Why no indepeendant testing of drivers?

zooropa

Reaction score
Handicap
You would think in this day and age someone would stump up the cash and have a test done with iron byron so we could see actual numbers. Just a thought.

You would think in this day and age someone would stump up the cash and have a test done with iron byron so we could see actual numbers. Just a thought.

Because Iron Byron offers little to help actual golfers. Instead by having reviews done by a myriad of golfers that display all of the correct info, to educate, enhance and prepare the consumer for what to expect we believe helps a whole lot more.

Because Iron Byron offers little to help actual golfers. Instead by having reviews done by a myriad of golfers that display all of the correct info, to educate, enhance and prepare the consumer for what to expect we believe helps a whole lot more.

I like jmans reviews a lot but I have no idea how he swings the club and how consistent he is at doing that. At least with someone like Mark Crossfield you see him swing and he puts launch info up. If you have a machine testing drivers at different speeds, angle of attacks etc etc with centre contact I don't see how that cannot be beneficial in terms of performance.

I'd like to see those numbers. See which driver has higher ball speeds, which has more forgiveness, etc. It'd definitely be cool.

I'd like to see those numbers. See which driver has higher ball speeds, which has more forgiveness, etc. It'd definitely be cool.

Excellent point on forgiveness, for me personally that would be the best!

I like jmans reviews a lot but I have no idea how he swings the club and how consistent he is at doing that. At least with someone like Mark Crossfield you see him swing and he puts launch info up. If you have a machine testing drivers at different speeds, angle of attacks etc etc with centre contact I don't see how that cannot be beneficial in terms of performance.

Because the human element adds a very important factor.
In my opinion the goal for any review is not to find out if a reviewer likes the club. Or if the club is "good". Almost every piece of equipment put out now is "good". To me its about making sure the information is real, factual and full of enough knowledge to better arm a golfer to make an informed decision.

And do so with as little bias as possible. Hence the reason our club reviews are done by staff writers and forum members and not GolferGal and myself.

To me, seeing someone swing would do nothing for a review outside of the small chance that one had the exact same tempo and path as the reviewer had.

Again, strictly my opinion and the reason THP exists as it does now.

Just to be clear, it's not about having a crack at anyone. Perhaps jman and others could do a video review to see how they are received? At worst it would be exposure to the site?

Just to be clear, it's not about having a crack at anyone. Perhaps jman and others could do a video review to see how they are received? At worst it would be exposure to the site?

While we appreciate the idea, right now we have certain things in mind for our reviews and they are done a certain way for that reason.
However the online forum/community is open to anybody reviewing anything they would like in any style they would like.

Personally I like the approach of have people we know reviewing various product lines. The view point from a fellow consumer of golf product (and others) has more value on a machine that doesn't have swing flaws, and can't put the sensory perception into a review. Sounds, looks, feeling are important for me as a consumer.

Fwiw

I trust jman a lot more than Mark Crossfield.

This was something that struck me after experiencing a demo earlier in the year. Those things are designed to hit the ball on the screws, which I guess does a nice job of an apples to apples comparison, but how many golfers in the world is that helping? 0.01%?

Is forgiveness telling in the center of the club face?

This was something that struck me after experiencing a demo earlier in the year. Those things are designed to hit the ball on the screws, which I guess does a nice job of an apples to apples comparison, but how many golfers in the world is that helping? 0.01%?

What???? It's a robot. It could be set to hit all clubs toward the toe and show results. I have no idea why everyone seems to be so defensive about this. It's numbers to crunch. Consistent numbers. I see no big deal with it.

Can you not tweek it to deliver an off centre hit?

Do they address the ball off the toe and heel to test them?

What???? It's a robot. It could be set to hit all clubs toward the toe and show results. I have no idea why everyone seems to be so defensive about this. It's numbers to crunch. Consistent numbers. I see no big deal with it.

I dont think anybody is being defensive. Just merely pointing out my opinion on why THP does its reviews the way they do and offering the ability for anybody that would like to do this, to do so in the forum. Something open to anybody's thoughts.

It would be interesting. But I believe too many golfers would rely on it, rather than actually demoing clubs and see what really works for them.

Do they address the ball off the toe and heel to test them?

Just watched a video today on Ping's robotic club tester, they could move the tee whichever direction they wanted to produce a heel/toe/high/low shot off the face. Pretty slick setup.

My opinion, I like the way THP does the reviews. The amount of money it would probably take to compile these numbers, not to mention the time, it would be a pretty big task.

Fwiw

I trust jman a lot more than Mark Crossfield.

A point you make ad nauseum without any real explanation as to why. I have seen a stack of his videos and he doesn't love every mizuno club nor does he bash every tm one (the main reason around here why people give it to him) I think he is honest, amusing and tells it like he sees it. Happy to stand corrected if someone wants to post some actual evidence rather than just an opinion.

Defensive? I just don't see the point. I'd rather read reviews from people swinging over a robot.

I'd put about as much stock in a robot test as I would a golfdigest hotlist.

I think it would be cool to see but would probably effect my decision on what to buy very little compared to real life reviews that talk about sound and feel and everything else a robot just cant tell you. The reviews on here was the original reason for me joining this site before knowing any of the other amazing things.

The original thought behind the OP was not for anyone here (or the site) to pay for it to happen. Just wondering why it doesn't happen. I have no idea what sort of dollars it would take to do this.

Some people like taking others experience (which is perfectly fine btw) I like numbers and i like seeing things as opposed to reading an opinion.

Why no indepeendant testing of drivers?

Defensive? I just don't see the point. I'd rather read reviews from people swinging over a robot.

I'd put about as much stock in a robot test as I would a golfdigest hotlist.

That's great. I'd still read every review possible too. However, if every driver was hit the exact same way and one showed it was 10 yards further and 10 yards straighter on toe hits it'd get my attention. It could very well end up being a club I would've had no intention of trying no matter how many reviews I read on it.

It'd be even more info to digest and that's never a bad thing.

A point you make ad nauseum without any real explanation as to why. I have seen a stack of his videos and he doesn't love every mizuno club nor does he bash every tm one (the main reason around here why people give it to him) I think he is honest, amusing and tells it like he sees it. Happy to stand corrected if someone wants to post some actual evidence rather than just an opinion.

Because Jman's, and Hawk's, reviews are better.

I'm sure THP would love it if someone donated an Iron Byron for testing. You up for it? :eyepoke:

Back