THP Event Sign-up Process Change suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never read a first post that had so much knowledge of THP workings. Very odd.

I've read this entire thread and unless I've missed something, I cannot see the logic in how favoring one group, whether they be local or whatever, would make the entry process more "fair". That is descrimination which is by definition unfair. Everyone knows what's coming and has equal opportunity to enter. How much fairer can that be? Other events are through contests,and while some have better skills than others (Twitter, Vine, etc.), enough time is given for one to get up to speed. Hell, no one had to learn more about social media than I did this year. But, if you want it badly enough, you can do it. My two cents.

I would say sign up process is fair. The first come first served events allow for those trying hardest to get in because they want to go. Yes there are people with advantage with faster internet speeds or on a pc rather than phone... but there are so many events that it really makes for many opportunities. Then there are the contest sign ups. As a first year THPer I got picked for the MC. It was mot my forst attempt. I tried to get into #THEKING, The ultimate club testing for both callaway and TM, and entered just about every MC contest and was lucky to be picked on one of the final spots. To say the sign ups are fair is an understatement. There will always be unhappy people that dont make it into certain events. But THP has been known to expand slots for the event. The Morgan Cup added a fifth team, Hilton Head invitational allowed waitlisted people in after the sign up!

Process seems fair, different sign up times wouldn't be a bad thing though. For the 2 email to get in events that I have signed up for, I was able to get into, luckily neither sold out right away which allowed me to do this. The Gauntlet last year I was able to get on the waiting list and thankfully it was expanded and I got in. Lake Charles I signed up an hour or so I believe after the starting time and was able to get in, still not sure if it is sold out today. I would think having a time outside of normal working hours would enable some to have a better chance to get in. 8 or 9pm est would have most people at home on the East Coast and West Coast and wouldn't require those who work during the day to stop work to try and get an email sent in.

To just throw out an idea about signups since the thread was started, since there seems to be such a demand, have everyone who wants to attend send an email or have a signup list posted in advance and assign them each a number and a have random number generator pick. Avoids having to have people set aside time on signup days to try and get an email in, those with slower internet speeds don't have to worry and those who are working at that time or who may be sleeping cause they work nights, graveyard, etc to have a chance.

Process seems fair, different sign up times wouldn't be a bad thing though. For the 2 email to get in events that I have signed up for, I was able to get into, luckily neither sold out right away which allowed me to do this. The Gauntlet last year I was able to get on the waiting list and thankfully it was expanded and I got in. Lake Charles I signed up an hour or so I believe after the starting time and was able to get in, still not sure if it is sold out today. I would think having a time outside of normal working hours would enable some to have a better chance to get in. 8 or 9pm est would have most people at home on the East Coast and West Coast and wouldn't require those who work during the day to stop work to try and get an email sent in.

To just throw out an idea about signups since the thread was started, since there seems to be such a demand, have everyone who wants to attend send an email or have a signup list posted in advance and assign them each a number and a have random number generator pick. Avoids having to have people set aside time on signup days to try and get an email in, those with slower internet speeds don't have to worry and those who are working at that time or who may be sleeping cause they work nights, graveyard, etc to have a chance.

a lottery system has its merits, but is also complicated to implement properly and fairly, and really isn't much different from the first-come-first-served scenario. OP (who I agree does seem to be a shill account) doesn't fully understand technology. Internet bandwidth has little to do with how quickly an email gets transmitted, assuming it doesn't contain a large attachment. it really is more like a built-in lottery system. If there are 30 spots, and 50 people all send an email at the exact second signups are opened, they will not all get there in that same second. Some will get delayed a few seconds based on many inconsistent factors outside of their control. It could easily work out that Person A *sends* an email before person B, but Person B gets the spot because his email *arrives* sooner.

The fact is that there is no appreciable way to make signups 100% fair in everyone's eyes. I think that the THP staff truly wants it to be as fair as possible, and they're doing a good job of making that happen. Personally, I'm probably never going to get into any of the events that require crazy and creative stuff done via social media. That's not my forte at all, and I have a strong dislike for social media. But at the same time I realize that a big part of why these events are possible is the sponsors, and they don't share my tastes in communication medium... so I will just try to get in the events that have signups more in my wheelhouse. Would I prefer that it change? sure... but life is going to go on if it doesn't :)

THP has done a great job of creating an atmosphere that a /lot/ of people want to be a part of. That can only be a good thing. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but as the people we can try to find a way to be pleased with what is available. And be happy that there is a place like this at all.

No complaints here. First come first served works for me. Especially since I'm taking my talents to Lake Charles. BOOM (I do need to step up my creativity though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting talk of "shill" accounts. A bit of bashing the OP. "I got in every event I wanted" is the most amazing quote in this thread.

