Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I do think these are more upright than most irons, which could lead to the heel shots. I wonder if JB could confirm this.

I have not seen too many heel shots from my testing. Might just be me though.

I hear ya, and think these might be the number for you.

Only issue I have seen/heard from them, is that they dont agree with playing in the wind.

Yeah, ballooning like crazy.

I think the wind we saw the last couple of days would lead to most irons getting killed in the wind. I agree with War in that with the standard graphite shafts, they are offering a high ball flight. However it was windy again today, and they did not have many issues.

Could be fixed by a shaft change though, you agree?

I would certainly think so. I think these with the C Kua iron shafts could be the easiest irons to hit ever. But the PX5.5 would certainly be more penetrating I would believe.

I have not seen too many heel shots from my testing. Might just be me though.

I think the wind we saw the last couple of days would lead to most irons getting killed in the wind. I agree with War in that with the standard graphite shafts, they are offering a high ball flight. However it was windy again today, and they did not have many issues.

Do you typically play standard lie irons? My divots were pretty even with these, and I am usually fit into an upright iron.

I hit a 186 yard, and a 110 yard 8 iron yesterday, both struck well. That wind was a little mean.

I do think these are more upright than most irons, which could lead to the heel shots. I wonder if JB could confirm this.

I hear ya, and think these might be the number for you.

Only issue I have seen/heard from them, is that they dont agree with playing in the wind.

I am right around standard in most irons. Some offerings are a bit out there and I get them adjusted.

Do you typically play standard lie irons? My divots were pretty even with these, and I am usually fit into an upright iron.

I hit a 186 yard, and a 110 yard 8 iron yesterday, both struck well. That wind was a little mean.

Need a hand here.I have stock graphite mashie irons that I hit a lot of pushes with and original Hibores that I don't. Prior to these sets I played pings 1* up +1".The specs on the Altitudes appear to be longer and more upright than the mashies and I'm hoping that will allow me to play stock. I'm a senior 9 cap 6'2" w/ 36/37" sleeve

Ok, got a crazy day ahead but wanted to come in here with some thoughts.

First off, before my trip, I went to Golf Galaxy and hit the new Cleveland line, but didnt bother with the Altitudes cause they didnt appeal to me at all.
BIG MISTAKE

JB had them in the bag all weekend, and we were lucky enough to have a decent amount of range time available both days. I wanted to hate these things with a passion, but it just didnt happen. High and straight, one after another, over and over and over.

Id quit, go hit something else, come back later and try them again....same thing....over and over and over.

Grabbed the 8I, hit a few on the launch monitor, 147-151 carry, my typical 8I distance...BUT DEAD STRAIGHT....over and over and over.

Went to the course and rose along with JB as he destroyed these things for an entire round. I think he had 2 "bad" shots with them all day long, and 1 ended up on the green afterall. Didnt matter which iron he was hitting, didnt matter the lie or the wind, these things were money for him.

Onto Saturday, more range time, figured id try a few more of the irons again. I hit 6I-9I and maybe out of 40 or so shots, I had 1 or 2 bad ones, and these things are forgiving enough to where its not crippling you on off center shots. The only club I struggled with was the 5I, but Im hot and cold with my existing one as is. I stopped and started hitting these off and on, and the results were pretty much similar to the previous days.

Some truly amazing clubs, I urge people to not be naive like myself and at least TRY these things out. You are doing yourself a serious injustice by not doing so. High and straight, with a distinct sound at impact, you could just tell by the sound where that ball was going to end up without even having to look. A truly eye opening set of iron options out on the market right now.

Awesome feedback Mike! Thanks for sharing man. For you, would you say these were less penal on "off center" strikes as compared to the MT and/or TT?

I hit several shots yesterday that were tracking greatly but came up 10-15 yards short because I missed them a hair out on the toe. Again, I repeat, these are just calling my name.

Awesome feedback Mike! Thanks for sharing man. For you, would you say these were less penal on "off center" strikes as compared to the MT and/or TT?

I hit several shots yesterday that were tracking greatly but came up 10-15 yards short because I missed them a hair out on the toe. Again, I repeat, these are just calling my name.

Absolutely

I played more with the TT so I can speak to those. Off center shots with those for me where a combo of distance loss and usually ending up off to the right somewhat on misses.

