Costco or Sam's Club and why

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I recently broke down and got a membership to Sam's Club. We went to Costco first, but they wouldn't take Mastercard! WTF. And it was 50 bucks . . . so we went a couple blocks away and got a membership at Sam's for $40. Then the next day at work, I found out my company belongs so I ended up cancelling our membership and signing up thru work for 5 bucks less. But the good thing about a business membership is you can get in at 7:00 instead of 10:00.

Anyway, that's why we picked Sam's.

Neither...We use BJ's. They accept every credit card, and their prices are the same.

Ive got a card to both for the business, but I usually stick to Costco, no BJs out here yet but im sure they are coming.

Between those 2, Costco, because that's where my mom has a card.

But I prefer Fred Meyers, good prices on Monster and Red Bull :banana:

I've never found enough at either to justify paying to go there. Sam's Club you can always just walk in, but I never see anything. What do you guys get?

At Bj's we get all of our deli meat and tons of other things. Golfer Gal says its as good as Boar's head if not better and we can get it in as small as a 1/2 pound. Plus the people are so friendly.

At Bj's we get all of our deli meat and tons of other things. Golfer Gal says its as good as Boar's head if not better and we can get it in as small as a 1/2 pound. Plus the people are so friendly.

Plus you can use double coupons!! Many laugh at me for my love of a good deal, but if I can save a few bucks why not?

I stock up on the meat thats vacuumed sealed and throw it in the freezer, like chicken and the pork tenderloins are good. Some of the things are too much for just the two of us, but it is sometimes cheaper to buy it and toss the rest although I have issues with throwing away food.

^^^^
Not really a warehouse club.

I actually got a call from Sam's today welcoming me and asking if I had any questions or comments about the store. Never expected that. Is that normal with these warehouse stores?

I actually got a call from Sam's today welcoming me and asking if I had any questions or comments about the store. Never expected that. Is that normal with these warehouse stores?

No. Obviously the greeter is hot for you.

big

My bad.

wmstores_greeter.jpg

Well, I figured she sounded like you!

This should go into the rant thread, but whats up with the people in Costco who stop in the middle of the aisle to grab a free sample. I was in there last night, and its like they cut you off just to stop in front of you to get a half an inch piece of quiche. Is the quiche that good, or is it the fact that it is free,come on people.

My wife and I had a membership at Sam's for a year. We shopped there I think twice in that year. At the time they didn't accept any credit cards other than Discover and I don't have one of those so we stopped going there. Granted most of the time we used our bank card so we could have just stopped and got cash but that's another stop we had to make.

I don't understand why people have to pay money for a membership, and then go into the store and pay more money to buy things?

I've been to costco many times but haven't really focused in on the prices. I assume the benefit of buying a membership is that you you get discounted prices than other competing stores?

Went to Sam's today to stock up. Got to the checkout and I paid for another year since it was due on the 10th. That's all. We spent about $225 today, with the membership, dog food and steaks being the majority.

Neither, after a few months of spending an extra $200 a month or more on a bunch of stuff I didn't really need I stopped going.

Costco, I do not like Walmart. I buy enough at Costco that I get a rebate from them that is quite a bit more than the membership fee. Oh, and the reason I go there is because they carry things that I can't find anywhere else and they provide really good customer service from my experience.

I also know people who work there, and their employees are treated very well.

Last edited:
We do COSTCO. Once a month my wife and two daughters pool their family grocery monies together, and do a "bonding" shopping spree there. I don't know if we actually save any money, but as long as I don't have to go shopping, I am happy.

However, lately they have found that some of these Hispanic Super Markets that seem to be springing up, have better pricing. :confused2:

Costco for us. We've been AMEX users for over 20 years, so we're using the Costco Rewards AMEX card. We get a decent percentage rebate on all purchases anywhere with that card and a bit more on things we buy from Costco. We actually had a $400 rebate one year from Costco, and another $200 from AMEX. We use the card like cash, because we never carry a balance on it. Free money is good!

The nearest Costco is about 3 blocks from our house and has a gas station that we buy from as well. Prices are great and the gas quality is good. Why do we shop at warehouse clubs? With two teenage boys that are athletic (football and lacrosse), buying in bulk makes sense for us.

Costco, I hate going to Sams Club or Walmart. In fact I haven't been in a Walmart in probably 3 years. They are constantly packed with people who don't control their little kids, kids screaming and crying all the time and it must be a unwritten rule that you don't have to take a shower to shop at Walmart as the level of people who stink in that place is through the roof. I would much rather spend a little more money somewhere else than put myself through that mess all the time.

Back