Nitrogen Powered Driver

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm...

PowerBilt's new nitrogen-infused driver

You might think PowerBilt's full of it. You’d be right.

Billed as the next big thing in golf, PowerBilt unveiled its newest driver yesterday – the Air Force One, a club pressurized with nitrogen, which the company claims will help maximize distance and optimize a ball's spin rate.

By filling the head with 150 psi of nitrogen, the clubface is supported without any mechanical bracing, allowing PowerBilt to use a thinner face, which they claim maximizes the club's trampoline effect. (The thinner the clubface, the higher the effect.)

The driver creates up to 25 psi of trampoline effect at impact. Other drivers have 0 psi. I tested the nitrogen-filled drivers and hybrids, and the ball seemed to jump off the face more than my current driver. The clubs are very light and come in two distinct models – Geometric (above) and the traditionally shaped Player Series.

PowerBilt is not promoting the driver, which the company claims is leak-proof, as a gimmick but as a club that really gives players maximum distance. However, a nitrogen-pressurized driver coming from a company that has lost much of its market over the years will certainly be seen as not much more than an attention-getter. After testing the club, it seemed to give me a bit more distance, especially when I found the sweet spot. So I'd say it’s at least worth taking for a spin.

The driver will be available in December for $399

Refillable?

And it's USGA legal?

And it's USGA legal?

A more detailed story on this club can be found HERE.

The part that I found most interesting was this: "The gas creates a better trampoline effect when teeing off, mimicking the force of a 110 MPH swing speed, which is optimal for maximum distance. You’d think you might be at risk for some more out-of-control shots, but the club actually features a larger-than-normal sweet spot and a thinner face. Oh, and it’s USGA-legal. Unbelievable."

Interesting find Harry.

Smallville,
To me that is nothing more than a press release with a blogger angry about the price.

Only a weenie would use a driver with an inert gas! Think of the fun you could have if you really explored the periodic table.

That would be the white row, at the right. Let's see--Krypton for Smallville, Helium for me (I like a light club), who wants Neon in his/her clubhead? Or Boron? Chlorine, anyone?

Just got off the phone with my contact at Slugger, the parent company, and they said they would be happy to send a few over. It will take them a few weeks but we should get them soon. This way we can put them to the test and see if any of this "hocus pocus" works.

I wonder if there is a fitting to recharge the nitro every few months? If so what if you go over 150 pounds, is it hotter off the face?

Your Screen name being Gas Man, I figured you would have all the answers...lol

I can tell you all about regular gas, diesel and race gas. But the only nitrogen ive worked with was in a dirtbike shock and on my old truck. I know Nitrogen doesnt really break down, unless there is a leak, so it could stay good forever. If there is a valve to fill it, it might be fun to mess with. I would have to track down my old nitrogen tank and regulator.

So these will be arriving on Monday and THP will be the 1st company reviewing them prior to launch. We are looking forward to it.

So these will be arriving on Monday and THP will be the 1st company reviewing them prior to launch. We are looking forward to it.

Sweet. I say if THP approves of these, they will be a hit. :alien2: If not then someone will have a lot of gas filled drivers to sell.

Any chance of passing these out to members after your demo?

Sweet. I say if THP approves of these, they will be a hit. :alien2: If not then someone will have a lot of gas filled drivers to sell.

Any chance of passing these out to members after your demo?

We will probably have one to pass out to members. They are sending two and one of them has to go back.

These just seem silly to me.

Which would fit some people on this board, heck maybe even me sometimes :banana:

But really, I see where they are coming from, but I don't think it really does anything, but we'll just have to wait for the review I guess.

But really a club filled with nitrogen? :beat-up:

I think I'll just stick with the regular NON-NITROGEN driver... ;)

Reactions: JB
Just an update. We still have not received these and apparently according to the company, they were sent back to them. They are resending out today so we should have them next week.

Another update. Still no driver. It has been delayed again. They will begin shipping in Feb. and we are first on the list.

isnt this an older technology? i vaguely remember a driver several years ago with a gas filled chamber too. sounds to me like its just another gimmick club. and $400 for a Powerbilt club, which mostly makes junk these days, seems a little odd too. i can think of a lot of drivers i would rather spend $400 on than a Powerbilt driver

It is not geared towards the younger or better golfer. It is geared in many ways to the senior golfer with a slower swing speed and cannot compress the ball. I have seen quite a few independent (and I mean really independent) lab tests that support this club.

I was thinking about this club the other day. Don't gases expand and compress depending on the temps? I'm not sure about Nitrogen but wouldn't there be a possiblity of an "explosion" if the gas was expanded and the driver was used. If they do expand I'm not sure at what temps. I'm sure all this was taken into consideration when the clubs were being produced. Is there also the chance of the Nitrogen evaporating over time?

I was thinking about this club the other day. Don't gases expand and compress depending on the temps? I'm not sure about Nitrogen but wouldn't there be a possiblity of an "explosion" if the gas was expanded and the driver was used. If they do expand I'm not sure at what temps. I'm sure all this was taken into consideration when the clubs were being produced. Is there also the chance of the Nitrogen evaporating over time?

im not sure, but i know some places around here fill car tires with nitrogen

Bogey,
We have discussed this various times with the R&D people there and none of that is a concern at all. Just like a nitrogen tire hitting a pot hole.

Bogey,
We have discussed this various times with the R&D people there and none of that is a concern at all. Just like a nitrogen tire hitting a pot hole.

Like I said I'm sure that was all covered in the R&D. No point in making a product that is going to injure or kill someone. Those were just a couple of things that I was wondering about.

That would be a different take on the exploding golf ball huh?

outside of the stored gas in chamber that has already been mentioned, wonder what the life expectancy of club is being that it has thin face?

Back