Bobby Jones Blackbird FW Wood - THP TV Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV talks with Jesse Ortiz about this new fairway wood. One of the most intriguing clubs from the 2014 PGA Show.

Sounds like we've got a club that's made more for normal people. I always like to hear that. You've got me curious now. Ortiz is a great interview by the way. Enjoyed that.

Jesse Ortiz seems like one of those club makers you could talk to for hours and learn enough to make your head spin. Solid interview.

Also, his tie game is on point.

Enjoyed the interview. I like the idea of the 17* 4wood, could be used in a multitude of ways.

The more I see and hear about these the more I really want to try it. I do use my fairway woods off the tee more than the fairway but still love the idea behind the design.

Great interview, really enjoyed it. I have always heard good things about the clubs Mr. Ortiz does, may be time to find out for myself.

The average joes wood. Very nice interview. Shallow club, longer shaft, sounds like an off the deck dream.

Sounds like we've got a club that's made more for normal people. I always like to hear that. You've got me curious now. Ortiz is a great interview by the way. Enjoyed that.
I've never been called normal! But I do like the sounds of this club fitting regular type golfers, that's for sure.

Ok this guy is awesome! Bow Tie, awesome mustache and he explains things in a way that makes sense to a guy like me.

I am not an expert on club design, but I feel like I could talk to Jesse about clubs for hours.

that being said, this new line is super intriguing. The face design we have seen on some others, but it is nice to hear why he went with it. The curvature around the leading edge makes sense when he explains it, so I am looking forward to it. I am glad they designed this with the "common" player in mind. Being able to hit the FW off the tee and the deck is key for me

Great interview! Is the tri-metal you guys kept referring to the old Orlimar Tri-Metal from the late 90s? I was a big fan of that club back in the day.

Taylor I said the same thing. I could have stayed there and talked with him all day. Guy is one of the greats

Great interview! Is the tri-metal you guys kept referring to the old Orlimar Tri-Metal from the late 90s? I was a big fan of that club back in the day.

Yes it is. To this day one of the most successful clubs EVER.

Great interview. I would really like to hit this club. Sounds like a very versatile fairway wood.

Jesse Ortiz is so enjoyable to speak with. After the interview I talked to him until I was forced to move on to the next booth. I could have talked to him all day.

Taylor I said the same thing. I could have stayed there and talked with him all day. Guy is one of the greats

Just seems like a genuinely nice guy. I really hope they do well

Just seems like a genuinely nice guy. I really hope they do well

Really nice guy. Very generous with his time and he has a wealth of knowledge about club building. While not on camera, listening to him talk to us about women's clubs and the type of bag setups he recommends was something special. Its rare to get that kind of access to one of the club builders who have created some iconic pieces of equipment.

This was a fantastic listen. Hearing about design for average consumers vs pros was enlightening and I love the approach he is taking.

Also a big fan of the 17* that can replace 2 clubs.

Just hearing him has me wanting to try these!

Awesome interview! A very intriguing FW and one I'd love to try...and from the guy who created the basis of the modern fairway wood? Just wonderful.

This was a great interview. Really enjoyed Jesse and what he had to say.

I like the thoughts behind the new line and why he did what he did and it really sounds like this would be a great club off of the deck. I like the relief in the heel and toe as well for those side hill lies.

Awesome interview there. As if the looks of the club weren't enough for me to want to hit it, hearing him speak about how it's made more for hitting off the deck than the tee, I REALLY want to give it a swing.

Sounds great in theory and maybe they are taking it to a new level but hasn't cup faced technology been used by other companies in the past?

Love these interviews, so much knowledge to gain and Josh always seems to know the right questions to ask.

Love these interviews, so much knowledge to gain and Josh always seems to know the right questions to ask.

This one was a really really good one, more than worth the watch IMO. I want to hit them badly.

This one was a really really good one, more than worth the watch IMO. I want to hit them badly.

I really really hope these aren't too difficult to find.

This cup-face design just makes sense. I'd like to try it fo shizzle.

Back