Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

mab13 what are the difference in launch characteristics among the three shafts mentioned?
just curious as these stock shafts seem to launch a little high for me.

mab13 what are the difference in launch characteristics among the three shafts mentioned?
just curious as these stock shafts seem to launch a little high for me.

I've not yet managed to hit the Motore F1 shafted 3 wood due to snow - who'd have thought it was nearly April?!

Regarding the Whiteboard shafted 7 wood, trajectory is certainly lower than the Miyazaki but it is still relatively high. The main difference is the flat, penetrating, powerful ballflight... the ball essentially gets up quickly and then almost flattens out without any ballooning. The Miyazaki, on the other hand, could often go straight up and straight down robbing me of distance and hurting my gaps a little. I'm really enjoying the current head / shaft combination.

Hoping to get to be range this afternoon to test the 3 wood and will report back findings.

The Motore F1 shafted 3 wood was definitely less successful than the Whiteboard shafted 7 wood.

The weather and winds were terrible so not the fairest of assessments, but the the flight was too low and the consistency wasn't there. I'll give it another whirl when the weather is better but I don't think this combination will last.

I'm considering options such as S+ Blueboard, RIP Phenom or similar... will keep you posted. Alternatively, I've not dismissed flogging the F3 and buying an F5.

We'll see...

Gosh I love this club. It's so easy to hit. I just bought another one. Soon to come F5.

Two rounds of golf and a ton of shots with the F5 & F7. The shaft pairing with the PX 6.0 seems to work great on these two. Feel like I'm getting a bit more out of the F5 off the tee. Had a few that were in the 240-250 range yesterday. Struggled off the tee a bit playing a long course today and these clubs got a good workout. F7 is back in the bag with it's meaner big brother. Could be a second honeymoon, but the results I've seen the last two days can not be ignored.

Bought one on a clearance sale, a 3w with stiff shaft. I figured I'd love it based on my experiences with my 3 Mashie hybrids (2, 3, and 4). After about 3 range sessions, I'm done. It's getting traded off. When I put a good swing on it, it's not too much shorter than my current 3 wood (2009 Cleveland Launcher), but it feels very different than I expect a wood to feel - the balance is odd. Also, I swear I can see the shaft flex in my takeaway to a significant extent, and that's messing with my head.

No harm, no foul. I couldn't find another locally, so I bought one to see. It'll likely get traded towards a Callaway or Ping 3w or 4w to give that a shot.

Bought one on a clearance sale, a 3w with stiff shaft. I figured I'd love it based on my experiences with my 3 Mashie hybrids (2, 3, and 4). After about 3 range sessions, I'm done. It's getting traded off. When I put a good swing on it, it's not too much shorter than my current 3 wood (2009 Cleveland Launcher), but it feels very different than I expect a wood to feel - the balance is odd. Also, I swear I can see the shaft flex in my takeaway to a significant extent, and that's messing with my head.

No harm, no foul. I couldn't find another locally, so I bought one to see. It'll likely get traded towards a Callaway or Ping 3w or 4w to give that a shot.

same experience here. Love the hybrid mashie, hate the fairway mashie.

Does anyone know if the mashie fairway wood clubhead is low spin, high spin or about average spin?

Only one round so far, but I love the F5. Hits a mid-high flight, piercing ball flight that flew almost perfectly straight for me. Solid 200-230 yards so far for me in cool weather. I imagine it will be a go to club for me this season on many a Par 4 or going in two on a Par 5. TF3 I haven't hit enough to form an opinion. I imagine I'll use it from the tee more often and the F5 from the fairway.

I've been really pleased with the RIP Alpha 60s in my AMP driver, so I briefly tried it at the range in my AMP 4 wood... and it felt great.

If it continues to work, I'll likely pick up a RIP Alpha 60s for my Mashie F7 as an experiment... just because that consistency through the set, for some strange reason, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Will keep you posted, but will likely be a couple of weeks yet.

FWIW, the D+ Whiteboard is still working out great.

I have the F3 and use it from the tee box some and was curious if any of you that have tried both the F3 and the TF3 if the TF3 is that much longer from the tee?

same experience here. Love the hybrid mashie, hate the fairway mashie.

Navy and 92: I'm in my second go around with Mashies (both hybrids and fairways). In both experiences, I've been much more impressed with the hybrids than the fairways. The F3 and I have never really clicked.

The one exception was the F7. I immediately took a liking to that club. Of course it is effectively a M+ hybrid when one looks at the head size. I think I'd rather just play the hybrid in this line.

majBC: I'm as curious as you about the TF3. That might be a nice back up tee club that could pull double duty in a pinch from the deck. Let me know if you get a chance to try one out. I think that's what the #2 slot in my bag may turn into with my current setup.

Navy and 92: I'm in my second go around with Mashies (both hybrids and fairways). In both experiences, I've been much more impressed with the hybrids than the fairways. The F3 and I have never really clicked.

