Setting up your golf bag; choices or preselected?

This thread is especially interesting in contrast to the earlier discussion about how flex doesn't matter as much as feel for most golfers.

And this isn't just for Morgan cup. What if this is how clubs were purchased. Specs sent to OEM and they send back best option.

It would be interesting, if you were given a month to test them out maybe more.

My issue would be a guy like me, who lives in an obscure part of the country where a fitting to the quality your talking of is not an easy proposition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be opposed to letting them offer a few suggestions for each group (woods, irons, wedges, putter), and then trying out each of them to see what I like best (I'm assuming they would be fitted for me). No way would I just want to send them some data and have them ship me something and say "here you go". I would welcome their input, but I would want the final decision based on what works best for me when I swing it, not what they think should work best for me.

I would let them choose if they did it based on some numbers off the launch monitor and a quick discussion about my game.

I would be all for something like that, provided they send me what their recommendations are prior to making it final. Because I do think that they would know better than me, but at the same time you have to like what you're playing so I would want to have at least some input.

It would help some of the company's possibly, like Bridgestone and Yonex, stuff I've never seen in a golf shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think it is a very neat idea. Play what the manufacturer thinks you should for your swing, and for your specs based on a proper fitting.

I was previously under the impression that MC participants usually went through a fitting and then chose based on recommendations put forth by the fitter.

I think to a regular consumer it is a difficult thing to accomplish. Too many people see advertising, IMHO, and want one specific club, no matter if it is good for them or not. Many probably struggle to make a club work for them. (it took me many years to figure out that not every club would work for me.)

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. It would require a bunch of trust between you and the OEM to put together a set that you would like. I can see style of play being a little bit of a hiccup, but if a fitting was included in this and then the fitter (affiliated with the OEM) made the decision, that'd be much easier to do.

And this isn't just for Morgan cup. What if this is how clubs were purchased. Specs sent to OEM and they send back best option.

I would honestly think that the decline in the game would be on a much more rapid level than it is. People buy what they want and like, not something someone else thinks they should play.

I like how TaylorMade did this at the Loft Up event last week, where Canadan and #Cookie were put in driver/shaft combinations, based on numbers, not based on preconceived notions of what the golfer thinks. #LETTHENUMBERSSPEAK

I always get somewhat irritated when my golfing friends ask for help on getting into some Nikes, Titleists, Callaway, any OEM. Instead, they should be asking for help on getting into the best club for their game.

#LETTHENUMBERSSPEAK

I wouldn't be against it....but I think styles of play have to be considered....some people are high ball hitters, some aren't...some like hybrids, some don't...some cant hit FW's and then when you get to wedges there are so many choices.

Like I said, I think it's an interesting idea....but given the choice I would rather choose my own setup.

I would honestly think that the decline in the game would be on a much more rapid level than it is. People buy what they want and like, not something someone else thinks they should play.

If it worked and people played better golf I don't think there would be a decline. I understand people like to choose their stuff, I just wanted to get a feel for everyone's thoughts

I think letting the professionals, who are walking encyclopedia's of their brands equipment makes all the sense in the world. I think we all preconceived thoughts about what clubs are best for us. I would also say more times then not we are wrong on the club selection. In my case I would have never steered toward Ping if I didn't get a proper fitting.

It's an interesting topic to consider... On one hand, it would be good to have the OEM go through the selection process (assuming the person making the evaluation/decision is skilled/knowledgeable) for me. I think it would provide a level of excitement of the unknown. Of course, this "unknown" could cause some apprehension as well, on the part of the player.

For me, personally, I would love to be provided with recommendations/options from the skilled/knowledgeable OEM staff, and then make the final equipment decisions myself, while weighing their recommendations.

Id do it a 100 percent if a complete fitting was envolved. Ive bought clubs off of other people saying they are good. Im sure people are going to get tm stuff just based off of the ultimate club testing reviews from forum members. So yeah, give me a top to bottom fitting and id give a try what a real professional in his field recommends.

I think it might work unless a person is the handicap they are because of a particularly weak point in their game. If a player is a high handicap due to all-round inconsistency, then by all means give him the GI clubs. If a player is a low-handicap despite being a really mediocre driver, he may not want to get a driver that's lower on forgiveness, though I suppose a full fitting would flesh that out. I'm probably explaining it poorly. Also, there's so much in putting that's a matter of feel and personal preference. I dislike the idea of getting a putter just because it's the putter someone else thinks I should have. There's a reason putters are offered in so many different builds even for similar styles of swings.

Also, and don't take this the wrong way, but as strictly pertains to the Morgan Cup, this is kinda one of the biggest moments I ever expect to enjoy in my golfing non-career. A set of custom sticks I hope to use for a considerable period of time, starting with the event itself. I'd like to have as much information and justification as I can process shoved into club-choosing decisions, and that includes some non-technical notions like aesthetics and feel. Ultimately numbers rule, though, but that still involves getting the club in hand and confirming it's what I hit the best. That's just me, though.

Last edited:
Would be open to suggestions, then just mix in what I know I'm comfortable with. Shafts though I would take the recommendation the entire way, simply because it's such a diverse and complicated market.

If it worked and people played better golf I don't think there would be a decline. I understand people like to choose their stuff, I just wanted to get a feel for everyone's thoughts

In theory yes I think you could be right, but where I see it failing is in the variables, soft turf vs firm turf, steep swing vs flat swing, etc. I'd love the input and maybe if they gave me 2 choices for each club I could educate myself enough as to which would work better in my conditions with my swing I'd buy into it, but if they selected them for me and I couldn't even stand to look down at them I'd be asking for my grand back and moving on to ebay or someplace else. I almost wish this is the way clubs were purchased from the beginning, it would be more bearable.

If golf wasn't such an ego-driven game at the amateur level, I'd agree that playing better golf would actually translate to people using it. But the number of people who would be mad if they sent their specs to TaylorMade and got a new driver at 13° would be entertaining if it weren't sad.

If I had an in-person fitting with the OEM and got to discuss my game and ideas for setting up my bag but the OEM got final say, I do not think I would have an issue. To just send in my specs and HC wouldn't work very well IMO. I play more hybrids and SGI sticks than you would expect based on my HC alone.

I should have been clearer. A fitting and numbers would be completed by each person.

I think this would be a great addition to The Morgan Cup in the future. Have each participant somehow (up to them how they get there) get to an OEM approved fitting and have their numbers and recommendations of the fitter sent to the respective OEM.

Wow interesting topic Mr. Kong this would be a super interesting experiment to do and see how it played out for the weekend or better yet the season.

I'd give it ago if it wasn't my money on the line, 2g on a gamble is too much for me. I think it would be interesting to see what happened when all specs/fitting results/numbers and weakness/strengths were taken into account.

In for one struggle off the tee and that is killing my HC, but play my irons much better than my HC suggests. For someone like me who put up matching #'s with a players GI vs a mb I'd like to see what they put me in and then here why exactly that is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I like it! Imagine if you go get fit, all of that info gets sent to the OEM, and you show up to Staff Sponsor Day not even know what clubs will be in the bag. Talk about anticipation!

I should have been clearer. A fitting and numbers would be completed by each person.
Will if this is the case I am find sending in my numbers and having them decide whats best for my game. I imagine if you can't him them for crap on friday they will probably work with you. But yeah Im good for sending my numbers in for the clubs.

I think a lot of this hinges on the type of fitting. Lets say I go to The Kingdom for a full fitting. I would bag whatever they decided because they clearly have the tech and know how to make that call.

Back