THP Event Sign-up Process Change suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackenstein

Reaction score
Handicap
First off, I'm not trying to stir things up, nor am I questioning the already structured sign-up process. I'm just wondering if this is the most effective way of doing it. Is an email sign-up really the most robust method for attracting participation in these amazing events?

Current process:
Being a newcomer to The Hackers Paradise, I can't fully grasp the current event sign-up process which is done via emailing golfergal at a pre-announced date and time. Reason being is that internet speeds are different per members, event sign-up times are always during working hours and many people don't have access to an internet at that time, and not everyone has a smartphone with LTE speeds for reviewing the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thread of the event and then emailing golfergal in time to grab one of the limited spots. Do you all think this is fair, or the best way of doing this?

Proposed process (just an idea):
Because many of the events are spread geographically around the country, what if Albatross members in their respective regions get first dibs into the event closes to them (or THP Invitational Events at a minimum), then members that have yet to attend an event gets second dibs, then the event is open to all remaining members.

Summary:
Again, being a newbie and looking in from the outside, I'm just spectating and trying to improve a process, and in doing so, hopefully taking THP to a whole new level.
Please don't hate one me as I'm just curious to what everyone thinks at this point. If the comments aren't in favor, then maybe the forum leaders and members of staff can open this idea for discussion.

THP Events are very popular, and they have tried a wide number of ways to make this work, but regardless of methodology, whoever doesn't get in isn't happy. Thus they have gone to a first, come first served for quite a few events.

Is it really fair that someone who wants to travel should have to wait for all the locals to get into the event?

First off welcome to THP.
I want to point out that many of our events are not done on a first come first served basis.

However we do not believe in limiting attendance to locals if people choose to travel. What if someone is going to be in an area for work that week? What if they are planning a vacation around one of our events?

We know that some people get left out of events, and that is why we have added so many this year. With close to 15 events all around this country, we believe there is something for everybody.

While some events fill up, others take days and/or get expanded.

I also questioned this process back when I first signed up but have learned to accept it and actually agree with it...to a point. Since then, I have witnessed first hand the number of event sign ups across the country and like JB said there are plenty of opportunities to get in them.

While I myself am fairly new and have never had the pleasure of attending a THP event, I do know that many events are held in areas that typically contain a fairly high number of THPers. For this reason, your idea of giving locals preferential treatment for entries would be way more "unfair" than what you are currently considering to be an unfair system. I personally feel the current system works best in affording the widest range of people an opportunity to attend any given event.

Although I can relate to a point and ,having not attended a THP event myself, wouldn't mind a first-timer getting an added opportunity but,
geography isn't fair to those willing to make the investment to travel or to those members that have taken part in THP events before
and make the time to take advantage of all the great things THP has to offer.

I feel enough notice time is given for a person to make arrangements to be ready at the time of signups and I have no problem with it being first come first serve. This month will be the first time I try to enter and event but I can't see any reason this process isn't fair.

I think the process is as fair as can be. Plenty if notice is given to allow for people to overcome technical limitations. I think it's overstated, as I know a number of people have gotten in on cell phones using cellular coverage.

Geography might not be doable although I see nothing wrong with the 1st hour of signups to those that are "local". However, it could definitely be held open to 1st timers for X amount of time (I've attended one so this benefits me in no way). This is a very unique place and everyone should have a legit shot at participating, IMO. Idk the numbers but there are definite "regulars" for all THP events.

All that aside, I'll be emailing as soon as possible for Indy...

Geography might not be doable although I see nothing wrong with the 1st hour of signups to those that are "local". However, it could definitely be held open to 1st timers for X amount of time (I've attended one so this benefits me in no way). This is a very unique place and everyone should have a legit shot at participating, IMO. Idk the numbers but there are definite "regulars" for all THP events.

The numbers say otherwise outside of if a staff member is needed to assist us.
People get in from all walks of life from every location and just about every device.

What makes you think people don't have a legit shot at participating? The Morgan Cup just had 24 unbiased spots selected. Doesn't get more "legit shot" than that.

..well that's probably not accurate. "First email first served" is pretty legit shot as well.

Flip side, the desire to attend THP events from many new members is great to see.

I would think that if you limited the first hour to locals, the event would just be local filled. That doesn't seem to benefit people who would trade an arm or a leg to get out of certain climates during times of the year.

I guess I don't see how the current setup is unfair?