Altitudes the distance loss seemed less and the deviation from the target line wasnt as bad as the TT, just overall a more forgiving club. Your 10-15 yard example is probably spot on with what I was seeing, which is something I can live with cause I know my J40's for example its more like 20-25 yards lost when Im out on the toe

Those that have hit these clubs, would you say they are built for slower swing speeds? And is it the larger sole and cog that creates that consistent straight ball? How are they at flighted shots?

Those that have hit these clubs, would you say they are built for slower swing speeds? And is it the larger sole and cog that creates that consistent straight ball? How are they at flighted shots?

I would say the stock graphite shafts are not the stoutest of shafts, but I would see no problem with playing these with a different shaft. I don't have a slower SS and I was hitting them great as well. I have not tried to hit any low shots with these, but I would not imagine working the ball low is the strong point of these irons.

Freddie, I have had some good and some bag with these. ON the range, the one thing I noticed was that if I didnt give it a full 100% swing, the results were not that great. With that said, my 100% swing with these wasnt exactly working either.

I dont believe so, but I believe that much of the swing speed debate with irons is shaft related.

I'm strictly going off assumption here but these clubs sound like they work very well and produce favorable ball flights. But they also seem like a very on dimensional club. I have not hit them but based on what I have read in this thread they produce a high straight ball. I just wonder how they would preform if a shot had to be played under or around some trouble.

I'm strictly going off assumption here but these clubs sound like they work very well and produce favorable ball flights. But they also seem like a very on dimensional club. I have not hit them but based on what I have read in this thread they produce a high straight ball. I just wonder how they would preform if a shot had to be played under or around some trouble.

I saw JB hit a few lower shots when need be, didnt seem like he was hindered much at all.

I didnt mess with that on the range, I was too busy getting irritated I was hitting them so well

Can you hit a lower shot with most hybrids? If so, you should be able to hit one with these if the shaft is right for you.

The reduced offset versus the previous models make these very easy to work, right, left, up and down.

Pretty cool to see these surprising so many people. Must be some seriously good irons.

Pretty cool to see these surprising so many people. Must be some seriously good irons.

This is what keeps popping to my mind when hearing feedback too.

Other than WE of course. Haha

They really are, I think I hit 4-5 sets of irons this past weekend, and they performed the best by far

This is what keeps popping to my mind when hearing feedback too.

Other than WE of course. Haha

he should have tried them on the course once, the range was just NASTY to him

I'm just miserable at hitting on the range. Get me on the course, and I am fine. But on the range, there is a sever lack of focus in me and I just swing without even trying or pay attention.

I'm just miserable at hitting on the range. Get me on the course, and I am fine. But on the range, there is a sever lack of focus in me and I just swing without even trying or pay attention.

and I was the total opposite, I really should have tried some of these out on the course Friday, especially since they were already in the cart...stupid me

he should have tried them on the course once, the range was just NASTY to him

I've seen him give them a go on the course... it looked like he was on the range.

I dont believe so, but I believe that much of the swing speed debate with irons is shaft related.

Just to agree with you JB. I tested these with the standard graphite shaft and I hit them well, but, a little higher than I liked. So did the shaft fitting to arrive at the VS Proto's. They are just as easy to hit, with a more penetrating ball flight. The specs for any that are interested. Pretty low torque shaft.

Aldila VS Proto 85 Graphite Iron Shafts

The Aldila VS Proto 85 graphite iron shafts feature Aldila's exclusive Next-Generation Micro Laminate Technology. Carbon Nano-Tubes, combined with Aldila's proprietary A65 Performance Resin System, utilizing Advanced Ultra High Modulus Graphite Fibers, all synthesized into Micro Laminate Technology. Unparalleled performance and feel. The straightest, longest shaft Aldila has ever offered - with feel other shafts can't well, touch. The Aldila VS Proto 85 graphite iron shafts are best suited for mid to low handicap golfers looking to increase distance with feel.

Shaft Weight Torque Butt Diameter Tip Diameter Flex Point Length Color Swing Speed Recommendations
VS Proto 80 Senior 86 2.9° 0.620" 0.370" Mid 40.5"-36.5" Blue 85mph to 95mph
VS Proto 80 Regular 86 2.5° 0.625" 0.370" Mid 40.5"-36.5" Blue 85mph to 95mph
VS Proto 80 Stiff 86 2.5° 0.625" 0.370" Mid 40.5"-36.5" Blue 95mph to 105mph
VS Proto 80 X-Stiff 86 1.4° 0.630" 0.370" Mid 40.5"-36.5" Blue 105mph to 115mph

Sorry, can't get this to format correctly.

Back