TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

Red Tail. Had a rain check for 9 and got up early to be the 1st person off so I could get back to an assortment of family obligations. Made it around in 1:45, mostly playing two balls.

Red Tail. Had a rain check for 9 and got up early to be the 1st person off so I could get back to an assortment of family obligations. Made it around in 1:45, mostly playing two balls.
How was the course? Might play today

Actually pretty decent. Definitely playable.

Has anyone compared these to the i20s?? Please point me in the right direction if so. Thx.

Hold that thought! Hahahaha

I can address that one when I get home tonight and have some time for sure for ya.

Had a brief session with the Bladez today, which seems like forever since my last swing with all of the blizzard issues we have had up here. I was able to hit a small bucket of balls on the outdoor range before my hands went numb (23* temps with 15-20mph wind directly in my face). I focused today on the long irons (4, 5, &6) to see what would happen into the wind and boy was I impressed!!

The 4i was the club the stole my heart today, after focusing on a nice smooth "slow" swing and keeping my hands ahead of the clubhead through impact, I achieved a mid-flighted piercing shot that was dead straight rising to a peak and dropping off a cliff. The sound of a well-struck 4i is still so unique that the owner if the range who was doing some repairs nearby stopped to comment on it. My dispersion was within 10yds left and right of the green which is perfect for me considering the wind and hitting range rocks.

The 5i climbed very quickly and dropped more dramatically but still seemed to pierce through the wind and was not ballooning. The same smooth slow swing with the stock stiff rockefuel shafts I feel was the key to successful shots again. I seem to get into trouble with these when I don't have a smooth transition and try to power through the shot.

(Side note: I hit the Rocketbladez tour 7i with KBS Tour stiff shafts at golf town today for 10 swings. Excellent feeling iron and the shaft had a COMPLETELY different feel to it, quick transition and swing hard and the shaft just held up to it! Something to consider after testing is complete and I get another proper fitting to prepare for the season, and something to be said about getting properly fit for your clubs before buying).

The 6i got the short treatment today, I was only able to hit about 6 balls before I ran out. The wind really didn't seem to effect the ball as much as I would have thought.

In all, with some focus and good tempo I was really impressed with the results. I'm going to get another lesson this week and will have some more info then.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

Nice report TUT, glad you had a good session with them today.

I recently had total shoulder replacement and was cleared to putt, chip and pitch. My handicap was 19 prior to the surgery I picked up golf a little over three years ago at the age of 50. This last week I felt the metal shafts in my shoulders and elbows much more than I ever had. A recommendation was made to go to graphite due to the surgery. There's no doubt I will have a slower swing speed for the next couple of years.

I very much liked the last year's RocketBallz but am very happy I made the switch to the new RocketBladez. In the past two days of swinging the Gap to the 7 iron, I feel more control over my previous set. The ball appears to come off the face with a little softer feel, perhaps the graphite shafts have a lot to do with this. I do feel more control and have less bad shots. On the bad shots, the new irons seem to offer up a little more forgiveness. The overall look of the irons and the thinner top line also add to a better feel for me. I seem to have gained a little more distance on the higher irons but that might be to an improved swing with the shoulder repair.

It will be a couple off months to a full swing so I look forward to see how much better the new set will be for me. So far, I am delighted with the change.

I hit a 6 iron into a 2 club wind yesterday with the Tour bladez, and was just shocked at how far it went, despite being high in the air.

That's great, Texas, glad to hear you are progressing so you can get back to the game, and that you have found a set of clubs that are helping you too.

Played this morning with temps in the 20s and winds around 15 mph gusting to 20. 10 of 13 fairways with the Amp Cell. Made life easy for me on my approach shots. Only problem was the greens were harder than the cart paths! It really limited the long/mid irons I hit today, but I hit a ton of PWs, 9s, 8s and 7s. All clubs performed extremely well.

As cold as it was, I didn't hit one 'stinger'. It really speaks to the forgiveness of the irons, even in the scoring irons without the slot.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I had an opportunity to spend some time with the Rocketbladez Tour earlier today on a LM. I was really interested and went into this with a high amount of anticipation. I caught the first few hits flush and wasn't turned on or off to to the iron. It wasn't doing anything special and different then my current Adams. Very comparable distances and spin numbers. I went ahead and tested the 'slot' technology. I intentionally began mishitting the ball and was immediately turned off to the club. The club just sounds and feels weird, almost like it's broken. The feedback and sound is just not something I personally look for in an iron. It was pretty high pitched and just off. It doesn't sound crisp or clean. I really do believe the slot has an impact on this, regardless of what TM claims.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok tried the tours and non-tour Rocketbladez irons on a flightscope yesterday .
First the Tours, I liked the look at address smaller profile but a confident
playable look.
They were very easy to hit for a players cb`s mid flight , very straight, distance was good 7 iron was about 155-160 carry which good for me. Feel was ok but different than other irons I have played . Not bad but not the best muted
sound hard to describe.
I would like to demo these a bit more. These have potential .

I thought I would give the non tours another chance as the first impressions certainly were not favorable. With a little more knowledge about the specs going in this time.
Now knowing the shafts are a touch too long for me and lies are too upright for my swing , so I choked up and held the iron more upright than normal.
I really flushed some 7 irons carrying 170 and rolled out passed 180 which is outstanding for me .I may only need only need a 6 iron in this set with my
4 & 5 hybrids. The ball flight was high don`t know if I have ever hit a 7 iron like that before.
Sound ,feel thing which I hated before . I will rate ok ,different.. something I could get use to , although the the miss hits high and towards the heel still seem loud and odd. There were certainly less miss hits because of the swing adjustments I made to fit the irons specs.
Again I would like to demo these up against my amps. Maybe ...just maybe for now.
gb

I had mine bent 2° flat, Lefty. I think I'd be struggling pretty bad with the stock lie angles. I've seen more 170+ 7 irons in the last month with these irons than I probably saw all last year with a 6 iron in my hand. I'm very happy with the distances I see from these things.

