Clubs GI versus SGI

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Let me start by saying that I've never tried to figure out my handicap so I might be +- the 36 that I have listed.

I'm looking at getting new clubs for the 2009 season. I was dead set on getting the Big Bertha's but then I noticed they were Super Game Improvements. I'll admit I could probably use the SGI for this year. They are retailing about $600 and can be found on ebay for $450 and up. I got to thinking would these really benefit me in the long run? How long can I really play on SGI's?

I have also looked at the x-18's and x-20's. Those are just Game Improvements. I came across the x-22's the other day at Dick's and I really liked those. For about $700 retail I can get the x-22's (a little less for the 18's and 20's).

So my question is would I be better off get the GI's or the SGI's? The clubs that I have now are roughly 12 years old and need replacing. I would prefer to not replace my clubs in a year or two.

Great question. I discussed this very thing with famed club maker John H at Nickent. He says that people will benefit most from GI irons or SGI irons as long as they look and feel right. But that just about every golfer benefits from the forgiveness. In most cases the difference between the two is a little offset or a thicker head. So if you are okay with that, then the benefit will outweigh any downfalls. (there arent any except comfort and appearance).

That being said, I went through this very thing when I bought clubs and I just told myself not to worry about it.

John H. also informed me that buying any clubs whether they are $100 or $1000 is worthless unless they are fit for you. So make sure that you hit many clubs and get the angles adjusted for your swing.

Thanks for that info. I was planning on getting fit for what ever clubs I was going to buy. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth saving that $100 or what ever if I would "out grow" the SGI's in a couple months or a year. The wife is already having a fit about me buying new clubs now. I can't imagine what it would be like if I wanted to buy new clubs the year after too. :beat-up: I'd have to find somewhere else to live.

i would go with GI's. from what i can gather, you are worried about getting SGI's and then getting good enough that you would benefit from GI's in a short period of time after the purchase. callaways are a great choice for GI's cuz they have been making them for such a long time and really know exactly what the high handicapper needs. i play mizuno muscle backs, but 2 sets before these, i had x-14 steelheads. they were great irons and really forgiving, yet i didn't feel like i was ever in a situation that i would want a more forgiving or bigger head. just my 2 cents. i would get the x-20's or 22's cuz i like to have new things, but get whichever model you want

I assure you Bogey, you will not grow out of anything. Once you learn to play clubs that you enjoy hitting, it does not matter what they are. If they work.

I assure you Bogey, you will not grow out of anything. Once you learn to play clubs that you enjoy hitting, it does not matter what they are. If they work.

That's good to hear. This just makes the decision harder to make. I like things about both sets of clubs.

I like the the look of the mix between the hybrids and irons on the 3-4 irons with the Big Bertha's (if you choose those over the traditional) and I like the looks of the clubs. Something about the red and black on the chrome/silver.

Then I really like the looks of the x-20's (I think it might be the blue on the chrome/silver) and I'm still undecided if I like the looks of the x-22's.

This must be what women go through in picking out a purse or shoes. :blob:

Take each club and go into setup with them. Go with which ones feel best there. Because that is going to be your key.

I have a set of SGIs and they are awesome. Most of my mishits still manage to go straight, plus the massive size of the club adds confidence. I havent gone back and hit my old clubs, which were just GIs, to see what the difference really was, maybe I should.

That's good to hear. This just makes the decision harder to make. I like things about both sets of clubs.

I like the the look of the mix between the hybrids and irons on the 3-4 irons with the Big Bertha's (if you choose those over the traditional) and I like the looks of the clubs. Something about the red and black on the chrome/silver.

Then I really like the looks of the x-20's (I think it might be the blue on the chrome/silver) and I'm still undecided if I like the looks of the x-22's.

This must be what women go through in picking out a purse or shoes. :blob:

go to your local club/shop and get fitted. once fitted, they should have some demo sets that match your specs. take them out to the course and give them an honest test. it's really hard to get what you want out of your head, even if they'll be detrimental to your game. it's really just important to know your specs and to go from there.

Bogey -

I was in your exact same position about a year ago, when I made the decision to really focus, and practice to be a better player.

I went and hit every single club I could lay hands on, and wound up with the Pings I have now (see sig) I went to demo days and got fitted for Callaway, Taylor, and Ping. The Ping's are what impressed me most.

I spent a lot of time with the Ping guy, and had the same concerns as you, "Will I outgrow these clubs in a season or two?" His answer was most assuredly not, and I chose the G10's over the i10's, based purely on feel, and how well I hit them comparatively.

In the course of this season, since making that commitment, and getting new clubs, I've dropped my handicap over 10 points, and now I'm at a plateau that I'm struggling to get past (my goal is to break 90 this year, time's running out!)