I have been fortunate in that I have gotten in to several bought & paid for events. I have read carefully and realize that phones send faster emails, so I use the laptop to see the thread/announcement & the smartphone for the email. I do not recall who told me that was the best way, but I am grateful. I do not care for the anxiety of trying to be one of the first within 2-5 seconds, looking like a crack head as I fumble to type out the entry email. That being said I value the events & the fun of playing with other golfer's that are equally crazy. If I said I have not been frustrated at times, it would be a bold faced lie. I have.

Based on my experience here I expect the OP was more afraid than I of blow back for suggesting something so crazy. If he/she is indeed already here, but posting as a pseudonymous THPer, there must be a reason. The harsh words that some of the posts seem to have bear out the choice to post by disguise.

With all that THP has to offer, it does have limited openings. That is factual. With thousands(I think) of users and hundreds( I think) of Albatross members, it is not a surprise that demand is outpacing supply. As someone once told me:"Treat them all fair, or treat them all unfair; but treat them all the same."

Hackenstein - If you are a real person. Welcome to THP. Hang in there & keep trying. You might eventually make it in, but only if you are an Albatross member. I did. If you are posting from a shill account, don't be afraid. Post what you need or want. Some may recount your actions in the HHJJ thread & others in the Rant thread. Such is life.

I hope to meet you in person.

Interesting talk of "shill" accounts. A bit of bashing the OP. "I got in every event I wanted" is the most amazing quote in this thread.

I have been fortunate in that I have gotten in to several bought & paid for events. I have read carefully and realize that phones send faster emails, so I use the laptop to see the thread/announcement & the smartphone for the email. I do not recall who told me that was the best way, but I am grateful. I do not care for the anxiety of trying to be one of the first within 2-5 seconds, looking like a crack head as I fumble to type out the entry email. That being said I value the events & the fun of playing with other golfer's that are equally crazy. If I said I have not been frustrated at times, it would be a bold faced lie. I have.

Based on my experience here I expect the OP was more afraid than I of blow back for suggesting something so crazy. If he/she is indeed already here, but posting as a pseudonymous THPer, there must be a reason. The harsh words that some of the posts seem to have bear out the choice to post by disguise.

With all that THP has to offer, it does have limited openings. That is factual. With thousands(I think) of users and hundreds( I think) of Albatross members, it is not a surprise that demand is outpacing supply. As someone once told me:"Treat them all fair, or treat them all unfair; but treat them all the same."

Hackenstein - If you are a real person. Welcome to THP. Hang in there & keep trying. You might eventually make it in, but only if you are an Albatross member. I did. If you are posting from a shill account, don't be afraid. Post what you need or want. Some may recount your actions in the HHJJ thread & others in the Rant thread. Such is life.

I hope to meet you in person.

Actually DB, calling something factual does have to depend on the view. Limited openings for events? I guess that depends on what you are comparing THP to. Compared to any other golf community? I would say that it is anything but limited. However since there is a finite number in total (hundreds), I guess in an odd way, one could say limited.

Your quote about treat them all fair or unfair is a bit of a stretch here to me. We believe that we have done things 100% fair. One can look at any event and see the people getting in and most would come to that same conclusion I have a feeling.

I also think everybody has been quite civil in this conversation, which yes, is from someone with an "alter ego".

I have been lucky enough to have gotten in to one event, and am attending another next month. The 1st was pure want and setup because I had entered enough to know the basics. The 2nd I was on the waiting list and they opened up more slots. Get on the waiting lists....... period.

Besides that... The THP Van can't go everywhere and please everyone and 15 events is quite a lot and I don't know if they'll want to do 15 after this year. There's a lot of work that goes into these behind the scenes, I'm sure. There is nothing stopping unofficial THP events that members set up. We had one here in the Sandhills last summer that was a great success, I think we had nearly 20 people show up. The Texas and FL/GA guys do it all the time as well and there's one brewing in South Carolina right now. While you may not get the "swag" or hoopla, you get the same main experience which is meeting a bunch of new people and having an absolute blast on the golf course. I guarantee you still come away with new people that you will refer to as friends.

Even if it's only 4 guys who have never met before meeting up at the golf course through THP, it's a great experience. 4 of us met up with smithfaced at his home course and had an absolute blast, mightyquinn and I play golf all over the Sandhills together. All of that is because of THP. It doesn't have to be a sanctioned or official event for you to feel the magic that is THP.

Be patient for your opportunity; be prepared to shine when it comes.

The only experiences I've had with the THP events has been good, getting in to the Ultimate testing was pretty specific based on needs regarding club styles and even though I was driving during sign ups for the Hilton Head event and couldn't sign up, reasonable accommodation is made and there's a waiting list to put your name on in the event they add teams or someone cancels. I don't think there's a perfect selection process out there that will suit everyone but I think they do a pretty good job of accommodating us best they can. I don't see anyone else out there doing anything close to this.

