Tipping driver shaft

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
I was at my fitting this morning that was mainly for irons but hit my driver a few times and this is what I got.

8.5 910 D3 with 72g whiteboard stiff

Launch 16-17

Spin was 2600

Club head 109

I tried the X in my driver but couldn't get consistent launch too stiff for me. So my instructor/fitter suggested either tipping my shaft 1/2 inch or trying the stiff 82g to bring my launch closer to 13* and drop a little spin.

Any thoughts on tipping a shaft?

I would consider tipping. It is a good suggestion. 1/2 inch might not be enough. This shaft has enough tip to trim it 3 inches if needed. On this specific shaft, 3/4 inch is about where it starts to effect ball flight. I think 1/2 inch is on the conservative side.

I am surprised that the X was too much for you. Could just be your swing path and how you load the shaft.

Anyways, I don't think its a terrible thing to do but I think if you were going to do it I would start at the 1/2". I am not really well educated on how tipping a shaft works but I know that I tipped my 3w shaft a 1/2" and it stiffened up the shaft quite a bit. I am sure there will be some better responses but thats my two cents.

I have my b asha tipped 1.5 inches and love it.

Tipping driver shaft

Kmanc thanks I've zero experience with this.

GregDan I was surprised to but I was getting interesting ball flight(dives left and right) I think with some more swing work it wouldn't be a problem. I think tipping would be the way to go at least to see.

JRod did you do it on a raw length shaft or on a shaft that had already been cut to length?

You might also try a lighter weight xflex and see if that might work

GregDan I was surprised to but I was getting interesting ball flight(dives left and right) I think with some more swing work it wouldn't be a problem. I think tipping would be the way to go at least to see.

JRod did you do it on a raw length shaft or on a shaft that had already been cut to length?
one of the interesting things about this shaft.
You can trim it about 2 inches and not change the flex, but only change the bend point. By trimming, you can bring the launch angle down a little and reduce spin a little. Flex will remain the same, unless you start trimming more. Then the flex changes dramatically.
The reason your ball flight is left to right in the X flex, is you are not creating the force needed to allow the shaft to create the S curve necessary to square the club face. A different brand or model of shaft that is X flex might be right for you. Each shaft is different than each other shaft as far as flex and bend profile and the ability to tip trim.
Now, not all shafts have the design, to allow this much tip trimming, to change bend point and not change flex.
Some Aldila shafts change foxes with only 1/2 inch trim.
The 82 gram version of the Whiteboard, may change your swing plane and A of A enough to change your launch and spin. Hard to know without actually seeing it.

I like the idea of going a 1/2 to 3/4. I feel that will change the flex some, but not much. Will also bring the flex point down some, not much. I honestly dont think tipping a shaft is going to your LA down 3-4*. Honestly with that spin rate and LA unless your seeing ballooning or your DA (descent angle) is tilting towards straight down I think you have fairly decent launch conditions. Your ball speed is probably in the high 140's/low 150's? I'm not sure there is much I would change. Based on club head speed I would say you tetter on a X. But depending on you load the shaft at the top and the amount of lag you create you might be closer to a tweener flex. Something between a S and X. If your wanting to try something in an X I might suggest looking in a 6x weight. Does make it a little easier to load and might gain you a 1-2 mph of club head speed. For reference in playing a 64g Matrix in my R11 and a 75g Matrix in my 3metal. 114 mph clubhead speed on my driver, 92mph 6 iron just to give a couple of reference points.

Was a raw shaft.

Kmanc and Playdough your guys knowledge baffles me and I appreciate all the info.

I believe the reason for tipping is to change the bend point slightly to effect the LA and ball spin and decrease the descent angle to give me more carry and roll. As it is now I get very little roll out, due to the ball falling out of the sky. I don't see ballooning unless its windy and I'm hitting dead into it.

My average carry was like 265-270 and 280ish total, which is good but I know I'm leaving 15+ yds out there and let's face it we all want the most distance possible as long as its accurate distance.

JRod thanks not sure how tipping an unraw shaft that much and then extending to playing length would work.

I may try throwing in my 3wd shaft in the driver to see what happens with flight since its 82g and shorter.

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

After playing today with my loft changed and seeing some better flight on good swings I believe I will be tipping my current shaft at least 1/2in and then seeing what the monitor says before going any further.

Tipping can be a good thing. I have a Tour AD 40 tipped 1.5 in a TEE head and it brought my launch back down a substantial amount. 1/2 is a good starting point, but you could be more in the range of 3/4" to 1" total to bring it down where he wants it. The move up to 82g could be a better move as that will have more impact on spin and flight.

one of the interesting things about this shaft.

The 82 gram version of the Whiteboard, may change your swing plane and A of A enough to change your launch and spin. Hard to know without actually seeing it.

How does changing the shaft, other than the length, change your swing plane? How the head releases at impact I understand but swing plane? For me, swing plane is determined by my spine angle and how high or low I set my hands at address - lower means flatter. My swing plane is determined by the shaft angle at address rotating around my spine angle - at least, that is my goal.

I think he is referring to the extra weight flattening it out, it's is amazing what a few grams will do to swing path. If I go light low 60's I struggle staying in to out(why I have no idea), I also struggle with consistency with light shafts.

I think he is referring to the extra weight flattening it out, it's is amazing what a few grams will do to swing path. If I go light low 60's I struggle staying in to out(why I have no idea), I also struggle with consistency with light shafts.

I agree about heavier shafts helping stay on path but for me it does not effect the plane. I play heavy irons and prefer heavier drivers - I have a Callaway X-Hot Pro and I cannot hit it to save my life. Not sure the weight of my G20. I used to insist on the Fujikura Fit-on-11 at 96g for my driver. It probably cost me a few mph in swing speed but I hit the ball more consistently.

When tipping or cutting the tip ... let say by 1 inch, does it affect the performance of the shaft ? I mean does the shaft lost the "kicking" effect , thus reducing the ball flight distance ??

When tipping or cutting the tip ... let say by 1 inch, does it affect the performance of the shaft ? I mean does the shaft lost the "kicking" effect , thus reducing the ball flight distance ??

won't have a major difference, it's for fine tuning

First post but wanted to see if I could get an answer.

I'm going to get them to trim 1" off the tip of my driver shaft to lower the spin a fraction. Is there any truth to the old adage that 1" of "tipping" is about 1/2 of a standard flex point. ie. 1" off a regular shaft would make it essentially a "stiff regular"?

Thanks

Brad

Back