really too critical. Very nice community.

I probably went back and forth 20 times on this deal, and maybe over thought it a bit. But you guys are right in saying what's done is done, so go play and enjoy them! Thanks for the honest take on the situation! I appreciate it.
You sir have the makings of a stellar THPr. Great response!

Not bad, not bad! I'm with you on buying low to get what you want =).. I redid my entire bag this year on the cheap as well.

Ping G25 12° Mitsubishi 'ahina 70 X-Stiff 45.25" - Picked this up at Golfsmith as a demo club. $199 out the door!
TayloreMade R11-S 4w 17° Aldila VS Proto 80 X-Stiff 42.5" - Golfsmith close out $69 out the door
Cobra AMP Cell Pro 3-PW DG Tour Issue X100 - Ebay in the middle of the winter $465 shipped
TaylorMade ATV 50°, 54°, 58° (52°, 58°) - This is where I made the best deal. Two of these were $17 each from Golfetail. Other two were $50 for the set.
Nike Method Core MC01w 35" - Paid $79 new from GlobalGolf

So $896 for a new (to me) bag for 2014. Not as good as you did but I went a little high end on the irons.

Shows you can kind of mix the "new" and "used" together. I also learned the "preowned" from TayloreMade and Callaway are great places to shop as well.

I like your strategy!

Not so hot... The irons were a pretty big miss IMO. Eye 2s are very old

Gotcha. That is funny, because for me they were the core of the purchase. I will be curious to see if my feelings change after hitting them. I will keep you posted!

You sir have the makings of a stellar THPr. Great response!

Thanks for that! Hey, I asked for an honest take on the deal, and I 100% got that! Can't ask for more IMO.

Not so hot... The irons were a pretty big miss IMO. Eye 2s are very old

Wait until you have to listen to him in person...:friends:ha, what a great guy this one is for sure.

Back