DIY PlaneFinder Hank Haney

gbrinson

Reaction score
Handicap
I put together a Hank Haney style PlaneFinder with about $22 worth of parts from Home Depot.

38855_0_PlaneFinder_Parts2.jpg

38855_0_PlaneFinder2.jpg

Pretty cool stuff. How did you get the correct angles figured out and set with the materials?

Nothing is glued so it's 100% adjustable based on the club you're using and its lie angle. It took some trial and error to get the pipe lengths right, but I think it's good where I've got it. I'll post the dimensions and assembly instructions as well.

Nice work. Thanks for posting.

Nothing is glued so it's 100% adjustable based on the club you're using and its lie angle. It took some trial and error to get the pipe lengths right, but I think it's good where I've got it. I'll post the dimensions and assembly instructions as well.

Nice work there.

That's very good. Nice work.

Pretty cool, I like it!

That is pretty cool. Well done.

Thats awesome. Cant wait for the assembly instructions.

Very cool! Hope it works well

Parts List:
- 3 18" multi-flex risers, the blue tubes (from the lawn irrigation aisle at home depot)
- 5 Rainbird elbow pieces (part number SWGF050 irrigation aisle) These have threads in them that receive the end of the multi-flex riser.
- 4 1/2" white PVC elbows
- 3 1/2" white PVC T's (unthreaded on all ends).
- 1 10' x 1/2" white PVC pipe

Cut the pipe into the following parts (I used a power, compound miter saw)
- 6 18" pieces
- 3 8" pieces
- 2 3" pieces

Using the elbows and T's assemble as per the photo. The Blue pieces and connectors need a little more instruction.

The blue risers should be cut exactly in half. I used a large kitchen knife and sawed through these easily. Before you do cut them you need to wrap electrical tape around the black ends to ensure they remain on the blue pipe. There's a clear tube inside the blue one that holds the ends on. Once you cut it, the clear tubes can be poked out but the black ends will fall off. So make several wraps around each end starting on the black part and onto the blue before you cut. You only need 5 of these, so one half of one of the risers will be thrown out.

Now that they're taped you can cut them and remove the clear tube from inside. Now screw the risers into the Rainbird black elbows. 2 of these can go into the longer uprights on the PlaneFinder and they'll swivel easily as is. The other three are loose and need exactly 3 wraps of electrical tape so they don't swivel and point backwards in the shorter pipes. So wrap the 3 elbows and insert into the short uprights. They should go in easily but should continue to point towards the taller uprights. That's it. If you have questions let me know.

Excellent work gb. Looks to be a great duplicate.

Great job. Hope it helps grove in the swing for the upcoming season.

Nice job, very well done!

That's makes a ton of sense and awfully useful with multiple clubs!

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

This looks great!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Would like to see some video with it.

some tips for this...

some tips for this...

I put together a Hank Haney style PlaneFinder with about $22 worth of parts from Home Depot.

38855_0_PlaneFinder_Parts2.jpg

38855_0_PlaneFinder2.jpg

I built one of these,following these instruction with only 1 slight problem...the 1/2 elbow would not go into the 1/2" PVC..the PVC= .488 ID and the elbow was .540 OD.. I used 1/2" couplers on top of the uprights to compensate..you may want to trim 3/8" of the elbow due to length issues with the couplers. also, you may want to glue all but the two elbows at the inner corners, for that way all uprights will move as one and still be adjustable...just make sure that all uprights are aligned before glueing(lay them flat on the floor). Storing the item may also be a consideration before glueing. what I found was that un-glued it was very un-steady,and the uprights would move and were difficult to stay aligned...this was an excellent idea to save a bunch of $$ and still get the training it affords. applause !!!

Back