Harry Arnett - THP Radio - Your Thoughts?

To me, I am very interested in how Harry feels Callaway has progressed so far in the 5 year war? Are they ahead of schedule, on pace or behind schedule?

Also, curious as to his thoughts on HACK Golf, and the overall state of the game. Do we need to adjust the game because it is in trouble or is this natural regression coming off the extreme growth of the "Tiger" peak?

Also, after the Kool Mo Dee convo, was he with Dre or Eazy E in the early 90s?

Can't wait for this interview. Some great questions already, I'll feed off some of those.

Does he truly believe there is an issue with the amount of people playing golf? If so, what does he think can turn it around? Could part of it just be that there are far too many golf courses across the US? To me, the amount of courses I can get to in just a few minute drive is kind of crazy.

This is the one I put on Twitter, then maybe a couple more if I think of some.

1) What specific successes have even surprised Harry (et al) leading to the increased speed of Callaway's turnaround?

2) Do they view the Callaway-branded clothing lines (not headwear) as something worth emphasizing and important for brand advertising, or as purely a complementary product? Maybe asked a different way, how important do they view the success of the Callaway-branded clothing lines compared to the hard goods?

3) From a general sense (not specifically toward upcoming releases), where does Harry view Callaway still needing to improve, or specifically still behind the pace of other? Design/Technology, Advertising/Marketing, Tour Presence?

I like Canadan's question on driver lengths, A LOT. Would really like to hear him talk about why they decide to put longer shafts into a driver when for most amateurs, a shorter shaft would be better for them from an accuracy standpoint. I'm hoping to get more than the "Distance Sells" answer.

Another question to add:

What does he think is one of the major hurdles that is preventing more people from enjoying the game? Non conforming clubs? Altered course design? Or is it something else?

Not trying to thread-jack this thread at all. (Terrific questions so far, by the way)

The guys at the ECPC is Carlsbad told us that the pros rarely get drivers over 45" in length, and a lot of them are actually under 45". The rationale is that the focus should be on center contact to generate ball speed instead of length of the shaft/resulting arc generating ball speed.

I noticed a lot of questions on shaft length, so I thought I'd chime in.

Not trying to thread-jack this thread at all. (Terrific questions so far, by the way)

The guys at the ECPC is Carlsbad told us that the pros rarely get drivers over 45" in length, and a lot of them are actually under 45". The rationale is that the focus should be on center contact to generate ball speed instead of length of the shaft/resulting arc generating ball speed.

I noticed a lot of questions on shaft length, so I thought I'd chime in.

Maybe a good question for him then is why do they sell them with stock shafts that are longer?

What were his takeaways from the PGA show? Who thought of the tank?

Market reception of BerthasBack and release of the Apex/Pro irons?

to piggyback, and JB you could probably just answer this, was the Apex line ignored at the "show" because it was a 2013 release? I mean, it was late enough to be '14, and it's still a hot line, right? It just seems they've already been pushed aside for the X2 and BB stuff.

Edit....where's my Apex apparel, bags, etc?

On a scale of 1-10 please rate how much you are annoyed by internet weirdos on a daily basis.

There is a great THP Radio show with Tim Gillis (Shaft Expert) where he answers the exact question about shaft length.

I'll check it out. Thanks JB.

I'd like to hear Harry speak on the tour players that are part of Callaway (web.com and lpga too) and their role and participation in furthering the Callaway brand. What is Harry excited about with respect to the players on tour, what are they excited about, and how does that translate to the everyday golfer. Maybe also talk about the Kings of Distance and the HammerIt badges.

Going with the shaft length question. I'll add to it by asking if they could add to the selection of drivers with different lengths for the stores to order when stocking their shelves like a 44,44.5, 44.75, or 45, etc. I bet if the stores could stock a few of the shorter shafted drivers, they would be hot ticket items.

I want to know Harry's answer to an age old question.

Ginger or MaryAnn? And why!
And
Betty Rubble, or Wilma Flintstone?

Kings of Distance is a great slogan and marketing campaign. X2hot irons have a 5 yard incremental versus the X hot model. Do you see this continuing in the near future, or will distance be "capped"? Hitting a 7 iron 190 yds is a bit mind boggling even for an amateur golfer.

Ask him to autograph a Callaway cap and I'll pick it up at the King. That way when he becomes CEO and the cap goes astronomical in value, I can head out to Vegas and barter it on the Pawn Star show. I wouldn't actually sell it because Rick would not have enough money to pay for it. :D

I can't wait to listen!

I'd love to know the biggest challenge to him as a golf marketer?

Is 17/1700 a target that their R&D team is chasing?

Does Callaway have a plan for getting Callaway product into Canadian stores quicker?

I can't find X2Hot or Bertha stuff anywhere in my local stores!

Does Callaway have a plan for getting Callaway product into Canadian stores quicker?

I can't find X2Hot or Bertha stuff anywhere in my local stores!

Bertha stuff hasn't been released anywhere yet.

It is trickling into fitting carts.

Who is his favorite interview and why? Which interview did he learn the most from and what was it?

Thanks! Excited to tune in for this one.

His thoughts on #TheKing and who might be on his team from the ZooCrew

How many Chad's does it take to change a lightbulb?

His favorite moment from the PGA show.

When will Callaway bring to market an ultra-low spin driver like the Taylormade SLDR. Maybe they should call it the "slider"?
AND when will you have a smaller headed Bertha or Slider?

Last edited:
20 more minutes to get questions in.

Von Erichs or the Fabulous Freebirds?

Meat loaf. Is it a real meal or just a loaf of meat?

How would he assess his current path of the 5 year war? Any goals up to this point unfulfilled?

20 more minutes to get questions in.

Fark, missed my chance to ask a question. Stupid job. Why does it require me to have time away from THP.

Seriously, though some great questions already.

I was going to ask Harry what his thought would be about extending the PGA show for 2 days that would be open to the public? So much great stuff that golfers like me would love to see. THP coverage is phenomenal but still a dream to see it in person one day.

Back