Shaping shots - how much does the grip matter?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I visited my pro recently and I received a slap on the hand was given a lot of tips about my grip. We got around to shaping the ball by using the grip only.

My question for you is that how much do use your grip to shape shots, or do you start with your stance and build a whole new setup for a fade / draw?

I find my self in trouble when I change to many components, with just minor changes to the grip seemed to bring quite nice curvy flight patterns for me.

Of course super power fades going 90 degrees is a different thing, and yes most of us just try to get it straight and up in the air, but this is about those who shape :)

I find that I can change the shape shot the easiest by manipulating the grip. I simply change my alignment to adjust and tweak the grip stronger or weaker and swing. I get the shot shape I am looking for although it may turn more or less than anticipated.

I try to shape shots as rarely as possible. But if I do, my grip stays the same. I open or close my stance, or I change my take away and swing. But never my grip.

After I do all of those things and take my swing, I drop a ball and hit a provisional because I probably won't find the first one.

If I'm shaping a shot, 90% of the time the only thing I change is my grip. I'll align my body to the right or left based on the shot shape. After that it is my normal swing. I let the strong or weak grip control the club face vs path stuff.

My grip stays neutral no matter what shot I'm hitting, for me something has to be constant and the grip is it.

I also keep a neutral grip and you alignemt to shape shots

I rely on hand position and swing path for shaping shots. I actually don't change my stance all that much. This is something I have been working on really hard with my teacher this winter and it is already paying off. Being able to pull Driver on dog legs when everone else has to hit Hybrid/3 wood is great.

When I'm trying to cut the ball instead of fade I simply weaken my grip and stand closer to the ball. So I would say yes to shaping with grip.

I only try to shape the ball around or through trees after errant tee shots. I have more success (which means I pulled it off ONCE) by altering my stance and swing path than I do my grip...but it's not something I work on and would prefer to just hit the ball straight.

I don't always shape my shots, but when I do... they never have the shape I want. Stay in the fairways, my friends.

I try to shape shots as rarely as possible. But if I do, my grip stays the same. I open or close my stance, or I change my take away and swing. But never my grip.

After I do all of those things and take my swing, I drop a ball and hit a provisional because I probably won't find the first one.
Those are my thoughts to Joe, I really just play my normal shot shape, which is a draw, but if I try and fade it I try not to mess with my grip. The one thing I do focus on during the swing is my back hand. It's more of a palm up or palm down kind of thing!

Personally I change two things if I am trying to draw or fade the ball. The first and foremost is the grip, I generally play a very strong grip and if I want to fade the ball I slightly weaken it. The other thing I change is the placement of the ball, for a draw the ball is a ball back and for a fade the ball is in the middle of my stance. I try and make the same swing every time and just adjust those two variables. Unless of course I am trying to play a big ridiculous hook/slice, then swing path changes and things get wild.

I am discovering lately that grip seems to be my most effective and least potentially disastrous way to shape shots. I've previously tried to alter my swing path to get these results, but I've found that that completely screws up my rhythm and I have more success when I can just groove essentially the same swing. Had a lot of success simply taking a strong grip for a draw or a neutral to weak grip for a fade (depending on how much), aiming my feet line where I want to start the shot, and swinging along that line.

i find it interesting how many people will change their grip on the fly. that would mess with my mind way too much. i would prefer to use setup and path to affect flight. the only grip manipulation i can think of is to lighten the grip pressure a bit more for a draw, and tighten it just a bit for a fade. but where my hands go on the club is such a mental thing for me that any subtle changes are often pretty disastrous!

I am discovering lately that grip seems to be my most effective and least potentially disastrous way to shape shots. I've previously tried to alter my swing path to get these results, but I've found that that completely screws up my rhythm and I have more success when I can just groove essentially the same swing. Had a lot of success simply taking a strong grip for a draw or a neutral to weak grip for a fade (depending on how much), aiming my feet line where I want to start the shot, and swinging along that line.
I have the most success doing exactly the same thing. As soon as I start messing with swing path all bets are off and that ball could go anywhere - if I even hit it.
I think if your path through the zone is pretty neutral this method works but if you naturally come from way inside or outside this gets a little crazy.

I have the most success doing exactly the same thing. As soon as I start messing with swing path all bets are off and that ball could go anywhere - if I even hit it.
I think if your path through the zone is pretty neutral this method works but if you naturally come from way inside or outside this gets a little crazy.

Agreed. I've been striving to come through pretty straight lately and perhaps my success with this method is indicative of some success in coming straight through...maybe.

Will keep trying this method and see if I see improved results.

Over the course of time I have shaped with stance/alignment/swingpath and also with grip. These days, my "regular" grip is strong and my predominant shot shape is draw. If I'm trying to manage a right to left shot, I pretty much just tweak alignment and swingpath. If I am trying to fade the ball, I'll adjust the grip to open the face somewhat as with my current normal grip a stance/alignment/swingpath method would be too extreme.

For me the grip is the same, but flexion of the left wrist for a draw, extension for fade, and flat wrist at top of swing for a straight shot. The wrist position manipulates my club to the desired path. I also slightly modify my stance and clubface at address.

Grip is 90% of the the ball shaping I change. 10% being ball placement.

One caveat is I don't shape many shots other than drives. I do hit stingers from under trees and what not enough, but not near as often as a draw or fade off the tee box.

I never change my grip. Only thing I change to shape iron shots is stance position and swing path.

Changing grip is asking for trouble IMO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I never change my grip. Only thing I change to shape iron shots is stance position and swing path.

Changing grip is asking for trouble IMO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See, for me, changing swing path is asking for trouble. I have much less trouble consistently changing grip, as I feel equally comfortable with a neutral or strong grip.

Of course, YMMV. Everyone's different.

I think it probably depends on the person to some extent. For me changing my grip will lead to trouble, I'll start changing it without noticing it throughout the round. I'm able to more effectively change my path and then get back to my normal path much easier. But for others I'm sure it's the complete opposite.

When I do it, its with other means and not grip. But I have changed grip at the range for this (and other reasons) and I just don't like a weak grip at all (I hate the feeling of it) so when my rare shaped shot is required I opt for the change in swing path and stance process.

Back