Gummi-

That's exactly how I ended up with PINGs. I didn't pay attention to what anyone else played. I just went to as many demo days as I could (I think it was 5-6) and hit every club I could. PING wasn't even on my radar until after I hit them. Each demo day I narrowed down the options. In the end, it was an easy choice and, so far, I still haven't found any irons I like better even though I still go to all the demo days.

Gummi-

That's exactly how I ended up with PINGs. I didn't pay attention to what anyone else played. I just went to as many demo days as I could (I think it was 5-6) and hit every club I could. PING wasn't even on my radar until after I hit them. Each demo day I narrowed down the options. In the end, it was an easy choice ....

Harry, the i5s are more a player's club than GI or SGI?

Harry, the i5s are more a player's club than GI or SGI?

Brad-

I would put the i5s in between the i10s and the G10s. I think they are a GI leaning toward a players club. IMO the i10s are a players club despite the cavity and perimeter weighting. In fact, the new s57s are more forgiving than the i10s according to the PING rep. That was my opinion as well after hitting them (and before the rep told me).

[hijack]

The new S57's are soooooooooo sexay. I promised myself that when I get to a 15 handicap, I'll get some. :D

[/hijack]

[hijack]

The new S57's are soooooooooo sexay. I promised myself that when I get to a 15 handicap, I'll get some. :D

[/hijack]

I must agree, the S57's are a thing of beauty! :blob:

And the 57's are fairly forgiving! I actually think moreso in a way than the i10's.

To the OP, any Ping is going to hold it's value a little better than many other top brands.

And the 57's are fairly forgiving! I actually think moreso in a way than the i10's.

To the OP, any Ping is going to hold it's value a little better than many other top brands.

I wouldn't worry about anything holding it's value. Clubs are definitely built for the long run and under normal playing conditions the grooves will remain strong for some time.

Everyone here has touched on some really interesting points. This is definitely a difficult question to deal with. Mainly because you have to honestly assess your game and determine where you honestly feel you are headed. I have made both decisions in the past... pursuing a set beyond my skill set to push myself yet also purchasing a set of game improvement irons that limited my performance. They were different times for me and it wasn't the easiest thing to do.

Get out there and stripe a number of buckets with a number of clubs and see what works for you best.

I couldn't agree with you more DDBowoin, I kind of fell in to the other side of the spectrum were I got a more advanced set of irons, and then realized that my game was not at that level yet and then went with a GI iron. I currently have the Nike VR Full Cavity and am much more confident with them, so like you stated assessing the level of your game is critical.

I have a set of SGIs and they are awesome. Most of my mi****s still manage to go straight, plus the massive size of the club adds confidence.

Haha, it censored out mis hits.

I know a few people who are single-digit handicappers and are playing SGI irons. If you normally shoot double bogey or worse, Id say you would benefit from the forgivness of SGIs.
The main knock against them is that they are typically very ugly clubs, especially in the irons because they have such a thick topline.
I used to have a set of Knight Virage irons that were SGI and the heads were huge on those things.

What I've done is promised myself that if I get to the point where I feel I'm limited by my clubs, I have justified getting a new set. The thing to remember is that golf is expensive to participate in. Even if you're just playing at the local Muni, by the time you've had enough rounds in where you feel you need new irons, the price of the clubs is going to be very small compared to the amount of money you've spent on range balls, greens fees, cart rentals, etc.

My question for you is would you rather have the potential risk of a small loss in a year (or two, or three) on buying new irons, or risk lessening your enjoyment of the game because you ended up with clubs that you can't hit consistently?

I know a few people who are single-digit handicappers and are playing SGI irons. If you normally shoot double bogey or worse, Id say you would benefit from the forgivness of SGIs.
The main knock against them is that they are typically very ugly clubs, especially in the irons because they have such a thick topline.
I used to have a set of Knight Virage irons that were SGI and the heads were huge on those things.

That is purely preference. Many people do not care about the look of thick toplines. My opinion and the opinion of just about every club maker out there is that 95% of the golfers out there should be playing SGI

What would you guys consider Ping ISIs? GI irons?

IMHO they are a "players" cavity back.

That is purely preference. Many people do not care about the look of thick toplines.
I agree. I was merely pointing out the main gripe that most people have with SGI irons. I personally dont mind a thick topline. I'll take ugly clubs and pretty shots over pretty clubs and ugly shots any day.
My opinion and the opinion of just about every club maker out there is that 95% of the golfers out there should be playing SGI
I agree. Golf is hard enough already, no sense in making it even harder by using clubs that arent very forgiving.
I personally love the look of blades and would love a set of Mizzie MP-62s, but with my swing I know that MX-100s (or some other set of SGI irons) would be the way to go.

Back