Harry Arnett - THP Radio - Your Thoughts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP Radio will be interviewing Harry Arnett again today from Callaway Golf. Some of our most memorable shows feature Harry discussing everything you would want to know about the golf industry. Today's interview will be raw, uncut and he says we can ask him anything we want.

So what would you like to know?

Does he think the apparent regression in golfers according to some studies has more to do with the economy, or the actual aspects of golf that need to be changed?

#TheKing

Is he ok with everyone witnessing him crying like a baby after Team Chad whoops up on him in #TheKing?? :alien:

Serious question: Besides TaylorMade, who does he think is a company that Callaway needs to watch out for in the Five Year War, and why? I mean, is there a company that maybe is a little bit of an underdog that he thinks could become a serious competitor in the future?

What is his take on Hackgolf? Does he see Callaway contributing to the effort?

From an oem perspective what does a company like thp bring to the golf industry?

Harry Arnett - THP Radio - Your Thoughts?

Presumably, the Callaway R&D Department knew how phenomenal the 2014 line of drivers would be. I remember Harry telling people on twitter to wait and see the 2014 line when we were raving about the 2013 drivers. (The same thing really could be said about irons as well.)

With that said, was there ever the thought of skipping the 2013 line and just pushing forward with the 2014 drivers? They just seem so revolutionary in concept that I would think the urge to rush them to market would be incredibly strong.

Also, breakfast sliders or doughnuts -- which one makes the Arnett breakfast plate? (Difficulty: both would be made in-house at The Hideaway Golf Club)

THP Radio will be interviewing Harry Arnett again today from Callaway Golf. Some of our most memorable shows feature Harry discussing everything you would want to know about the golf industry. Today's interview will be raw, uncut and he says we can ask him anything we want.

So what would you like to know?

Here are a couple random questions I'd like to hear from him:

1 - What is the best grip ever designed, in his opinion, and why?

2 - Driver lengths.. What's more important for amateurs, getting them a 46+ inch driver to boast more distance, or fitting them to the right length for control?

3 - Odyssey is incredibly known, however, I've always seen them in a different light from the Bettinardi's or the Scotty Cameron's of the world. Part of it is perception of course, and part of it seems to be because Odyssey is more accommodating at a more reasonable price --- But is that ever brought into the conversation that perceptive gap? (this is coming from a guy who would game the black series tour design over any Scotty, fwiw)

4 - Fittings are always about finding the right balance of numbers whenever I experience them. If you had to put a ranking on each characteristic of a fitting, be it spin, launch, dispersion, descent... How would they stack up? What's priority 1?

What were his takeaways from the PGA show? Who thought of the tank?

Market reception of BerthasBack and release of the Apex/Pro irons?

I would like to know:

1) Does he feel like they finally really have the momentum rolling with the impact the release of the 2014 line has brought with it as far as all of the positive feedback and excitement it has generated is concerned.

2) How do they plan on keeping hold of that momentum and keeping it moving down the tracks?

3) How excited is he for #TheKing and #Grandaddy2?

4) Is he ready to go head to head in singles with Jman (the "thats a stupid name" guy)? How will it feel when he loses to someone with such a dumb name?

I would like to know:

1) Does he feel like they finally really have the momentum rolling with the impact the release of the 2014 line has brought with it as far as all of the positive feedback and excitement it has generated is concerned.

2) How do they plan on keeping hold of that momentum and keeping it moving down the tracks?

3) How excited is he for #TheKing and #Grandaddy2?

4) Is he ready to go head to head in singles with Jman (the "thats a stupid name" guy)?

Add Gauntlet to # 3

I have a few:

1. I posted it on Twitter, but will post here also. What is his take on the 'hack golf' initiative that was introduced during the PGA show this year.

2. With all the OEM's introducing new products each year & claiming you will see increased performance from the previous year, how easy or hard is that to sell when just 8-10 months prior they were touting the same message from the previous product cycle?

3. How is Callaway trying to sustain the progress they have made with the recent turnaround of the brand perception & not fall back into being considered one of the lesser OEM's in terms of products, apparel, etc.?

Do they plan for the 5 year war to really take that long given the phenomenal early success of Callaway. Personally I think they are way ahead of a 5 year schedule.

What are the chances of me acquiring a job as a personal assistant to the one and only? I do have an eye for delicious breakfast pastries and a fabulous cup of coffee.

I have an additional question.

After accusations of stealing #Chad's OptiForce at the last Morgan Cup (I suppose I can't blame him, I probably should have never let it go), I'd like to take him down a peg or two in December this year. Do you #ZooCrew'ers feel like there is a notable target on your back heading into the second year of the Grandaddy? Pretty sure the guys were just being polite last year in giving you a false sense of confidence.

#NeverAgain #TheBeltStaysWithTHP

I'd be interested in his thoughts on Hack Golf as well.

Also what do they feel they still need to accomplish in the 5 year war. What is next "battle" if he can say.

Drivers & fairway Clubs are becoming more & more adjustable, how much much more adjustability is left?

Callaway is clearly the leader in social Media who does he see as there closest competitor in that category?

Who wins in an arm wrestling match, Harry or Chad?

Would like to hear his thoughts about the PGA Show. More so from the theory of dressing up a booth in order to attract the customer vs some of the other styles we saw. Also what he believes the show accomplishes now with majority of the products being announced or released prior to demo day.

On THP Side - Callaway has been a part of the Morgan Cup since it's inception. What about the MC makes it a attractive option to Callaway to the point that they keep coming back year after year?

Actually thought of another question that was kind of spurned from ATL's great question. How long are their R&D cycles? i.e. Do they already have 2015 clubs done and working on 2016, or is it more of a real time process? Are they at all affected by reaction to what other brands put out, or do they try to drive the market with their own ideas regardless of other offerings?

Some terrific questions already. Looking forward to this episode. Love the questions about hackgolf and I want to know if Harry thinks there will be more of a focus on getting more people into the game from OEM's or of he thinks that should be left to the PGA, USGA, or similar organizations.

I like Canadan's question on driver lengths, A LOT. Would really like to hear him talk about why they decide to put longer shafts into a driver when for most amateurs, a shorter shaft would be better for them from an accuracy standpoint. I'm hoping to get more than the "Distance Sells" answer.

Another question to add:

What does he think is one of the major hurdles that is preventing more people from enjoying the game? Non conforming clubs? Altered course design? Or is it something else?

There is a great THP Radio show with Tim Gillis (Shaft Expert) where he answers the exact question about shaft length.

Was chatting with Anthony Taranto last night on twitter. You may know him by the stamping pictures on twitter. An idea came up that I'd like Harry's input on...

What do you seem coming of the #teamcallaway package? I understand it's in its infancy, but I'd love to see it expanded to include some additional access to "tour" services (i.e. stamping) or even equipment. Might be an unique way for loyal Callaway fans to have their equipment treated/customized like the pro's. Obviously different pricing would apply for the expansion.

Last edited:
So many good questions so far.

My question: how does he ever get anything done with how active he is on Twitter? Also, with the discontinuation of the upro service, are there any other non-core lines they are looking to get out of, or even into?

Back