RULES ? - 4-Ball, Partner Events and 14 Club Limit

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
This past weekend, I played in a 4-ball match play. My partner and I vs. 2 other players. On one hole, my partner was in between clubs. He asked if I had a 52*. I said I had a 51*. So, he pulls my wedge. But, then I say I'm not sure partners can share clubs unless, between them, they don't have 14 total clubs. Typically, 2 partners have 28 clubs (3rd grade math, brotha. Nailed it!).

Because we were unsure, he ended up using his own wedge.

What say you?

He can't use it because that would be 15 playable clubs.

We had guys at the MC last year concede holes when they realized they accidentally played a club not theirs.

4-4. Maximum Of Fourteen Clubs

a. Selection and Addition of Clubs

The player must not start a stipulated round with more than fourteen clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than fourteen clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed fourteen.
The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course or by assembling components carried by or for the player during the stipulated round.
b. Partners May Share Clubs

Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the partners so sharing does not exceed fourteen.

He can't use it because that would be 15 playable clubs.

We had guys at the MC last year concede holes when they realized they accidentally played a club not theirs.

Agree.

Back