Effect on course rating on scores-is it dramatic? I say yes.

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
I ask because I am a high handicapper who plays a lot of unfamiliar courses.

I play a in a weekly league, and have for the last couple years.
It is regarded as a quite short and easy course. But my first time playing there (9 holes)has me shaking my head somewhat.
I KNOW this score (41) is NOT a true indicator of my normal expected score, and although I hit the ball well, and putted well (13 putts). It just seemed like everything was ending up 5-6' from the pin, and if not was a bump and run type shot to the hole.

Course rating and slope is 66.5/116 and the yardage is 3089.
I played the par 37 back nine, as opposed to the par 35 front nine.

Thoughts?

Sure it can have an effect, technically if it's an easier course you should play better. I'm assuming you're saying the 41 is better than your normal score?

Sure it can have an effect, technically if it's an easier course you should play better. I'm assuming you're saying the 41 is better than your normal score?

Oh my god yes!
I usually shoot around 100 on tougher courses.

Last year in league I was shooting a 55 average on the back 9.

It's a new year, and after taking lessons throughout the winter, I'm hoping I can average 43-45.

CJ, the slope and rating do indicate how easy the course is, but you've still got to make the shots to get to the green. If I'm reading this right, you shot a 4 over? That's a helluva score and regardless of slope or rating, you should be incredibly proud. Sounds like all of your hard work is paying off.

What Neb said, that's a hell of a score bud. Nice work! The course doesn't make it easier, however, to land everything 5'-6' from the pin. That's all you my man. Sounds like all your work could be paying off.

+4 is +4. Great round! The game gets incredibly easier when you keep the ball on the short grass instead of scrambling all the time. Shorter courses do allow you to use irons off tees and give you short irons into greens which are easier but you still have to play the shots.

CJ, nice 9 buddy! I play both a very tough course and an easy one on a regular basis (hard home course/easy course for my neighborhood league). While the league course is "easy" all the greens are elevated and have plenty of undulations. I'm happy when I shoot well at any course. I think you're 41 is great! Hard course or easy course you still hit the shots and made the putts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

CJ, a +4 in any course is good. Great job brother. Course ratings, IMO, give you a look at the level of difficulty a course is.
I had to look up the definition. Wanted to get that clear for me also. You got me to wondering if I was understanding it correctly.

"Every golf course receives both a USGA Course Rating™*and USGA Slope Rating®*for each set of tees that is rated. The rating established for the scratch golfer is known as the Course Rating. There is also a rating for the bogey player known as the Bogey Rating™*. This Bogey Rating is not normally published but is used to determine a Slope Rating. The Slope Rating is an evaluation of the relative difficulty of a course for players other than scratch. The USGA Course and Slope ratings are then calculated and certified by the authorized golf associations before they are issued to the club. These ratings are vital in calculating a person's handicap for that particular course (Course Handicap).*"
I pulled this from the USGA site. Hope this helps.

Back