The one exception was the F7. I immediately took a liking to that club. Of course it is effectively a M+ hybrid when one looks at the head size. I think I'd rather just play the hybrid in this line.

majBC: I'm as curious as you about the TF3. That might be a nice back up tee club that could pull double duty in a pinch from the deck. Let me know if you get a chance to try one out. I think that's what the #2 slot in my bag may turn into with my current setup.

Ill trade you my m1 for your f3 :act-up:

J.

TF3 for me is an excellent alternative to hitting driver. I have been consistently getting about 240 yards with decent contact; mishits still travel about 200 to 220 yards normally and for the few that I have hit on the screws, I've seen 250+ and even one go about 270 with some help from a tail wind :bananadance:. It is definitely more difficult to hit well than the F5 IMO but I used it exclusively today as a driver substitute playing nine holes and I enjoyed it and didn't lose much. Both the TF3 and F5 are in my bag to stay.

Johnny: Thanks for the offer. If I were to get a M1, then I'd want to go with the plus model to match my other hybrids. While I personally can't tell much difference in performance, I find the plus models more visually appealing. If I were to try the M1+, I'd want to get one to test out against the F3.

rickterp: Thanks for the information. We seemingly have similar taste in clubs and handicaps. Some things in your bag (K15 driver and especially the Trilogy) are clubs that I have played and loved. Your bag is one that I like as well and I am not too proud to admit that the Noodle is my ball of choice.

It looks like your swing speed is considerably higher than mine based on your carry distances. My game at this point is attempting to be "short and straight." Note that I say attempting, which applies to the straight. Short is what I do to have a chance to get it straight.

Can you elevate the TF3 from the turf? If you cannot, then I probably could not as well.

TF3 for me is an excellent alternative to hitting driver. I have been consistently getting about 240 yards with decent contact; mishits still travel about 200 to 220 yards normally and for the few that I have hit on the screws, I've seen 250+ and even one go about 270 with some help from a tail wind :bananadance:. It is definitely more difficult to hit well than the F5 IMO but I used it exclusively today as a driver substitute playing nine holes and I enjoyed it and didn't lose much. Both the TF3 and F5 are in my bag to stay.

Good distance with the TF3, but how does that compare with your driver to give a baseline of how much yardage you loose with the TF3 vs your driver?
Have you been able to hit the F3 from the tee to compare how much distance difference there is between the TF3 and the F3?
How much distance do you give up from the tee with the F5 vs TF3?
It would seem that if someone had a pretty consistent driver then maybe they could get by with the F5 as it seems to be the winner of the Mashie fairways!

Last edited:
The mashie fairways are being related to Tebow status for my next round. I'm putting the R9 4 wood back in play.

Just too many bad misses lately and I'm not sure why. I think I'm just catching everything thin and the ball just doesn't go anywhere.

The mashie fairways are being related to Tebow status for my next round. I'm putting the R9 4 wood back in play.

Just too many bad misses lately and I'm not sure why. I think I'm just catching everything thin and the ball just doesn't go anywhere.

I'm with you. I was hitting it real good out of rough but in fairway wasn't so good. Couldnt seem to get the head down. Goin back to my original burner

I'm with you. I was hitting it real good out of rough but in fairway wasn't so good. Couldnt seem to get the head down. Goin back to my original burner

TF3 still bombs it from the tee, but the balance isn't there for me right now.

Johnny: Thanks for the offer. If I were to get a M1, then I'd want to go with the plus model to match my other hybrids. While I personally can't tell much difference in performance, I find the plus models more visually appealing. If I were to try the M1+, I'd want to get one to test out against the F3.

rickterp: Thanks for the information. We seemingly have similar taste in clubs and handicaps. Some things in your bag (K15 driver and especially the Trilogy) are clubs that I have played and loved. Your bag is one that I like as well and I am not too proud to admit that the Noodle is my ball of choice.

It looks like your swing speed is considerably higher than mine based on your carry distances. My game at this point is attempting to be "short and straight." Note that I say attempting, which applies to the straight. Short is what I do to have a chance to get it straight.

Can you elevate the TF3 from the turf? If you cannot, then I probably could not as well.

I can elevate the TF3 off the deck but it isn't something I'd go after greens with unless I had a good lie. Off the deck it's a mid-low flight for me. My miss is generally a bit fat so this club is forgiving in that aspect.

Good distance with the TF3, but how does that compare with your driver to give a baseline of how much yardage you loos with the TF3 vs your driver?
Have you been able to hit the F3 from the tee to compare how much distance difference there is between the TF3 and the F3?
How much distance do you give up from the tee with the F5 vs TF3?
It would seem that if someone had a pretty consistent driver then maybe they could get by with the F5 as it seems to be the winner of the Mashie fairways!

