recent iron fitting questions

Cooker

Reaction score
Handicap
First of all, I've been reading the postings here for some time but this is my first thread. I purchased a new set of irons today and have some questions now that I'm home and thinking about it. Went to golf galaxy and hit several different clubs before settling on the Callaway X-Hot. Using their simulator these felt the best to me. Not quite as long as some others but the mishits were less punitive and the dispersion was tighter. Grooving them right on the yellow line. Hitting a 7 iron my average numbers were 192 distance, 171 carry, 20* launch and 114 ball speed. After deciding on the Xhots we went over and got checked for my lie and swung the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. Those numbers were 86 head speed, tempo 4,toe 3, kick 3 and release 5. DG s300, Project X 5.5, KBS Stiff were shafts in order. Wasn't offered to swing the irons with any of those shafts and was told it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but I was a 2* upright on lie angle. I ordered the clubs with the lie adjustment and the stock TT Speed Step 85 shaft. my questions 1) since I was grooving the yellow line with the stock club, will the lie adjustment affect my accuracy? 2) For those of you with the knowledge to analyze my numbers, how do they look and should I be concerned about the shaft choice? I realize that this is all after the fact and I didn't ask about GG return policy, but I'm hoping thatI didn't jump the gun. Thanks for any input.

Having just had a fitting myself, I would have said it was important to hit each of the shafts - I found myself with the DG S300 and Project X 5.5 being the best for me, but I did not get on with the KBS so I would try and hit each of them if youu can

I have a question, did you hit anything that was 2* up? Also what other clubs did you hit that were longer than the xhots?
The 171 carry seems fine but the 114 ball speed is off. I think you did well for yourself and welcome to THP.

I honestly don't take much away from the sims at GG sometimes they are close other times no where near accurate.

It may take a little adjusting to get used to the new sticks( a couple rounds). Honestly they should have let you hit the set up that you were fit for and ordered. Just because a machine spits out a recommendation doesn't mean it will be best for you #'s wise or you'll like the way they feel.

I would go back in and explain that you just ordered your set up and that you'd like to hit that setup as you weren't afforded the opportunity that day.

When did you order them?

What kind of spin numbers were you getting? I would of liked to tried each shaft if it was me. Just went through a fitting and we changed shafts more times than I can count. Some shafts I had issues getting good spin and LA and just didn't feel right. Others that I would of thought I wouldn't of liked I loved once I hit them. Never thought I'd like Nippons but after hitting them I feel in love with them.

I have a question, did you hit anything that was 2* up? Also what other clubs did you hit that were longer than the xhots?
The 171 carry seems fine but the 114 ball speed is off. I think you did well for yourself and welcome to THP.

No, I didn't that is what seemed odd to me. I hit the clubs off the shelf. When I chose a club they brought out the lie board to check me then right to the desk to order the clubs. I hit the Rocketbladze a bit further than the XHots, but I wasn't as accurate with them. Why do you say the ball speed is off?

I honestly don't take much away from the sims at GG sometimes they are close other times no where near accurate.

It may take a little adjusting to get used to the new sticks( a couple rounds). Honestly they should have let you hit the set up that you were fit for and ordered. Just because a machine spits out a recommendation doesn't mean it will be best for you #'s wise or you'll like the way they feel.

I would go back in and explain that you just ordered your set up and that you'd like to hit that setup as you weren't afforded the opportunity that day.

When did you order them?

I asked if the sim numbers were juiced since I gained about 20 yards over my current 7 iron. I hit all the clubs on the same sim, so even if the yardarge isn't accurate, I still based my decision comparing them side by side. I ordered them on Saturday afternoon.

I asked if the sim numbers were juiced since I gained about 20 yards over my current 7 iron. I hit all the clubs on the same sim, so even if the yardarge isn't accurate, I still based my decision comparing them side by side. I ordered them on Saturday afternoon.

I don't know which Golf Galaxy you purchased from in our great state of Cheeseland. But the store in Appleton will allow returns on anything purchased within 30 days and not damaged. But the custom part could be the kicker. Best bet, talk to the store about return policy.

That was a really bad fitting.

What kind of spin numbers were you getting? I would of liked to tried each shaft if it was me. Just went through a fitting and we changed shafts more times than I can count. Some shafts I had issues getting good spin and LA and just didn't feel right. Others that I would of thought I wouldn't of liked I loved once I hit them. Never thought I'd like Nippons but after hitting them I feel in love with them.

They didn't put me on a launch monitor. The only number I got was from the sim that said I averaged 20* launch with the 7 iron. They did the MSO, but didn't offer to let me hit the club with the 2* up or compare shafts. Just asked if I wanted to change or keep the stock shaft. BTW-- I was clearly 2* upright, looked like the same ball mark 3 times in a row.

Thanks all for your help.

Cooker it doesn't sound like they gave you a fitting at all and sounds more like they gave you the illusion of a fitting.

If it was me I would contact the store manager in person preferably or phone if you can't do it in person, about what you experienced and would ask to cancel the order and explain that you would like a proper fitting next time before you order.

No, I didn't that is what seemed odd to me. I hit the clubs off the shelf. When I chose a club they brought out the lie board to check me then right to the desk to order the clubs. I hit the Rocketbladze a bit further than the XHots, but I wasn't as accurate with them. Why do you say the ball speed is off?

I think he means that with your ballspeed and clubhead speed it doesnt seem like it should produce that result.

Back