3Bays GSA Pro VS Zepp GolfSense - which would best suit Me & My Goals

NitJay

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,

*EDIT Apologies it's the Zepp Golf Sense I want to compare the 3Bays to

A bit of background - I've read lots of information/reviews on THP and other sites on these devices, I'm conscious I don't want to ask what's already been answered. I've come to the conclusion that none of them are perfect, but they could be useful depending on what you want them for.

I would like to mention I do take lessons monthly and do range practice once a week with some home practice occasionally. I've tried to learn as much as possible about ball flight laws as well.

What I'm interested in finding out is which one would be most suitable to help with what I am trying to achieve:
The most important thing I'm working on is reducing an out-in plane. Through range work and some launch monitor practice I've found If I hit a ten or so balls, some will be in-out (if I really focus), others out-in and a few relatively square (measured on launch monitor tech indoors).

What I would like is to be able to take practice swings at home or take to the driving range and measure my swing plane so I can match what I feel to the result. I see this tech helping me with practice goals and providing accurate-ish feedback.

The second issue I have is that with longer clubs, my tempo goes all over the place - too much of a rush to get the swing over with. It would be useful to try and ensure that I am consistent through the bag.

Finally club face angle information would be nice, but I suppose I could use some knowledge of ball flight laws to decipher if the devices aren't accurate/worth it.

Any help would be really appreciated, they are reasonably expensive with the GolfSense considerably cheaper than the 3Bays so I want to get it right. I've narrowed it down to these two due to alignment/quality issues with the swingbyte 2 and the swingsmart is a little too pricey (+ not the easiest to place on a club)

Many thanks,

Hopefully Jman can chime in too. He tested almost all of them and came away with a favorite. I tested the 3Bays device, and it was ok. Had some shortcomings that I discussed in the review as well, but it sounds like it might be a fine match for what you are looking for. Can't comment on the other one you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply +1 for the 3bays!

I actually had the name of the second device wrong to begin with it's the Zepp Golf Sense.

One thing I would add on the 3bays is I'm not so interested in their verison of 'shot tracking' which I've read people on youtube video reviews etc questioning. To be honest even if it's 70% accurate that's pretty amazing on a £170 device vs £20,000 Trackman etc.

Last December I bought Zepp Golf Sensor over others and loving it. For me when Compared to 3Bay, Zepp is :
1. Way Cheaper
2. Connect to both Android and iOS. 3bays has different version for each. What if in the future I switch OS. Furthermore Zepp sensor is applicable to other sports for Tennis & Baseball which is interesting.
3. Mount on your Glove, not on the butt of grip. So it always stays there in your hand. Switching clubs to record is faster without plugging-unplungging the devices between clubs, on the range or while playing on course. Small device like this could be lost easily on a grip. I think I saw Zepp butt end mount golf grip as well on their website, but never available on sale and later they ditch it.
4. Zepp app on ios is very user friendly and easy to use.

Some other notes for consideration:
The Hip Rotation is up on Zepp firmware update earlier this year, but it's not yet implemented. I supposed it does the similar with its predecessor the GolfSense. I think the feature will be active shortly.

As for the battery, on a full charge Zepp will be last around 5 hours or more. So it's enough for a round of golf even for slow players. I only used it on driving range around 4.5-5hrs and the phone gotta be full charge. Bluetooth is really a drainer lol.

Okay, hope it helps.

I put the GolfSense way above the 3bays for me, in fact, in all the units I've reviewed or spent time with, the 3bays sits in last.

The GolfSense has good accuracy, you don't notice it on your glove a ton, and the information is solid and easy to grasp. If its just these two, its the GolfSense every time for me.

Thanks for the responses so far, I've gone back and re-read both the GolfSense and 3Bays reviews that you guys put on here - both seem good, but for the pricepoint perhaps the GolfSense is the way to go. They are about to (in the next few weeks) release the newer version here http://www.zepp.com/golf/ which I believe is already out in the US.

From what I can tell the two do the exact same thing (from a measurement point of view) but the app is slightly 'fresher' looking and you can use it for multiple sports (I don't play tennis or baseball so no good for me).

I'm going to take the plunge at the weekend on one of the two so all replies very much appreciated. Hopefully worth spending the money on rather than another club which I don't really need.

I have the 3 bays, its pretty decent. I noticed some connection issues every now and then and its kind of a pain keeping it flush at the end of the club. It will definitely tell you what you are doing in your swing though and show you visually where your mistakes are. I just found it to be a little tedious to use during practice session.

JMan, what was your top dawgy?

I've ordered the Zepp SwingSense to arrive tomorrow - I will update as to how I get on in-case anyone searches and finds this thread down the line.

Thanks to Jman and Hawk for your THP reviews and to everyone for contributing.

I've ordered the Zepp SwingSense to arrive tomorrow - I will update as to how I get on in-case anyone searches and finds this thread down the line.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Had an afternoon on the range with the GolfSense today - here are a few thoughts. Not a review at all, but just to close this thread off.

* I have some issues with it and my phone (Galaxy SII), it doens't pick up swings very often. I remedied this by using it with my tablet (Nexus 7) where it seems to then pickup every swing.

It definitely will help you to understand your swing. The first couple of times I swung without any swing thoughts and could see that I was taking the club back on one plane and then bringing it down and through on another which was above the backswing.

As soon as I started to purposefully correct that I could see that I was approaching the ball from the inside. What I liked was that I did all this in my garden doing practice swings then headed to the driving range to hit some balls. I found the actual 3d 'clip' it gives you of your swing a really good visual cue for swinging the club, almost like I was imagining myself tracing the lines as I swung.

I didn't look at it that often, only after a particularly bad or particularly good shot. I think that is where this device will help me, showing me why one shot was bad and another good. Some might have been out of tempo, others perhaps my takeaway was too far to the inside etc.

I can sit back this evening and look at my 'best swing' of the day, watch it back and remember the feeling and result.

So for me - definitely a useful tool and I think it will come into it's own when I inevitably go through a 'bad patch' as hopefully I can identify what is going wrong.

One feature - compare your swing to a Pro, is quite interesting, as you can watch by section the difference between your swing and an unamed PGA Pro. For me I can clearly see that my takeway is occasionally much more to the inside, but the most interesting part was that on the downswing I take a much more straight down route than the pro. I haven't worked out what this is caused by or why but it's something new for me to consider. Here is the pic - Blue is me Green is the Pro. When not in comparison mode, the backswing has a gold marker and down blue, but in comparison mode they are both blue.

Also this is just one viewpoint, as you may now you can rotate to view from above so you could see if you were swing Out-In, down the line to see whether you are OTT or not and so on.

I bought the 3bays after reading external reviews. It shows me the swing plane, the tempo, face angle, swing path, and consistency. Not really worried about the other numbers, as these already show me my swing is crap!! lol, as compared to the pro. I'm really impressed with this unit. I knew what I was doing wrong, and the visual actually confirms it. My brain needs to see this, not be told. I actually had a few swings where my swing path was actually good yesterday! I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in actually seeing your swing, and analyzing it with out a camera. I love the consistency percentage, after you actually get a nice swing. Nothing against the reviews here, but the final decision for me was between the 3bays (lightest one too) and the swingbyte 2, which are the top rated ones if you averaged out all the reviews online. Excluding the swingsmart which is too much money. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll help, and better golf is what we all seek right?

Back