Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

I just ordered a Classic XL 10.5 yesterday. I'm currently bagging a Supertri 10.5 with a Rombax 6X07 (stiff). Love the feel and trajectory of the Rombax but my 90 MPH swing speed is a little low for the stiff.

I've been looking for a 6X07 shaft in regular for some time to put in my Supertri when I stumbled across a new Cleveland Classic XL with the upgraded Rombax 6X07 shaft in Reg for $199. Love the look of the Classic XL and it is getting good reviews so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I understand that the XL is a lower spinning head than the Supertri so I'm taking a bit of a gamble. The best case scenario is that the Classic XL performs well for me and I have an incredible looking new driver with my favorite shaft in the correct flex for under $200. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Figured I couldn't go wrong for $199 but this is the first time I've purchased a driver without hitting hit.

Last edited:
the jump from stiff to regular could certainly help that transition to a lower spinning head.. Also a spinnier ball if needed..

Congrats on the new driver sandtrapabbott!

Mixed bag of results this weekend with the XLC. Played a local course for the first time and 3 penalty strokes with the driver kept me from breaking my personal best. All three were dead blocks to the right, other 2 misses were not too bad.

I was 3/8 FIR when hitting the driver and was 4/4 FIR when not hitting driver. My Mashie TF3 was about 10-15 yards shorter than even my best drives, and found the fairway more often.

Last edited:
Mixed bag of results this weekend with the XLC. Played a local course for the first time and 3 penalty strokes with the driver kept me from breaking 80. All three were dead blocks to the right, other 2 misses were not too bad.

I was 3/8 FIR when hitting the driver and was 4/4 FIR when not hitting driver. My Mashie TF3 was about 10-15 yards shorter than even my best drives, and found the fairway more often.

I thought I read u shot 79?

I thought I read u shot 79?

Turns out I did break 80, my golfshot app had me at 80 with a par on 18 when I really birdied it. Driver still led to a triple and 2 doubles on the front.

Turns out I did break 80, my golfshot app had me at 80 with a par on 18 when I really birdied it. Driver still led to a triple and 2 doubles on the front.

thats a solid round at a tough course though, congrats man!

thats a solid round at a tough course though, congrats man!

Greens were awesome and the 2 Ball was hot. Best course I've played in Cincy, IMO. Just need to get the driver straightened out, might be trying the NU setting this week.

I had another strong round with the Classic XL Custom yesterday. I played a bit more conservative on my course so I only pulled it 8 times, leaving it in the bag on the tricky 10th hole in favour of my 3 wood.

I ended the day 6 of 8 on fairways with the Classic (and 12 of 14 fairways overall). The first fairway miss was actually quite a good drive, it just leaked a bit right and was battling wind, coming up short of my target by about five yards and landing in a fairway bunker.

The second fairway miss was the most glaring, leaving the face open a bit I guess, and hitting a high fade that ended up in the long grass. A very big miss in comparison to the rest of the day.

Beyond that, my control seemed quite good. Long drive on the day was a GPSed 298 on the very long 18th hole (after a couple solid bounces) and a couple others ranging from 267-278. I just really need to concentrate on a longer swing with an aggressive attack, which seems to really help limit my misses to the left/right.

Overall I think the flight is still a bit high, but I really don't want to mess with the head adjustments to lower the loft because it will open the face. I'm going to keep the momentum going with the neutral setting and just work on playing the wind when needed.

I had another strong round with the Classic XL Custom yesterday. I played a bit more conservative on my course so I only pulled it 8 times, leaving it in the bag on the tricky 10th hole in favour of my 3 wood.

I ended the day 6 of 8 on fairways with the Classic (and 12 of 14 fairways overall). The first fairway miss was actually quite a good drive, it just leaked a bit right and was battling wind, coming up short of my target by about five yards and landing in a fairway bunker.

The second fairway miss was the most glaring, leaving the face open a bit I guess, and hitting a high fade that ended up in the long grass. A very big miss in comparison to the rest of the day.

Beyond that, my control seemed quite good. Long drive on the day was a GPSed 298 on the very long 18th hole (after a couple solid bounces) and a couple others ranging from 267-278. I just really need to concentrate on a longer swing with an aggressive attack, which seems to really help limit my misses to the left/right.

Overall I think the flight is still a bit high, but I really don't want to mess with the head adjustments to lower the loft because it will open the face. I'm going to keep the momentum going with the neutral setting and just work on playing the wind when needed.

I'll concur that you hit this thing very well yesterday. Definitely a high launch no doubt about that, but still some long carry distances and most importantly, a fairway finder

I was hot and cold with this driver this weekend. I think a lot of it has to do with my "tired" swing at times, but when I catch this one on the right spot, I hit it very well.

My miss this weekend was a overcooked fade, and I think the culprit behind that is; a tired "all-arms" type of swing and the fact that I was aiming down the center of the fairway.

After a few bad swings to start the round, I hit this much better. Continues to be a fairway finder for me when I dont back shoulder dip too much and catch it thin. Love the feel and sound at impact and was delighted to see quite a bit of roll out with it yesterday.

Not the longest driver in the world for me, but is easily one of the most consistent. I'll have to look tonight to see what my final fairway numbers were.

After a few bad swings to start the round, I hit this much better. Continues to be a fairway finder for me when I dont back shoulder dip too much and catch it thin. Love the feel and sound at impact and was delighted to see quite a bit of roll out with it yesterday.

Not the longest driver in the world for me, but is easily one of the most consistent. I'll have to look tonight to see what my final fairway numbers were.

If you could bottle up that drive on 18, you'd be living right dude.. Down the center with solid roll.

If you could bottle up that drive on 18, you'd be living right dude.. Down the center with solid roll.

Indeed, I certainly do not hit this as high as some of my other drivers int he past, but love the potential roll out that comes along with the more penetrating ball flights. Didnt feel like I had my best driver day, but the Classic still gave me hope out there.

I think my stock tee ball was referred to by One-T as a "Pull-Cut."

Pull cut, bubba cut....it was working!

Haha. It cracked me up a few times finding out balls next to each other in the fairway. I went big left to right, you went big left to right.

Also, nothing will ever top the drive I had on the 3rd hole of the Nicklaus course. Ever. Best drive ever.

Haha. It cracked me up a few times finding out balls next to each other in the fairway. I went big left to right, you went big left to right.

Also, nothing will ever top the drive I had on the 3rd hole of the Nicklaus course. Ever. Best drive ever.

LMAO, the bridge rail cut! Money!!

After talking to DDec about his Amp Cell, pondering cutting my 5S down to 44.5 or 44.75. It came at the stock 45" length, wondering if some of the bad misses could be helped by going a bit shorter.

After talking to DDec about his Amp Cell, pondering cutting my 5S down to 44.5 or 44.75. It came at the stock 45" length, wondering if some of the bad misses could be helped by going a bit shorter.
After hitting Deans driver, I have the same ponder.

How does that generally effect distance?

After hitting Deans driver, I have the same ponder.

I'm clearly the gold standard now apparently haha

How does that generally effect distance?

i think the general sense is perfectly struck shots will be shorter because they will be a mph or 2 slower than the longer shafted similar strike. BUT if you find the center face more often with the shorter shaft, your drives should be longer than toe/heel strikes with a longer shaft? make sense?

i think the general sense is perfectly struck shots will be shorter because they will be a mph or 2 slower than the longer shafted similar strike. BUT if you find the center face more often with the shorter shaft, your drives should be longer than toe/heel strikes with a longer shaft? make sense?

That makes sense

Back