6 iron or hybrid, hmmm

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
I have been pondering this decision for a couple months now and have yet to make my mind up. Should I stick with my 6 iron, or drop it for the hybrid. In hindsight I should have went with the hybrid/iron combo set instead of all irons. The hybrid will be either the Baffler XL or Bio Cell, depending on how they feel in the demo cages.

What say you THP? Keep it or drop it?

Since you said you were actively taking lessons in an effort to get better, I would not change anything right now. Work with what you have until the swing is repeatable.

I have a similar decision to make soon and will likely lean hybrid. I just don't lose anything by going hybrid and I gain consistency.

It is a good discussion, as 6 irons start to take on 5 irons lofts they can become harder to hit.

Good discussion... for me I find my 165yd distance being a little bit more about precision... what in da hell does that mean?, ok If I'm 165 yds away from the hole, I would rather hit a 6 iron because of presicion. If I'm 250 yds away and I'm looking for a preferred yardage I prefer a 165yd 6 hybrid to make SURE I hit the ball 165 somewhere in the fairway.

Then again, this is just me. I feel my hybrids are more long iron / distance enhancements. 6 irons are right in the middle, they might not be considered a scoring iron but they are not a long iron either. New sets bring 6 irons with shaft and loft of a normal 5 irons so if that's the case with your set it might make sense.

I actually added a 3H last year, but this year after hitting my new(to me) CB3s, i am trying to find the rare 3 iron to the set after how well i hit the 4iron .

Hybrids have usually been a hate/love relationship for me, more hate than love, i wish i hit them as well as you describe, seems best to go with what works for your game.

I like my 6i. Traded out my 5i for a 5h and like that decision, but I like the higher ball flight I get with the 6i as opposed to the 6h.

I love my hybrids but for some reason don't get along with anything after 4. I hit my 5 and 6 irons better

From that range, in that 165-170 range (for me), I'm looking for a steeper descent angle and more spin that I get from an iron.

From that range, in that 165-170 range (for me), I'm looking for a steeper descent angle and more spin that I get from an iron.

Agreed. At that distance, I'm probably trying to hit a green, so I'd want something with the trajectory and spin to get it to land and stay close. For me, hybrids are always a flatter trajectory IME.

I went hybrid 6 some time ago and the only time I really see any regret is against stiff winds s the hybrids anymore are such high fliers which can balloon. Easy fix with more club perhaps, but possibly worth mention in some areas of the country or certain times of year.

I keep 6 iron.

And hybrid start at 5 ...... I buy hybrid 5 and 3 IF this is me. Tips from Lydia Ko : grip down to get a bit of shorter distance.

Best of both worlds. A 588 Altitude 6 hyron.

@germanrican : I read your signature, you already have hybrids : #3 callaway and #5 adams golf ..... use them then .

I replaced my 6i with a 6H a few months ago. The 6H is currently my favourite club in the bag.

I just picked up a 5 & 6 hybrid when I gave back the 3 hybrid. The 3h was an overlap with the 5w and I hit the wood better.

Just getting back into the game but I feel more confident and appear to hit more playable balls with the hybrid than the 6i. However due to the fact I'm lacking a 13th & 14th clubs I currently game the 6i and 6h. Will probably drop the 6i but that would give me 2 spots to fill...time will tell.

Exactly the same decision with me. I am so erratic with my 6 iron, and can't get any consistency with it at all. I've practiced until I'm blue in the face and had lessons with it but nothing seems to get me to hit it. When it's sweet, it's sweet....but maybe only one in 10 max. I've been desperately trying to find a Ping G25 hybrid at 31 degree loft to replace it, but they only very very rarely come up for sale anywhere and at silly prices. I will get one eventually....

I struggled, too, with my mid-irons, and decided to go with some Baffler XL hybrids ... the experiment went so well, that I added a 6 and 7 hybrid to the bag. So I now play a Callaway GBB Diving Nine, and 4, 5, 6 and 7 Baffler XL hybrids with Ping Karsten 8, 9 and PW. Works really well for me ... :)

Mike
MPM1960

I loved my 5 and 6 hybrid but dumped them for irons. My swing speed is fast enough that once I got a little better they just went too high. My irons actually go a few yards farther than the hybrid even though the shafts are a good 40 grams heavier. But I would recommend the hybrids for many golfers, they are really a good bit easier to hit.

Back