looking for new irons for a 10 handicap

golfvt1

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking for new irons, as mentioned in the title, I am a 10 handicap. Irons must be forged. I am looking for a players iron that is cavity back...I want to work the ball a little bit and get good consistency. I really line the adams pro a12's. What other brands and model do you recommend??
Thanks,
Matt

Nike VR Pro Combos.

Taylormade TP CB's...if you can find them.

For once how about we cut your options down to more of a specific group of clubs. Tell us what exactly your looking for. Are you looking for a bigger club face or smaller? Do you want more of a full back like a cleveland or something simpler like the TM mc's. Everyone is going to put there 2 cents in because or brand preference but at least lest narrow the options.

I am looking for new irons, as mentioned in the title, I am a 10 handicap. Irons must be forged. I am looking for a players iron that is cavity back...I want to work the ball a little bit and get good consistency. I really line the adams pro a12's. What other brands and model do you recommend??
Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt!! Congrats on the new iron ponder! There's some amazing stuff out there so I'd definitely recommend going out and hitting a bunch, but here are some of my favourites..

Cleveland 588 CBs.
Bridgestone j40 DPC.
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro.
Adams CMB.

All great irons, all uniquely different from one another.

Hey Matt!! Congrats on the new iron ponder! There's some amazing stuff out there so I'd definitely recommend going out and hitting a bunch, but here are some of my favourites..

Cleveland 588 CBs.
Bridgestone j40 DPC.
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro.
Adams CMB.

All great irons, all uniquely different from one another.
Excellent list Dan. I also agree that the 2011 Taylormade cb's are great sticks.

Excellent list Dan. I also agree that the 2011 Taylormade cb's are great sticks.

The entire TaylorMade Tour Preferred line was great (and under appreciated) I think. The thing about them though, is that each of the three are incredibly unique and it takes a certain type of swing to make them work. At a 10 handicap, I think all three would be in play for Matt, with the CBs being the most forgiving and most likely to promote a higher launch all the way down to the MBs which are just ridiculously good.

Taylormade RBZ's. I love these clubs and i'm able to work the ball and they are very forgiving for me. Great distance as well.

Taylormade RBZ's. I love these clubs and i'm able to work the ball and they are very forgiving for me. Great distance as well.
He said a forged players club.

Any reason they must be forged? I'm a fan of the Cleveland 588cb's and Bridgestone J40's and would put those on my short list. Check out the reviews on here for the new Callaway XHot and XHot Pro's.

I'd suggest getting a fitting done - then you'll know exactly which clubs are best for you - regardless of the brand!

I know you said cb but I would recommend trying the mizuno MP-59s the are more forgiving than they appear. Also the titleist ap2s can work the ball and are forgiving but$100 more than the others.

The fact that you are a 10 handicap tells us nothing about your iron play. If you are a solid iron player, like to work the ball, and are looking for forgiveness in your longer irons...you may want to consider a split set. All of the major manufacturers make good clubs, you should go with the set that looks and feels the best. Unless your getting paid to play a certain brand, I wouldn't worry about the name on the club.

The fact that you are a 10 handicap tells us nothing about your iron play. If you are a solid iron player, like to work the ball, and are looking for forgiveness in your longer irons...you may want to consider a split set. All of the major manufacturers make good clubs, you should go with the set that looks and feels the best. Unless your getting paid to play a certain brand, I wouldn't worry about the name on the club.
+1. Also does the look have any effect on you? Do you want a small club like a j33 or do you like the big face.

Amp Cell pro. nuff said.

He said a forged players club.

I stand corrected toughestsoldier. I just felt that he shouldn't just look at forged. There are others he should consider.

I stand corrected toughestsoldier. I just felt that he shouldn't just look at forged. There are others he should consider.
I agree with you.
I think the original cobra amps are maybe as good as any club out there but I know I was just happier with a forged club over a cast club if for any other reason but the sound. Many times you can try to give people recommendations but when you want a certain type of club most people really dont like suggestions outside of what they have already decided they want to look at.

You might want to consider a split set of the Mizuno MP53's/ MP'59's. The 53's offer a little more forgiveness in the long irons.

You also might like the JPX 825 Pro's.

Or the jpx 800 pros :)

I play an 800/53 split set and love it. Long and forgiving in the long clubs workable in the shorts

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

All of the cool kids play Nike VR Pro Combos

I20s, unless you don't want to drop to a 7, that is...

I20s, unless you don't want to drop to a 7, that is...

No go. Op said the irons have to be forged. All of the good players play forged. It's how to tell that somebody Is serious about golf.

Back