Machine Putters Article

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
For the 3rd day of putter week we have an article on Machine Putters. This article combines the history of the company, an interview with the CEO, and adds some great info as well as pictures. Check it out when you get a chance and let us know your thoughts as well.

The Hackers Paradise An Education

• Admin
Bump for the pm readers.

I never guessed that, as a writer, I would call an article on putters insightful, but that word was one of the first that came to mind on this article- awesome read.

• Admin
Thanks ATJ. Glad you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed writing it and learning about the company.

Interesting article.

But I have a problem with something (big surprise, right?).

In your opening statements you wrote: "In doing the research for this very article, we got a great quote from a famous tour player. “The putter is the soul of the golf bag. It has to look right, feel right, and execute perfectly.”"

I absolutely agree with the first two comments; that a putter has to look right and feel right. But this "famous tour player" is suggesting that the putter itself has something to do with how a ball is putted and I don't think that's true.

A putter that feels good and looks good can certainly instill confidence in someone, which can lead one to become a better putter, but the execution of the putt is entirely up to the person holding the putter and the putter itself has nothing to do with that.

-JP

• Admin
I am sure the Tour Player we spoke to will be distraught over you disagreeing with him.

According to your logic then all the groove technology that people are touting means nothing? Yet science says otherwise. There are a hundred examples with how the putter makes the ball roll better. While that may be different for different people, it is still FACT!!!

You want to go with science it seems only when it benefits your argument.

I am sure the Tour Player we spoke to will be distraught over you disagreeing with him.

According to your logic then all the groove technology that people are touting means nothing? Yet science says otherwise. There are a hundred examples with how the putter makes the ball roll better. While that may be different for different people, it is still FACT!!!

You want to go with science it seems only when it benefits your argument.

Holy distortion of a comment, Batman!

JB, I know that you always have to be right about everything, but you don't seriously believe that a putter has anything to do with execution do you? I mean, that's like saying a certain type of baseball bat has some magical ability to make a batter swing into a pitch more accurately.

I know that in your world equipment is the ultimate everything, but even a vintage '59 Les Paul isn't going to make someone a guitar player if they can't play guitar.

-JP

• Admin
Holy distortion of a comment, Batman!

JB, I know that you always have to be right about everything, but you don't seriously believe that a putter has anything to do with execution do you? I mean, that's like saying a certain type of baseball bat has some magical ability to make a batter swing into a pitch more accurately.

I know that in your world equipment is the ultimate everything, but even a vintage '59 Les Paul isn't going to make someone a guitar player if they can't play guitar.

-JP

Once again, and for the last time. This has nothing to do with being right or whether or not I like equipment. However look at the facts. The groove putters have photos slowed down to show that the ball will turn over and produce a straighter roll. Im not going to get into an argument over this. It is actual science that you can view at any one of the groove putters websites. Certain putters DO put a better roll on the ball. However they may not work for everybody feel and look wise.

Once again, and for the last time. This has nothing to do with being right or whether or not I like equipment. However look at the facts. The groove putters have photos slowed down to show that the ball will turn over and produce a straighter roll. Im not going to get into an argument over this. It is actual science that you can view at any one of the groove putters websites. Certain putters DO put a better roll on the ball. However they may not work for everybody feel and look wise.

But once again you're not reading what I'm writing.

I'm not arguing at all about "science" or what a putter's "technology" will do to a golf ball AFTER it has struck the ball.

What I'm saying is that the EXECUTION is up to the person holding the putter. The putter itself has nothing to do with how a person sets up over the ball, where the ball is positioned in his stance, how the putter is swung and whether or not that putter head is brought to the ball so that it strikes the ball on the center of its face in line with the index mark.

THAT is up to the person using the putter and THEY are responsible for properly EXECUTING those tasks. That's what EXECUTION is. What happens after the ball has been struck is up to science, technology and physics. What happens before is up to a human being.

-JP

Back