Low trajectory shafts

D.farrer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking to lower my ball flight. Which shaft will help me do this? Current shaft is Dynamic Gold S3.

What clubs are you looking to lower flight on?

I assume you mean S300? Or are you referring to the DG SL Irons with the S3 Taper Tip?
If you are referring to the former, do you have any numbers by chance? They are pretty low launching already.

My irons. I hit the ball very high and the wind in the spring kills me.

Yes the S300.

Yes the S300.

Can you expand on the rest? They are quite low launching shafts already and going lower might be robbing you of actual carry distance. Do you have any ball flight numbers?

Will you be attending the THP Event in Texas in a few weeks? Or the one in Lake Charles? I can take a look then.

This might sound weird, but define your definition of high? S300's as mentioned are a pretty low launching shaft. They can be hit too high, but you'd really need to be looking at something with an apex of over 110 feet or so for that.

This might sound weird, but define your definition of high? S300's as mentioned are a pretty low launching shaft. They can be hit too high, but you'd really need to be looking at something with an apex of over 110 feet or so for that.

As somebody who has had a measured apex with a 6iron at 148', I understand high ball flights.

High is subjective. But if you want lower flights, without learning how to hit lower shots, go X100s or KBS C-Tapers.

Anyone have any experience with X100's in Taylormade CB's? Not the newest CB but the 2011's?

Tapping Away

There is a lot of factors that can be effecting your ball flight, are you sure it's your shafts? If you find it is the shafts that are giving you an unwanted ball flight id have to suggest the c-tapers. They have lowered mine a great deal with some other added benefits but everyone is different

Can you expand on the rest? They are quite low launching shafts already and going lower might be robbing you of actual carry distance. Do you have any ball flight numbers?

Will you be attending the THP Event in Texas in a few weeks? Or the one in Lake Charles? I can take a look then.

I would love to make it to the THP event in Dallas but I'm in the middle of a building project and can't make it. Here in East Texas I don't know of anyone who has a launch monitor or any other high tech equipment to evaluate the apex.

As somebody who has had a measured apex with a 6iron at 148', I understand high ball flights.

High is subjective. But if you want lower flights, without learning how to hit lower shots, go X100s or KBS C-Tapers.

148 feet is awesome. Probably not in the wind, but that'd be so much fun to watch and enjoy a cup of coffee before it lands.

What makes judging height difficult also has to do with what's making it happen. Is it the shaft? Or is it a swing flaw?

The X-100s helped me a lot. Even gave me a little more distance.

If you are unsure, buy 1 X-100 shaft and install it in your 5 iron or something, so you can try it.

Also, you might find a Taylormade 5 or 6 iron like yours on e-bay with an X 100 shaft in it.

Cheap way to try out a club/shaft combo.

Jackal

Wouldn't hard stepping lower flight as well. Might be an option if X100 shafts are little to stout for your swing

If you are hitting the ball too high with an S300 you may want to make sure you are releasing the club a little later in your downswing, or have a steeper angle of attack with a lower finish (swinging low and left).

I would love to make it to the THP event in Dallas but I'm in the middle of a building project and can't make it. Here in East Texas I don't know of anyone who has a launch monitor or any other high tech equipment to evaluate the apex.
Golf Connection in Tyler has a launch monitor. They fit me into a driver several years back & did a great job. They're on the NW corner of the loop in a strip mall. I think either the Nissan or Mitsubishi dealership is next to them.

Golf Connection in Tyler has a launch monitor. They fit me into a driver several years back & did a great job. They're on the NW corner of the loop in a strip mall. I think either the Nissan or Mitsubishi dealership is next to them.

and a Rudy's just up the road for some great BBQ :banana:

I used to hit the ball so high even with x100's

It was really for me a swing flaw before anything else. Go find a local pro and see if he can give you some input to see if it's your swing. You really shouldn't need x100's unless your SS for a Driver is 118mph+

But then again... it's not that simple is it haha.

Yes you are correct. Your transition has a lot to do with it too. Sorry for that.

I hit my X-100 shafts really high. But, I also get 205+ yards out of a 5 iron in summertime weather.

Jackal

I really like my swing as it is free and easy but with a lot of power on the down swing as I hit down and thru the ball which does send the ball up in the air. Ready for the weather to get better so I can play more.

It could be a swing flaw, like adding loft at impact or numerous other things. I would suggest having a pro look at your swing to see if that is the issue.

I am looking to lower my ball flight. Which shaft will help me do this? Current shaft is Dynamic Gold S3.

A stiffer shaft will lower your ball flight.
I would recommend trying the x100 shaft which is about the same weight, but will lower your flight.
If you see a distance loss (not likely unless you have a late release) then try the DG SL x100.

BB

Back