Need insight from thp masters

Chip2Hole

Reaction score
Handicap
hey there ya'll...
wanted to see if anybody has done this, or will this process / concept would even work or be effective--Golf driver shaving which reduces the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance.

Im guessing the science
behind this is a thinner club face allows the face to flex more when it hits a ball and then spring back with much more velocity?:confused2:

And if I do this, will it make my driver a non conforming driver?

I would never alter the face. Plus, depending how much you shave, you will make the driver nonconforming.

I could be wrong, but that would definitely make your driver non conforming. The trampoline effect is one of the most restricted factors in driver tech.

I just had a couple of my members do that to their driver. It definitely makes the drivers illegal. On top of that, if you get it done, make sure whoever does it knows what they are doing and has a good reputation for doing it. One of them got theirs back and the job wasn't done well at all. It still made a difference on his driving distance, but the face wasn't smooth at all. That being said, I would definitely not recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1. You can't use it in tournaments 2. I will hurt the resale value of it.

It's just like shaving a metal baseball/softball bat. Gives it more pop, but makes the item illegal to use.

If you don't play in tournaments and don't care about resale value, go for it.

Once it is done, how would anyone know it was shaved?

If you don't play in tournaments and don't care about resale value, go for it.

Once it is done, how would anyone know it was shaved?

Im liking where your head is at Vegan!!! hahah.. who would even know you got it shaved...

I just had a couple of my members do that to their driver. It definitely makes the drivers illegal. On top of that, if you get it done, make sure whoever does it knows what they are doing and has a good reputation for doing it. One of them got theirs back and the job wasn't done well at all. It still made a difference on his driving distance, but the face wasn't smooth at all. That being said, I would definitely not recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1. You can't use it in tournaments 2. I will hurt the resale value of it.

Where you able to see the significant difference in ball launch n distance?

I guess my first question would be 'why'?

It's not something I would ever do (because I don't see a reason to) and I would have to think it'd make it non-conforming.

Im liking where your head is at Vegan!!! hahah.. who would even know you got it shaved...

Who would know? You would know. Golf is a game of integrity and honestly and you would be spitting all over it.

If you want to, I say go for it, its all about enjoying the game. I never understood why people get so uptight about what OTHERS do or want to do, in the end just HAVE FUN.

Keep in mind though, making the face thinner will also make it more susceptible to cracking and then there will be no manufacturers replacement bc of the alterations.

I've never seen one, not sure I'd be able to tell a difference by looking at it.

if you aren't going to play in tournaments go for it. I mean hell isn't TM about to release non-conforming equipment anyway? If it's to hit it longer and make the game more enjoyable for you then make it happen.

Where you able to see the significant difference in ball launch n distance?

You could definitely tell a difference in distance. Me and him normally hit the ball about the same distance, but after he did that, even on the shots that I hit really well, I was still about 15 or so yards short of him.

For the guys that want to know if you can tell a difference...it all depends on who does it. When you get it shaved, it takes all the markings off the face. If there was any design or whatever on the face, it will be gone. However, there are some people that will put all that back on there so you can't tell.

If money is no option, and people want to mess around with it? Sure.

For me, clubs are expensive, and I would never want to alter the club in a way that will potentially ruin it.

It's just like shaving a metal baseball/softball bat. Gives it more pop, but makes the item illegal to use.

In the softball world it's not illegal till you get caught. I bet 60% of the guys around here are swinging shaved bats. It is a shame

I think that many good points have been hit on here. If you understand the ramifications of doing it and it will make the game more fun for you, go for it. You wouldn't catch me doing anything like this, but you are free to do whatever you want to your equipment.

Who would know? You would know. Golf is a game of integrity and honestly and you would be spitting all over it.
i hear ya- i was just kidding... i actually wouldn't do it, just because you pay so much for your clubs and would hate someone elses paws on it and grind ur club face... it sounds crazy... i just had some questions and who are the poeple doing it..

Personally I don't see the point. I would also be worried of putting a golf ball sized hole in the face one day.

Whatever floats your boat my man. Like others have said, I'd be worried about cracking the face and not being about to return it, but if you want to experiment then have at it. It's not like you'll be using it in a PGA event, right? Just have fun, and let us know if you see any difference. I'd be curious to know.

As everyone has said it makes it illegal under USGA rules. It will incresse distance some what and leave the face more prone to cracking plus any warranty will be voided. I remember seeing an add for a company that does this some time ago

Thanks Guys!

I've never seen or heard of this and to be honest I can't see the point? If I was playing with someone that was hitting bombs and casually dropped it into conversation that they had "shaved" the face I'd be mad as hell and very likely to wrap it around their head, just saying.
The game is all about integrity and honesty, if you can't hit a ball far enough then work on your swing and get fitted for your clubs but do not cheat!

I've never seen or heard of this and to be honest I can't see the point? If I was playing with someone that was hitting bombs and casually dropped it into conversation that they had "shaved" the face I'd be mad as hell and very likely to wrap it around their head, just saying.
The game is all about integrity and honesty, if you can't hit a ball far enough then work on your swing and get fitted for your clubs but do not cheat!

hahahaha. I'm not going to lie, that sounds a touch extreme to me.

hahahaha. I'm not going to lie, that sounds a touch extreme to me.

BLU, surely you've realised by now I'm an extreme kinda guy? Lol

Back