USGA COR vs Nonconforming?

Landy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello - is there that much of a difference in a .830 vs .880 in distance on a driver?
Please share your thoughts and experience, thank you

Hello - is there that much of a difference in a .830 vs .880 in distance on a driver?
Please share your thoughts and experience, thank you

Since COR is a transfer of energy rating, .830 COR means that 83% of the driver energy is transferred to the Ball.

COR of .88 would mean that 88% of driver energy would be transferred to the ball

Here is a nice article http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/cor.htm

The article states that at a swing speed of 100mph, the difference between .82 and .83 COR is 4.2 yards of Carry. It isn't a linear relationship, but jumping up to .88 COR would probably lead to carry gains of around 20 yards or so.

I've never used a non conforming driver. .88 is about 6* more than .83, so I would expect you'd be able to get approximately 6% longer drives which is certainly a noticeable difference. For me it would mean average drives that are about 17 yards longer.

Now, playing casually I wouldn't care if other golfers used these drivers to make playing more fun, but I'll probably never game something considered non conforming by the rules.

Back