How would you hit this shot

TinCupTampa

Bag Changes Coming!
Reaction score
Just for fun:

This is a picture of a very unfriendly lie I had last week in Hilton Head. This was the first day there and we were playing Shipyard (Galleon/Clipper). I took a 4 iron on my approach from about 190 and hit it short into a greenside bunker on the front of the green... a fried egg where at least half of the ball is buried.

This is a picture of me sizing the ball up... At this point I figured I had 3 options.

1) open the face and try to blast it out.
2) close the face and hosel it out and hope it stays on the green.
3) wedge it out sideways to safety and try to save bogey.

What would you have done and what do you think I did?

Picture007.jpg

I probably would have tried to "chop-n-pop" it out. Keep the face neutral/square, steep attack angle and just get it out. Holding the green would be nice, but secondary.

My guess is you played open-faced and tried to blast it out.

Im with Klaymon...Pretend you are holding an axe

Me 3. That's why God made lob wedges.

To answer the question in the thread's title, "very, very badly."

I had the exact same lie once, except it was buried deeper, and right against the edge. I choked way down, opened my stance and face as much as i could, and Pulled the club straight up and went straight down, like I was Chopping wood as hard as I could, ball only went about 3 feet but it was on the green.

I would chip out sideways.

This question is really irrelevant, for me. Due to the simple fact that we don't have such beautiful sand in our bunkers! If my ball landed where yours did, it would be perched on top of some hard, compacted sand about where your right foot is. In many ways a very nasty shot, imo.

If my ball landed where yours did, it would be perched on top of some hard, compacted sand about where your right foot is.

Around here, in the heat and dry of summer, it may have bounced completely out of the bunker! Luckily it didn't get that bad this year!

Well... here is what happened.

Im not sure if you could tell but the lip actually stuck out so I didnt have a real clear path.

I also couldnt get a very good position on the ball.

The pin was more to the left of me than in front of me in the picture so the ball position in relation to my stance actually played more to my benefit with what I decided to do.

I decided to square my face because I knew when I made contact ... I would pull it because I would actually be hitting it more on the follow through than on a descending blow... but hopefully still hit the green.

After a good wack I sent the ball about 10ft in the air... 4 feet forward... and about 10 feet to the left out of the bunker on to the edge of the green (by about 2 inches).

Missed my 20+ ft putt for par and ended up with bogey.

With that lie... I was happy with the outcome because it could have been alot worse.

Thanks for all the replies... on most situations with a fried egg... I close the face and hosel it out.

That was a fun exercise.

I'd use a 5 iron here.

I saw it on Playing Lessons with the Pros. I can't think of the pro but he had the same situation and used a low lofted club. Tilted his shoulders with the slope and it popped out nicely. Try it at your practice range. It's especially good if there is some distance between you and the hole.

I would have hooded the face of my 54* sand wedge ,aimed 3 yards right of the hole and buried the head in the sand one or two inches behind the ball with a very agressive swing.

I saw it on Playing Lessons with the Pros. I can't think of the pro but he had the same situation and used a low lofted club. Tilted his shoulders with the slope and it popped out nicely. Try it at your practice range. It's especially good if there is some distance between you and the hole.

I'll definitely try that, but I have to wait until the snow leaves :at-wits-end:

i would personally blast it out like a flop shot. just aim way left and dont be afraid to dig your wedge into the rim of the bunker

Back