Hotel Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

That's great info thanks for posting that. We stayed at one hyatt place last year and loved it, affordable, comfortable, quiet, and clean.

This app is great, just ported over my southwest info
Since you use multiple programs, grab a free app called AwardWallet.
Get it setup so that all of your reward numbers are in one place and it will sync for you.
That will be the first step.

This app is great, just ported over my southwest info

The only downfall in the app is that while it holds airline info, it does not update it with points.
With the hotel programs, it updates them with your points each day and you can manually update too.

Not necessarily. They all have their plusses and minuses depending on usage and preference. We found that for the lower level hotels, we have preferred Hyatt Place to that of Hampton Inns, Courtyards, Four Points, etc. And when we are on the road and are stopping for merely a quick night's sleep, we choose price over luxury for obvious reasons. We also like the credit card that they have. It was between Starwood and Hyatt for us in terms of which was going to be our main property and we went with Hyatt for that reason.

The lower level Starwood properties are not all that great; Sheratons are hit or miss and the new Alofts are usually anything from a glorified motel or hostel to a low grade hotel. For that reason, I go to Marriott properties when there isn't a Westin nearby. Maybe I'll check out Hyatt in terms of their lower level places and points system to see if it's worth switching from Marriott.

The lower level Starwood properties are not all that great; Sheratons are hit or miss and the new Alofts are usually anything from a glorified motel or hostel to a low grade hotel. For that reason, I go to Marriott properties when there isn't a Westin nearby. Maybe I'll check out Hyatt in terms of their lower level places and points system to see if it's worth switching from Marriott.

We actually switched from Marriott to Hyatt. Chase made it easy to switch the card since both were from them. They both devalued this year, but Hyatt's was far less killing than Marriott was. Plus, the card with Hyatt gave me auto platinum (second tier down from Diamond) compared to Marriott's card giving basically nothing outside of 50k points.

We love Westins and W's. And like a few other SPG properties. Sheraton Suites can be great (see Carlsbad), but they can also be absolutely awful. Aloft to me is similar to your thoughts, but overpriced. We will continue to use them, but shifted to Hyatt because redemption rates per dollar spent was significantly better for us.

Aloft was terrible, we stayed at one in Charleston and it was dirty, noisy, and just terrible.

The points guy is a friend (lives in FL) and I enjoy his site but you really have to want to redeem his way and travel his way to get the most out of his card recs. Because if you compare cost per redemption spg does not add up anymore despite the Delta partnership and the bonus for airlines. It is still almost double the dollar per dollar redemption compared to others. I'm traveling but will add a chart showing this when I return.

And this coming from an Amex spg card holder and fan of their properties (I was in one last week).

Here are the breakdowns for those interested. Im not a huge fan of Club Carlson, but they rank #1 with just about everybody in terms of dollars per redemption. Then add in a few other things such as no auto elite with credit card, etc, and non-full time travelers can very much struggle with SPG when compared directly to other programs.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/05/04/...ty-program-series-burning-points-conclusions/

We have done the math ourselves after the recent devals done by many groups and its very similar to this math. The dollars to earn and burn just dont add up compared to others. We love many of their properties and like the program for a few other things, but based strictly on redemption and earning, his numbers are pretty accurate.

Hey guys, I work at a Wyndham Garden. Just thought I would take the chance to offer to sign anyone up who wants to sign up. I know for some people, even though its free, they pass on signing up because the front desk is pushy, there's stuff to fill out, etc.

So if you want, PM me your name, address, email and phone and whether or not you'd like a points summary emailed to you, or Wyndham updates/promotions.

I'll do all the work for you, and I'll reply with your Wyndham Rewards number.

Good summary article on the best credit cards for travel rewards right now: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/top...ewards/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've been doing some research on the best credit cards for my situation recently, and I'm majorly considering adding that Chase Sapphire Preferred at some point down the line. For now I'm hanging on to my Delta card, because I'm about 95% sure I'm going to get my flight to #TheKing for free on points within the next month, but after that I will be seriously considering it. Read the Points Guy before as well, amazing the stuff he gets for free.

