Transition Drills / Thoughts

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
I have posted a few times on here over the past few weeks as I was having some early extension issues and I think I have got those tamed down by a slightly more upright stance and the thought or action of "squatting into the left side/heel" to start the downswing.

This move still feels a little bit unnatural but when I get it right I really like the easy distance I get with a smooth swing.

Just looking for thoughts or opinions on this move starting the transition from backswing to downswing. Good? Bad?

Any drills or other thoughts to make this more second nature?

Josh,

I'll pass along a piece of swing advice learned from one of the best instructors I have met. He suggested focusing on how your body felt after making the swing you want - basically hold the pose and tell your body this is the position in which you want it to finish. Do not do this on bad swings however, just accept those and move on to another try. If this works, you can skip the need for any transitions cues and simply target that finish feel.

If it does not work, he then had students look for a transition clue that would not feel so unnatural. In his opinion, that unnatural feeling meant it was a cue that you would have a difficult time repeating reliably. So when making your good swing, try focusing on particular parts/areas of the body (say the lead hip or rear shoulder or whatever) to see if any of those give you a more repeatable cue. What I really liked about his approach was that he provided the conceptual swing framework but asked you to find the "feels" that worked. His process appeared to give players better ownership of their swing.

I have posted a few times on here over the past few weeks as I was having some early extension issues and I think I have got those tamed down by a slightly more upright stance and the thought or action of "squatting into the left side/heel" to start the downswing.

This move still feels a little bit unnatural but when I get it right I really like the easy distance I get with a smooth swing.

Just looking for thoughts or opinions on this move starting the transition from backswing to downswing. Good? Bad?

I think this feel drill is fine. I'd suggest doing this without a club in your hands. Stand in front if a mirror, or a glass door in my situation, hold an iron across the front shoulders with arms crossed, and make the swing move and drill in slow motion while standing on one of those kids swim noodles.
The slower the better at first and then progress to doing the motion in your natural swing tempo.
I think the use of the noodle placed under the arches of your feet will help you maintain good balance and prevent you from over shifting your weight onto your front foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think you should go back and read the comments I made in the other two threads your started. I talked about what the lower body should on the down swing.

I also think you are over thinking your swing. Stop looking for things and work on the drills we discussed.

i think you should go back and read the comments I made in the other two threads your started. I talked about what the lower body should on the down swing.

I also think you are over thinking your swing. Stop looking for things and work on the drills we discussed.

Ok I will do that. Guess I forgot about those mentions in the other posts. Just trying to rid myself of a little bit of early extension.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

You don't suffer from early extension. This what I mean by over thinking. Your creating issue where there are none

You don't suffer from early extension. This what I mean by over thinking. Your creating issue where there are none

You don't think I suffer from a bit a early extension? In a lot of my videos I move off the "tush line" on my downswing. Freddie I think I over think a lot of things!! Just ask my wife. Just trying to get a little more consistent and continue to get better.

You don't think I suffer from a bit a early extension? In a lot of my videos I move off the "tush line" on my downswing. Freddie I think I over think a lot of things!! Just ask my wife. Just trying to get a little more consistent and continue to get better.

Work on what we discussed and you'll be fine. We are building a repeatable swing. Work on your short game to get you scores lower.

Back