Taylormade Wedges - ATV or Speedblade? Or something else?

baldguy

Part-Time Sasquatch
Reaction score
Handicap
15.3 GHIN
Recently I've been thinking a lot about swapping out my wedges. I'm currently gaming a 50-55-60 set of Cleveland 588 RTX CBs that I really do like a lot. I have had them longer than my speedblade iron set, and I've gotten very accustomed to how they play. I'm pretty decent with them, if I do say so myself. the only time they really let me down is when interacting with heavy turf. Especially when I have to chip against the grain.

The *only* reason I'm considering swapping them out is that I've used my speedblade PW for chipping and short pitching a few times recently out of convenience and I really like the feel of it. The turf interaction is good, too - it doesn't feel like it gets caught up as easily as the 588s do in against-the-grain situations. I took it to the practice area and I really do like it for short shots, not just the 120yd full swing it was relegated to before. Anything inside of 120 was handled by one of the various cleveland wedges, so this club in the short game is a new thing for me.

Given how much I like the way this 45* PW works around the greens, it stands to reason that I would like the 50-55-60 versions, too... but since I can't quite put my finger on what exactly makes me like it so much. If I could figure out what about this PW makes it work so well for me, I'd have a better chance of figuring out what higher-lofted clubs would share those characteristics.

So, my question is this: does anyone game the higher lofted speedblade wedges who can compare them to the PW? Perhaps compare them to the ATVs? Neither of these sets is cheap unless it's beat up so I don't want to drop a bunch of cash chasing a matching feel that just won't be there. I've looked at Hopkins, Scor, etc as well and while they *look* like very solid wedges, I don't know if they will be an improvement over the 588s. What I do know though, is that if I can get the same feel out of a 50-55-60 set that I do out of my PW, I'll be very very happy.

Any and all recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Recently I've been thinking a lot about swapping out my wedges. I'm currently gaming a 50-55-60 set of Cleveland 588 RTX CBs that I really do like a lot. I have had them longer than my speedblade iron set, and I've gotten very accustomed to how they play. I'm pretty decent with them, if I do say so myself. the only time they really let me down is when interacting with heavy turf. Especially when I have to chip against the grain.

The *only* reason I'm considering swapping them out is that I've used my speedblade PW for chipping and short pitching a few times recently out of convenience and I really like the feel of it. The turf interaction is good, too - it doesn't feel like it gets caught up as easily as the 588s do in against-the-grain situations. I took it to the practice area and I really do like it for short shots, not just the 120yd full swing it was relegated to before. Anything inside of 120 was handled by one of the various cleveland wedges, so this club in the short game is a new thing for me.

Given how much I like the way this 45* PW works around the greens, it stands to reason that I would like the 50-55-60 versions, too... but since I can't quite put my finger on what exactly makes me like it so much. If I could figure out what about this PW makes it work so well for me, I'd have a better chance of figuring out what higher-lofted clubs would share those characteristics.

So, my question is this: does anyone game the higher lofted speedblade wedges who can compare them to the PW? Perhaps compare them to the ATVs? Neither of these sets is cheap unless it's beat up so I don't want to drop a bunch of cash chasing a matching feel that just won't be there. I've looked at Hopkins, Scor, etc as well and while they *look* like very solid wedges, I don't know if they will be an improvement over the 588s. What I do know though, is that if I can get the same feel out of a 50-55-60 set that I do out of my PW, I'll be very very happy.

Any and all recommendations welcome. Thanks!

ok i have the 588 rtx cbs as well as ATV`s and the speedblade AW,SW,LW.The set i am gaming just now are the speed blades ones as i got them fitted and made up the same way as my irons. Thats the only reason i am using the speed blades over my ATV`s. I just like the way the ATV sole works and how it works with any lie and turf condition and i dont have to worry about the bounce of the wedge.

ATV and Speedblade wedges play about the same. The ATV are cheaper as they are being replaced this year with the Tour Preferred ATV grind wedges, I payed as little as $17 for one of them off golfetailer auctions on ebay. I would suggest hitting up globalgolf or ebay and picking up the 50/56/60 and bending the 56 to 55.

Or if you have the cash, just go strait to SCOR wedges which play close to the ATV as well. I'm demoing a couple now against the ATV. They are great but expensive.

OR--->>> Just play the wedges you have and use the bounce of the club to hit against the grain.

The AW that comes with the 4-AW sets seem to be popular among testers for both the SpeedBlades and last years RocketBladez. The gaps seem to match up with what you already have, so I would definitely give them a good look. As a bonus, I love they way the match up with the SB irons, but that's purely aesthetic, and probably doesn't matter to most.

ok i have the 588 rtx cbs as well as ATV`s and the speedblade AW,SW,LW.The set i am gaming just now are the speed blades ones as i got them fitted and made up the same way as my irons. Thats the only reason i am using the speed blades over my ATV`s. I just like the way the ATV sole works and how it works with any lie and turf condition and i dont have to worry about the bounce of the wedge.

the sole on the speedblades does look a bit like that on the ATVs. does it not work as well?

the sole on the speedblades does look a bit like that on the ATVs. does it not work as well?

I believe it is their ATV grind on the speedblade wedges.

I have only been able to hit the speedblade wedges at the range, but I have found them very easy to hit off of the tight lies the mat gives me.

I thought the SpeedBlade AW was pretty good after giving it a shot. A bit oversized, but still keeping that 'aftermarket' look to it.

I personally like my GW to be like my PW then go to a more traditional wedge shape for the sand and lob.

The SpeedBlade AW is my favorite club in the set. I also think it flows really well with the ATV wedges. Just my suggestion based on my personal preference, would be to add the SpeedBlade AW and then ATV wedges in 55 and 60 degrees. ATV wedges can be found ridiculously cheap.

one thing to keep in mind if you switch to atv or speedbladez you might not be able to generate as much spin as with the RTX wedges

If you can wait another 1-2 months, the new Tour Preferred wedges will be hitting the market.

Back