Also considering adding a Capital One Quicksilver for my "other" credit card (in addition to my Delta Amex) very soon, since it has no foreign fees, not everybody takes Amex (especially outside the US), and my Wells Fargo card sucks super hard (it was my first credit card). Anybody have this one, or have a better recommendation?

I've been doing some research on the best credit cards for my situation recently, and I'm majorly considering adding that Chase Sapphire Preferred at some point down the line. For now I'm hanging on to my Delta card, because I'm about 95% sure I'm going to get my flight to #TheKing for free on points within the next month, but after that I will be seriously considering it. Read the Points Guy before as well, amazing the stuff he gets for free.

Also considering adding a Capital One Quicksilver for my "other" credit card (in addition to my Delta Amex) very soon, since it has no foreign fees, not everybody takes Amex (especially outside the US), and my Wells Fargo card sucks super hard (it was my first credit card). Anybody have this one, or have a better recommendation?

Yeah the sapphire is an awesome card and the one I was getting til the SW deal popped up...now might wait a bit before getting that one too

Yeah the sapphire is an awesome card and the one I was getting til the SW deal popped up...now might wait a bit before getting that one too

Sapphire points are flying me to Orlando twice this summer for THP events!

Sapphire points are flying me to Orlando twice this summer for THP events!

Yeah I got 3 flights with the SW card right now and not sure where I'm flying lol

Yeah I got 3 flights with the SW card right now and not sure where I'm flying lol

That's sweet dude. This will be the third free flight the Delta card has gotten me as well, so pretty solid!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

That's sweet dude. This will be the third free flight the Delta card has gotten me as well, so pretty solid!

Yeah I also have the delta Amex which was a necessity when I lived in cincy since it was a hub...not so much anymore, have had a few flights free, a few I've used partial credit towards and a companion ticket. 2014 is probably my last year with it.

I'm pretty sure I can squeeze three flights out of my SW points; and a fourth with my Sapphire points. Makes for an awesome THP year.

Yeah I also have the delta Amex which was a necessity when I lived in cincy since it was a hub...not so much anymore, have had a few flights free, a few I've used partial credit towards and a companion ticket. 2014 is probably my last year with it.

Ya I got mine cause I lived in Salt Lake City the last 2 years, and like 3/4 of the flight traffic there is Delta. Would definitely pass it over for the Sapphire, but I may be moving back to SLC so want to hang on for at least a bit longer.

Things are progressing nicely on the miles front.

Now have almost 64,000 SWA miles.

Will soon have over 52,000 with AA.

Just opened final card (Amex) for a Delta account where I'll get the bonus 30,000 miles.

Will begin using either AA or Delta card as primary card to cover airfare for the wife and I to Ireland in 2015 after we meet the Amex minimum.

Pretty easy to do and well worth the miles we are racking up.

Nice Cookie. Question for you. And just from an outsiders perspective. Would you have been better going to with 2 airlines cards and one hotel card rather than 3 airlines cards?

Nice Cookie. Question for you. And just from an outsiders perspective. Would you have been better going to with 2 airlines cards and one hotel card rather than 3 airlines cards?

Quite possible. Just seems that most of the time I travel it's for scenarios where lodging is already pre-determined.

I liked the idea of having the option of multiple airlines to choose from.

If the wife and I start doing more travel where we find ourselves paying for hotels of our choice then I'll likely open one of those eventually.

At this point I see us doing more things where we stay at a resort or we fly somewhere, grab a rental and then stay at different places each night (driving through countryside, etc). She really wants to make a northeast trip with no real plans...just land and start driving.

Gotcha. Makes sense. FWIW, if you decide to go that route, Chase will be happy to switch your card (SW) to another offering. Amex will not, but Citi might.

Gotcha. Makes sense. FWIW, if you decide to go that route, Chase will be happy to switch your card (SW) to another offering. Amex will not, but Citi might.

Ahh, great info - was not aware of that. Thank ya sir!

JB,
If was was to "slide" some of my credit line on the SW card over to another chase product, will they do another pull on my credit?

JB,
If was was to "slide" some of my credit line on the SW card over to another chase product, will they do another pull on my credit?
I'll let JB answer this specifically, but I just opened a Sapphire card, and the documentation included that mentioned this maneuvering of credit line between cards said nothing about credit pulls (that I remember anyway).

Back