I don't agree with geography getting precedence, as a matter of fact I would argue the opposite. I imagine that my first THP event will go very well, and I hope I'll make quite a few friends at this event. Next year, if I fail to garner a spot at a similar local event, I can easily see going down on the off-days and getting in rounds with the THPer's that are there for the event. Sure, I won't get the swag, but I'm not attending the event for the swag or prizes ... those are just icing on the cake. It's the comradery around the love of golf that enticed me to become an Albatross member and sign up for a chance to play. I imagine I'd have just as much fun playing the day before and/or the day after an event as I did on the day of.

I've thought about the pro's and con's of the local aspect myself, especially since this year's Ocean City even is within 3 1/2 hour drive for me, and the others are really not from a practical standpoint. But really, if people are willing to travel then why penalize them? Not everyone gets "local" events.

As far as the first timer concept comes, i guess my opinion would be that a tie should probably go to the newer person or person that hadn't be able to attend an event this year. And when I say tie...it seems like these events are sold out literally in seconds. I would be a steak dinner that Ocean City is sold out in less than a minute (I can't pay up though JB unless I get in :clap:). So in that event, lets say in the first minute, 60 people email GG. In that instance, within the minute time frame (or 5 minutes or whatever time), you take first come first serve, with preference to people that haven't attended an event in the last year, or the calendar year. Now this completely works against me as I'm already attending #theking, but I do think it's probably the fairer way to go.

But at the end of the day, I'm completely happy with the way things are. JB & GG and Mike and everyone else involved with these events are already going above and beyond the call of duty, and really anything else is just nitpicking about personal preference, knowing that no solution is going to even be to the satisfaction of everybody.

Flip side, the desire to attend THP events from many new members is great to see.

"You're my boy Blu".
Every situation is a win or lose depending on your point of view. I choose to see the "win", if this many 1st timers are this excited about attending a THP event then something must be awesome. Embrace the awesome.

I don't agree with geography getting precedence, as a matter of fact I would argue the opposite. I imagine that my first THP event will go very well, and I hope I'll make quite a few friends at this event. Next year, if I fail to garner a spot at a similar local event, I can easily see going down on the off-days and getting in rounds with the THPer's that are there for the event. Sure, I won't get the swag, but I'm not attending the event for the swag or prizes ... those are just icing on the cake. It's the comradery around the love of golf that enticed me to become an Albatross member and sign up for a chance to play. I imagine I'd have just as much fun playing the day before and/or the day after an event as I did on the day of.

Well said. Had I not gotten into the Adams event, I would still play the extra rounds. These folks are just great to be around.

It's tough to please everyone unfortunately, but I think the way that it is set up now allows people as fair and unbiased chance as possible without anyone pointing the finger to "favoritism." It has to be encouraging that there are so many people that enjoy the site enough to sign up for these events. That's the important thing IMO.

Added "suggestion" to the thread title.

Idk the numbers but there are definite "regulars" for all THP events.

I may or may not be construed as a regular, but I've been to my fair share, for sure. But I absolutely plan my day around the sign-up. I know not everyone has that option, as I sit at a desk all day with my own timeframe that I also have mostly full control over.

I've pounded out emails at XX o'clock just like everyone else and sat waiting impatiently to see if I got into the event.

I think how THP sets it up for each event is fine. THP has a ton of members and a lot of events not everyone gets in. It's just the way it is. Just keep trying and wait for the next one they happen a lot it's very impressive. Also welcome to THP.

Instead of disecting the sign-up process like its an experiment, how about we praise THP and its staff for giving us 15 great events to sign up for. Pretty sure there isn't another forum out there, golf or not, that gives its members 15 chances to signup for events put on by the forum/website. Be Thankful for what you get for being a member here.

I have been to every THP event I wanted to go to. I get on planes like many others and do what I do. I don't see anything wrong with the process.

That being said, you don't get better if you don't change. I have seen changes in the entry process each and every year. It's fair and it open to all albatross members.

There is more than enough time given. Wait list are often filled and everyone has a good time. Some are contest and the best of the best get in (Morgan cup, the king, the granddaddy). I see nothing wring with the process and trying to please 100% of the people would be fail on the part of THP.

There are 15 events in 2014 that I would consider a steal based in what we get. If you want to go, sign up and go. Be active so you know what's going on and have your happy pants on when you get in.

Being as that i have only had the opportunity to try for 2 via email, I will say that it's about as fair as your going to get. The staff releases the information in plenty of time for you to set aside that 5 minutes. The following of Thp is massive and I truly don't see any other way to make it more fair. I missed out on both and while it is a little sad at first you have to keep in mind there are many more great events thought the year. Not to get too far in the weeds, but a quick tip or 2. Set aside the time 5 minutes before. Read the post about what information is needed in the mail completely and take your time on the email. Fat fingering or missing items is no bueno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back