Learning to hit a driver/wood correctly.

BigBerthaxHot

Reaction score
Handicap
A little background. In the1980's I shot in the mid to high 80's with MacGregor forged blades, and persimmon woods. I went in the military did not play for almost 30 years. Hence, all the new technology, I picked up a used set of Callaway Big Bertha Woods and Irons. Feels like I am swinging a broom. Fast forward, I am hitting the irons ok, but I am having absolute fits with the driver and 3wood. I have not even tried the 5 wood yet. So my question, which one of the three would be the easiest to learn to hit. My current set up is in my signature x/hot woods and Razr irons 4-LW. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am shooting around 110ish now. Just for kicks, I got the old persimmon woods out, could not hit them either.

A little background. In the1980's I shot in the mid to high 80's with MacGregor forged blades, and persimmon woods. I went in the military did not play for almost 30 years. Hence, all the new technology, I picked up a used set of Callaway Big Bertha Woods and Irons. Feels like I am swinging a broom. Fast forward, I am hitting the irons ok, but I am having absolute fits with the driver and 3wood. I have not even tried the 5 wood yet. So my question, which one of the three would be the easiest to learn to hit. My current set up is in my signature x/hot woods and Razr irons 4-LW. Any help would be greatly appreciated I am shooting around 110ish now. Just for kicks, I got the old persimmon woods out, could not hit them either.

I would work on the 5 wood. It should be the easiest to hit of the three being a shorter shaft. I really think the best way is to get some help from a real live qualified person. I would try and locate a PGA teaching professional or a GolfTec center in your area. It is pretty hard via a forum to give swing advice when we are not there see everything in person.

This is the best advice I can offer.

Solid advice from Hoosier. Also, don't be afraid to put the ball on a tee. What is your common miss?

The way I see it, a small change is needed. you are used to swinging persimmon woods but now metal woods and graphite shafts.
try to use more forearm muscles (both arms) and less hands and wrists(I call this quiet hands), specially during transition to down swing.
Since you were mid 80s player before it shouldn't be too difficult to change this part and get back hitting driver and fairway woods fast. :)
Hope this helps

The 5-wood would probably be the easiest to hit, but I agree with the advice - get a lesson. A pro can probably sort out what's wrong very quickly and get you hitting all three clubs much better.

Thanks for the advice guys. Hoosier, my normal miss is, very embarrassingly is I miss the ball completely. Yes with a 460cc head, I miss the ball completely. I get frustrated, get out an iron and as Fehriety say, I compress the#%^* out off the ball. I could possibly knock 20 to 25 strokes a round if. I could properly hit my driver OR 3 wood. I have called and have an appointment to set up lessons with a pro here locally. There is a Golftec center 3 hours from me. That training camp idea, really intrigues me. I don't have to be PGA material, but I would like not embarrass my self when I go with business associates. I look really good until I have to swing. LOL.

Tequila ?

Tequila ?

I noticed in your signature you are using the new Cleveland woods, how do you like them. I really struggled between the Callaways I have and the Cleveland's.

Missing the ball entirely...hmmm, not sure about that one. Probably just best to see the pro during your lessons than try to guess here.

re woods, I actually don't have the Cleveland's, I'm currently driver-less. Howeve, I've owned four drivers in the last year and a half, am currently borrowing a Cleveland XL from Hawk and hit nearly everything a lot in a quest for next gamer. I am learning that all OEMs produce good gear, it is a matter of finding what's right or each of us. FWIW, I have tended to like the G25, AMP Cell, Stage 2 and Cleveland Classic. But I'm waiting for the 3Deep 3W to come out...thinking about going driverless and using a deep/strong 3W instead.

I stand corrected, it was nice divot, that had the Cleveland's in their signature. I currently have 5 very nice drivers and cannot hit any of them lol. I have a Golftec appt real soon, to fix that. Anyway thanks for the reply

I stand corrected, it was nice divot, that had the Cleveland's in their signature. I currently have 5 very nice drivers and cannot hit any of them lol. I have a Golftec appt real soon, to fix that. Anyway thanks for the reply
I use Cleveland Launcher FL (3 wood) and I am not changing this one. then again, I am not changing my classic driver neither.
About Fairway wood.. I haven't tried new classic XL fairway wood yet so that I don't know. But the way Launcher FL feels, sounds and perform, I don't need to :) It is very easy to hit quite forgiving as well. I used to carry Callaway steelhead plus fairway woods (3 and 5) bought them in 1998 kept them in my bag till 2009. I think this launcher FL fairway wood will stay even longer

As already said, a lesson would be the best place to start - I don't carry a driver either but I can hit my 3W as far as a number of my mate's hit their driver, and a lot more consistent so I am not too bothered but an impromptu lesson last year really helped me so I am probably looking for a driver this year to see if I can get a few extra yards

Thanks everyone for your input. I have scheduled a lesson with Golftec and will go from there. After doing much research, I feel that s where I should start. I did swap the Vokeys for some Cleveland's which I hit much better, in the wedge department. My goal at this point is consistent low 90's for as little as I get to play. Again, I really appreciate all of the feed back. I am so glad I stumbled upon this place, great bunch of people.

I scanned the thread, but didn't see the obvious...tee it higher. . I had a guy at my club whi went from early metal wood to all new equipment, but never made the tee higher to compensate for the bigger head. Quick fix did the trick.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Back