Hold that thought! Hahahaha

I can address that one when I get home tonight and have some time for sure for ya.

Cool. I'm not really lookin to switch irons but I did want to know what the buzz was about this tmag offering. Lookin forward to hearing what the learned Jman has to say on this one!

Cool. I'm not really lookin to switch irons but I did want to know what the buzz was about this tmag offering. Lookin forward to hearing what the learned Jman has to say on this one!

HA! I don't know about the "learned" stuff! I actually JUST got home and the Internet is out so I'm on the phone. I'll do quick and dirty though.

4-5 - 1 club longer
6 - 1/2 longer
7- 1/4 longer
8-P - Same

Also, slightly higher launch (do have CT's in my i20's though). Forgiveness to me is actually equal on all but thinned shots honestly.

I have no faults in the Bladez, at all. For me it's just a confidence thing. I think both sets are simply REALLY good.

I took another chance to hit at Dicks today and compared the Tour vs regular. I hit both of them well, the tours, with KBS Tour stiff, were a 5 yard draw every time. The regular, with stock stiff, were right of center line (regular shaft being weak I think caused this as it was EVERY hit). Turns out I only saw a 2 yard difference between the two, advantage regular. But I will say I noticed something. The rep kept mentioning total distances. I thought, wow, these are REALLY long! But, then I realized, it was giving me a FIFTEEN yard rollout. Well, I don't believe that a 7 iron, coming down at a 53 degree angle, will have a 15 yard rollout! Anyway, be careful with the monitors. In real life, I want these babies to stick the landing. On this thread, I'm seeing a lot of distances with "rollout" listed. Anyway. Gonna have to try them outside somewhere... I liked them!

Does anyone know exactly how much you can adjust the lie on the non tours? I ordered mine 2* flat from the manufacturer. Had the lies tested again and had to bend them some more. My 8iron ended up at 59* from a stock 63.5*. I tested them again after the adjustment and still had marks near the heel. I guess I just have a midget body with gorilla arms. I made the mistake of watching my local golfsmith (not the store) bend the irons and got so scared they were going to snap.

Did anyone see Mark Crossfields review of the R11 next to the RBladez? Lots of comments about cranking the lofts and lengths etc, and he even used the R11 6 iron against the RBladez 7 iron. When all is said and done though he still likes the RBladez at the very least :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXa9S7XeeqA

Did anyone see Mark Crossfields review of the R11 next to the RBladez? Lots of comments about cranking the lofts and lengths etc, and he even used the R11 6 iron against the RBladez 7 iron. When all is said and done though he still likes the RBladez at the very least :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXa9S7XeeqA

He's done this with a few other irons, but he only talks about distance. Nothing about launch angle, performance on mishits, or other useful information. He seems to only share the information necessary to make his predetermined point.

That being said, I enjoy his videos on swing fixes.

He's done this with a few other irons, but he only talks about distance. Nothing about launch angle, performance on mishits, or other useful information. He seems to only share the information necessary to make his predetermined point.

That being said, I enjoy his videos on swing fixes.

This one is worse. He actually addresses loft during the 3 or 4 shots with each club and conclusively demonstrates that the Bladez 7i has a launch angle 2* higher than the R11 6i. Then he ignores that data and concludes they are really the same club because they go about the same distance, have about the same length and about the same loft. Then lot's of talk about the Bladez being jacked up. Ugh.

This one is worse. He actually addresses loft during the 3 or 4 shots with each club and conclusively demonstrates that the Bladez 7i has a launch angle 2* higher than the R11 6i. Then he ignores that data and concludes they are really the same club because they go about the same distance, have about the same length and about the same loft. Then lot's of talk about the Bladez being jacked up. Ugh.

Crazy. I'd expect better from a 'professional'

I took another chance to hit at Dicks today and compared the Tour vs regular. I hit both of them well, the tours, with KBS Tour stiff, were a 5 yard draw every time. The regular, with stock stiff, were right of center line (regular shaft being weak I think caused this as it was EVERY hit). Turns out I only saw a 2 yard difference between the two, advantage regular. But I will say I noticed something. The rep kept mentioning total distances. I thought, wow, these are REALLY long! But, then I realized, it was giving me a FIFTEEN yard rollout. Well, I don't believe that a 7 iron, coming down at a 53 degree angle, will have a 15 yard rollout! Anyway, be careful with the monitors. In real life, I want these babies to stick the landing. On this thread, I'm seeing a lot of distances with "rollout" listed. Anyway. Gonna have to try them outside somewhere... I liked them!

About the only iron I have seen a significant amount of rollout from is my 3i...and occasionally my 4i...with that said though, it only happens when I play it back in my stance intentionally trying to hit a runner. Across my entire bag of irons I get a high ball flight that gets to the apex and then drops straight down, resulting in no or very little roll. It's something you have to get used to because you may find yourself coming up just short of where you want to be only because they stop dead vs. rolling out 5 yards. Kinda ironic to say that a distance iron leaves you "short", but it speaks to the consistency I've obtained with them that you start to know exactly what the carry is (and remove any potential rollout yardage) and play the appropriate club.

Welcome back Stevie, haven't heard from you in a while.

FWIW, I generally agree what Stevie is saying about rollout and trajectory,that's pretty much what I see, too.

Back