On-Course Behaviors That Drive You Crazy

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
What types of on-course behaviors drive you crazy? Not the behaviors of various pros (because that would just turn into an "I hate such-and-such [insert PGA pro]." Rather, the behaviors of people you have played with that make you mad, irritate you, or are so awful that you ensure that you'll never be paired with that person again? This could be enlightening. And who knows. Maybe people will describe things you do...

For me, I have two:

1. Slow players. I play fast. I don't care if you're a 30 hdcp or scratch, you don't need to line up your 4 ft putt from every angle, plum bob for 5 minutes, and then take 30 practice swings. Hit the d*mn ball.

2. Overly serious players. I get it. We all love golf and are trying to get better. But get over yourself. You're about to spend 4-5 hours walking around with people whom also love golf and are trying to get better. Smile once in awhile. Crack a joke. Drink a beer. The game should be fun, not a chore.

Probably my biggest pet peeve is (usually older) guys noodling around the water looking for balls or taking way too much time trying to find lost balls while the group behind them is standing on the tee box fuming. Golf is unfortunately like an easter egg hunt for some, at everyone else's expense ...

OK I lied ... my BIGGEST pet peeve are people who don't YELL fore !!!!!!!!!! Saying fore in a slightly elevated voice isn't good enough ... if your shot is bad enough to yell fore, clear the pipes and HOLLER it out. My FORE will get your attention, I assure you (it scares my wife) ...

My answer to these threads is always the guy who spits sunflower seeds on the green or leaves his cigar/cigarette butt on the green. If someone else behind you has to clean up your mess, then you are doing something wrong. Other than this, what you said is pretty universal yet it still continues to be a problem.

People that talk too much or try to give instruction on the course.

Mine all come from the same guy:

1: 5 full practice swings before every shot

2: Screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs when a shot goes bad. Look, I've got the foulest mouth on the planet, but there's other people around that you don't know and they're trying to enjoy playing golf.

The combination of these two makes me not want to join the group when he's there lately.

Having recently played with multiple THPers, I am getting self conscience.

The only guy that really bugs me is the guy who wants to play strict, until the first water ball. Then magically the round turns into a practice round.

Too many practice swings. The woods explorer/Jacques Cousteau looking for balls. Unsolicited swing tips guy. Mopey guy (this is my brother, it drives me mad).

There's also the explosively angry guy, but for some reason Mopey is worse.

Guys who take over 10 seconds to swing once they set up to the ball. You're just standing there....SWING already!!!

Haha, no THP'rs on that list buddy, everyone I've met and played with here is fantastic.

Yeah, I was just messing with you. I was actually on so much pain medication that I almost felt like I was being anti-social during Sunday's round.

the sales rep you get paired with that talks on the phone the whole round

The Phone Talkers, and the On-Course-Advicers.

Worst of all, those that do not repair divots. A friend started to get more into golf the past year, his Christmas gift from me was some golf stuff, with the most important piece being a Divot Repair Tool. Repair those Divots.

The Phone Talkers, and the On-Course-Advicers.

Worst of all, those that do not repair divots. A friend started to get more into golf the past year, his Christmas gift from me was some golf stuff, with the most important piece being a Divot Repair Tool. Repair those Divots.

There are not many things worse then seeing a green with many many pitch marks.. I usually fix a few before I leave..damn shame really.

My answer to these threads is always the guy who spits sunflower seeds on the green or leaves his cigar/cigarette butt on the green. If someone else behind you has to clean up your mess, then you are doing something wrong. Other than this, what you said is pretty universal yet it still continues to be a problem.

The very reason my course no longer sells sunflower seeds or smokes. I hate the assclowns that fly around on the cart path's on carts full speed only to slam on the breaks and skid the tires. Drive it like your paying for it (which I am as a member) or get lost! Anyone doing damage to the course or its equipment or leaving their trash behind, are more than likely lowlifes in all other parts of life.

The guy who you see multiple times searching for his ball for more than a minute.

I played a couple weeks ago and came up to the tee box to find the same guy looking for his tee shot at least 5 times, eventually drop somewhere randomly and proceed to chunk his next shot.

The group finally let me play through on 18, and one guy actually said "we were waiting for you to come up to the tee box" and assumed because I kept back near the last green and waited for them that I necessarily didn't want to play through as a single with nobody in front of them.

Seriously, should I have pulled right up to the tee box while they were teeing off to let them know I would like to play through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy who you see multiple times searching for his ball for more than a minute.

I played a couple weeks ago and came up to the tee box to find the same guy looking for his tee shot at least 5 times, eventually drop somewhere randomly and proceed to chunk his next shot.

The group finally let me play through on 18, and one guy actually said "we were waiting for you to come up to the tee box" and assumed because I kept back near the last green and waited for them that I necessarily didn't want to play through as a single with nobody in front of them.

Seriously, should I have pulled right up to the tee box while they were teeing off to let them know I would like to play through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have pulled up to let them know I was interested in playing through or at least sat in the cart and inched up away from the previous green. If I've got a single behind me that's hanging by the green, I don't assume that they don't want to play through, I assume they're being polite. I usually say something like "Come through whenever you're ready, just get our attention".

I don't automatically expect other people to be that aware of their surroundings on the golf course anymore.

I would say people who are not enjoying themselves on the course and showing it through there actions is the worst. I can deal with slow play and most other issues, but why golf if you're not going to enjoy it?

As for people hitting into my group, I will drive back to them and politely ask they rethink doing it again in the future. So far no ones had a problem with my request.

Club throwers tend to get to me. Other than that I can shake off most things.

Most of the above mentioned bother me as well as people who drive right up to or on the green in carts when they are perfectly capable of walking 25 yards from the cart path.

Aside from golfers that won't repair pitch marks on the green, I get irritated by Mr. Read-the-Green-Like-Tiger-Does. I'm not talking about tourney play, I mean the weekend guy that has to view his bogey putt from all corners of the green, then takes another few minutes to line up the putt. This is why I wish more Indiana courses would use rangers to speed up play.

Ever get stuck behind that group that you're waiting for on every hole but speeds off the next tee so you can't ask them to play through?

Plumb-Bobbers. Know how to do it? I know I don't.... thats why I don't Plumb-Bob.

Most of mine have been mentioned already, but I will say that my worst pet peeve is people who do not let faster groups through.

Back