Good questions. I primarily have been playing the TF3 from the tee and the F5 from the fairway. There are a few holes I play where a poor tee shot will leave ground to make up and that's where I end up taking the TF3 off the deck. My driver is consistently about 245-250 when struck well; 220-230 with mishits and if hit on the screws, I'm not really sure since I've only managed that about five or six times and have seen anything from 265 to 290 #internetgolfer. So to answer your question on a average tee shot I only lose about 10 yards TF3 versus driver. I have the TF3 in S flex and my driver is an R flex so I'm starting to think I may be losing some yardage on the driver.

F5 versus TF3, F5 is a 190-215 off the deck, 200-220 off the tee for me. TF3 is 200-230 off the deck, 225-250 off the tee. F5 is easier to hit for me and I agree with your premise that a reliable driver of the ball could go Driver then F5. I just like the flexibility the TF3 gives me.

I haven't been able to compare the F3 versus TF3. Hope that answers your questions!

I spent some more time recently at the range with the F3. Last night I was at a grass range with some thin lies (which also let me hit out of divots). Off the tee, the F3 works well for me. The ball flight is pretty straight and it is fairly easy to hit. I could probably squeeze a few more yards out of the TF3 from the tee.

Off the deck, I'm hit or miss (but more miss) with the F3. I'm not sure what it is, but it just doesn't produce the results that some other fairways (or the M+ hybrids) have. I'm sure it is mental, but I'm struggling. I never had this problem with my last fairway wood.

I need to decide what to do with this slot in the bag. If it is going to be tee only, then the F3 is fine (and the TF3 might be a little better). If I really want to pull double duty, then I need to look at something else.

The question is whether my scoring would actually be better if I relegated a 3W to tee only and just hit 2H from the deck. That might be the smarter play long term.

I spent some more time recently at the range with the F3. Last night I was at a grass range with some thin lies (which also let me hit out of divots). Off the tee, the F3 works well for me. The ball flight is pretty straight and it is fairly easy to hit. I could probably squeeze a few more yards out of the TF3 from the tee.

Off the deck, I'm hit or miss (but more miss) with the F3. I'm not sure what it is, but it just doesn't produce the results that some other fairways (or the M+ hybrids) have. I'm sure it is mental, but I'm struggling. I never had this problem with my last fairway wood.

I need to decide what to do with this slot in the bag. If it is going to be tee only, then the F3 is fine (and the TF3 might be a little better). If I really want to pull double duty, then I need to look at something else.

The question is whether my scoring would actually be better if I relegated a 3W to tee only and just hit 2H from the deck. That might be the smarter play long term.

I'll be interested to hear whether you get used to it or not. I just got a killer deal on a new F3 yesterday, and I picked it up because in hitting my buddy's F3, it was like magic off the deck. I hit 5 or 6 shots consecutively, right down the middle and long, when with my current 3W (Cleveland HiBore) at least 2 of those would have been fat city. Hoping this holds true when it comes in, but it felt like I couldn't hit it fat. And since I've been having trouble hitting my 3W fat lately, figured it was worth a shot.

Is your miss thin? Because I can definitely see this club not helping you out on thin shots.

I'll be interested to hear whether you get used to it or not. I just got a killer deal on a new F3 yesterday, and I picked it up because in hitting my buddy's F3, it was like magic off the deck. I hit 5 or 6 shots consecutively, right down the middle and long, when with my current 3W (Cleveland HiBore) at least 2 of those would have been fat city. Hoping this holds true when it comes in, but it felt like I couldn't hit it fat. And since I've been having trouble hitting my 3W fat lately, figured it was worth a shot.

Is your miss thin? Because I can definitely see this club not helping you out on thin shots.

I do miss thin a lot, but I'm not sure I would point to the sole design. The reason is because I routinely play another Ginty styled fairway (Tour Edge Trilogy) and never, ever hit that thing thin. I can be on some extremely thin grass (including rock hard mats) and get a clean hit out of it.

I think it actually has more to do with the head's CG and the shaft's kick profile. For some reason, those don't seem to match up to my swing well. Something about the whole setup feels awkward to me and I just can't put my finger on it. If the ball is teed up 1/2 an inch helping me get under it, then everything is just fine.

I do miss thin a lot, but I'm not sure I would point to the sole design. The reason is because I routinely play another Ginty styled fairway (Tour Edge Trilogy) and never, ever hit that thing thin. I can be on some extremely thin grass (including rock hard mats) and get a clean hit out of it.

I think it actually has more to do with the head's CG and the shaft's kick profile. For some reason, those don't seem to match up to my swing well. Something about the whole setup feels awkward to me and I just can't put my finger on it. If the ball is teed up 1/2 an inch helping me get under it, then everything is just fine.

Yeah, the kick profile can definitely cause issues if you're not used to it. The C.Kua 59 has a pretty soft tip, so you don't have to turn your hands over quite as aggressively as with most FW/hybo shafts. When I first got the M2/M3 I hit a couple of really nasty pulls, cause my much heavier shaft in my older HiBore hybrid demands that aggressive hand turn in order to not push it. Could have something to do with that maybe?

Back