For someone who lives in California I am glad it is first come first serve. If this was limited to the Regional first I would have no shot getting to an event. But I am thankful THP does it the way they do. And as a new member I was able last year to get into the Callaway Event from California as one of 16 people. But I do not think it would be fair to do it the way you suggested.

First off, I'm not trying to stir things up, nor am I questioning the already structured sign-up process. I'm just wondering if this is the most effective way of doing it. Is an email sign-up really the most robust method for attracting participation in these amazing events?

Current process:
Being a newcomer to The Hackers Paradise, I can't fully grasp the current event sign-up process which is done via emailing golfergal at a pre-announced date and time. Reason being is that internet speeds are different per members, event sign-up times are always during working hours and many people don't have access to an internet at that time, and not everyone has a smartphone with LTE speeds for reviewing the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thread of the event and then emailing golfergal in time to grab one of the limited spots. Do you all think this is fair, or the best way of doing this?

Proposed process (just an idea):
Because many of the events are spread geographically around the country, what if Albatross members in their respective regions get first dibs into the event closes to them (or THP Invitational Events at a minimum), then members that have yet to attend an event gets second dibs, then the event is open to all remaining members.

Summary:
Again, being a newbie and looking in from the outside, I'm just spectating and trying to improve a process, and in doing so, hopefully taking THP to a whole new level.
Please don't hate one me as I'm just curious to what everyone thinks at this point. If the comments aren't in favor, then maybe the forum leaders and members of staff can open this idea for discussion.
Welcome to THP. When this was posted 2/5 you had been a member for five days or less. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think we had any sign ups for events during that time. Your knowledge of how things transpire here is quite stunning. I guess you could have been lurking as a guest for quite a while. That said, if you have been lurking as a guest, then you have probably already seen many different iterations of signups and know that things are effective and 100% of the people will never be pleased 100% of the time.

Hang in and try for some. You may be surprised at what happens if you take the time to try. Good luck on your first attempt to get into an event and the more involved you stay around the forums the more aware you will be regarding sign ups etc.

Good luck and welcome to the best Golf Forum Period!

JM

Not interested in this suggestion, but GLWS!

Actually DB, calling something factual does have to depend on the view. Limited openings for events? I guess that depends on what you are comparing THP to. Compared to any other golf community? I would say that it is anything but limited. However since there is a finite number in total (hundreds), I guess in an odd way, one could say limited.

Your quote about treat them all fair or unfair is a bit of a stretch here to me. We believe that we have done things 100% fair. One can look at any event and see the people getting in and most would come to that same conclusion I have a feeling.

I also think everybody has been quite civil in this conversation, which yes, is from someone with an "alter ego".

JB I am not comparing THP to any other board, there is no comparison. THP truly is cutting edge in so many ways & has supplied me with so many great memories. When I say limited numbers in events, 40 people in an event versus the thousands in here is limited. That is factual & true. Not good or bad, just reality. As for the fair/unfair, I don't disagree that you have been as fair as anyone could be. THP is in a difficult spot when it comes to events & contests. THP has things sooo many people want to be a part of, me included. Things, that in many cases, can only be had here. That being said, it is the perfect setup for many to be disappointed. Me included! Of course I would love to win every contest & make every event. I am a golfer, & I am super competitive, too. Reality is I can't make every event, which makes the stakes higher for me when I have one I can make. If the events weren't so fun, entertaining, and full of great possibilities I wouldn't be frustrated if I missed them.

What I am saying is that you can't please all of the people all of the time. As a small biz owner, I should know.

I hope the OP chooses to forge ahead & get involved. There are so many good people in here. So many great opportunities. So many memories just waiting.

The regional suggestion won't for the reasons already suggested. However, as somebody who works with statistics pretty regularly, the likely most 'fair' method would be to have sign up open for a given amount of time and then random drawings from that lot. Statistics would then even things out. Otherwise, you are penalizing people who have things in their lives that make it difficult to read thp every day (and several times a day, let's be honest) or have other circumstances beyond their control that skews the plating field, so to speak.

I'm only referring to the 'first to email' stuff. The MC and similar events, are fun to watch the selection process.

The regional suggestion won't for the reasons already suggested. However, as somebody who works with statistics pretty regularly, the likely most 'fair' method would be to have sign up open for a given amount of time and then random drawings from that lot. Statistics would then even things out. Otherwise, you are penalizing people who have things in their lives that make it difficult to read thp every day (and several times a day, let's be honest) or have other circumstances beyond their control that skews the plating field, so to speak.

I'm only referring to the 'first to email' stuff. The MC and similar events, are fun to watch the selection process.

Plenty of notice is given as to when sign-ups will take place. Sending an email in at a designated date and time does the take more than 10 seconds. If someone wants to attend and event they will make the necessary time to send in an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back