Thoughts on handicap rating of clubs e.g low/mid/high?

jrose04

Reaction score
Handicap
I personally disagree with companies categorising clubs by what handicap they think you should have e.g im a 19 handicap and i use amp cell pro blades as i can strike the ball very well as its my short game letting me down. By catergorising them they may put people off what they have their heart set on by thinking their not good enough to use them when this is not true. I know i have been intimidated by the handicap guide. I just want to find out other people views on this any replies are much appreciated cheers josh

Play what makes you happy.

This is the Internet, where we should all be playing forged blades with X100 Tour Issue shafts.

Thoughts on handicap rating of clubs e.g low/mid/high?

Nice and simple answer I LIKE IT haha

For me, it's the right answer. I fully understand that a more forgiving set of irons may save me some strokes. But I don't feed my family with my golf scores. I pay for my tee times. Life's too short for me to lose sleep over a few strokes.

This is not the predominate theory btw.

For me, it's the right answer. I fully understand that a more forgiving set of irons may save me some strokes. But I don't feed my family with my golf scores. I pay for my tee times. Life's too short for me to lose sleep over a few strokes. This is not the predominate theory btw.
I totally agree with you

I agree for the most part. The only way you'll know what you hit the best is by going through an extensive fitting. As a general rule, though, a 25 HC player probably won't fair well with forged blades and a sub-10 capper probably isn't going to want SGI clubs. But yes, I don't think any of us need to feel constrained to what the recommended HC ranges are when companies publish them.

I think the companies need something to give the average consumer an idea of what may be a good fit. That does not mean you can't buy and play whatever feels best to you. Like anything just use it as a guideline to make an informed decision.

I think the companies need something to give the average consumer an idea of what may be a good fit. That does not mean you can't buy and play whatever feels best to you. Like anything just use it as a guideline to make an informed decision.

I agree.

I personally would love to hear more about forgiveness, launch, etc rather than just "our longest iron ever".

I much prefer Wilson's Feel, Control, Distance descriptions. I think it is a better way to go.

This is why I like you.

I'm not a big fan of it personally because too many people pigeon hole a more forgiving club that would odds on be better for them because they aren't classed as a "players" club and that to me is insanity. But, I do also believe in playing what you like, if you accept that you might be leaving a lot on the table.

This is why I like you.

I'm not a big fan of it personally because too many people pigeon hole a more forgiving club that would odds on be better for them because they aren't classed as a "players" club and that to me is insanity. But, I do also believe in playing what you like, if you accept that you might be leaving a lot on the table.

I wish I started playing more forgiving clubs and graphite shafts years ago. It is hard for OEM's to sell that to golfers who want to play what the pros do. Therefore they seem to feel the need to hide the technology or even be a little dishonest to get around golfers egos.

I wish I started playing more forgiving clubs and graphite shafts years ago. It is hard for OEM's to sell that to golfers who want to play what the pros do. Therefore they seem to feel the need to hide the technology or even be a little dishonest to get around golfers egos.

I was much the same dude, for a long time, and even slipped back into that insanity with the S55's for a bit because they manage to blur that players/GI line a bit. But in the end I knew I was leaving more than I was comfortable with out there on the table, give me more forgiveness, give me more launch, give me more consistency every day.

I'll add that even the players/SGI irons are still just guesses as to what will fit many golfers. If my speedblades had come with heavier shafts they would have been a much better fit for me when I first started (and now). Even though they are classified as SGI, the lighter shafts make them harder to control (at least for me)... in the name of extra distance, I guess. speedblade head plus heavy graphite shaft equals awesome club. I wish they sold that as an option off the rack. I think more people would be able to hit them more consistently, but then they might not go as far... meh. I guess if anyone wants to get semi-serious about improving their game they are probably going to go get fit anyway. At least if they are members on THP :)

What every works for you is what you should play if you do not have confidence in some thing i will hurt your preformance

I much prefer Wilson's Feel, Control, Distance descriptions. I think it is a better way to go.

This I feel like this makes tons of sense to me and is easier for most to understand.

I don't by into the HC rating system as it looks at the game as a whole not the individual areas (woods, irons, wedge & putting). If you suffer bad enough in one or two areas it can lead to high scores and a high HC.

I played a set of old Wilson Staff blades for a few years just because I wanted to. It was fun.

This is what my immediate thought was. The handicap range description for clubs doesn't work well for me. I am a higher handicap but I can't hit clubs with too much offset or the giant shovels of the SGI. I prefer more of a better players club but with some distance forgiveness if I miss the sweet spot. Which agrees with
Play what makes you happy.

I don't know I kind of look at clubs like tees, playing the right one makes the game more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.

I don't know I kind of look at clubs like tees, playing the right one makes the game more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.

I know how you play. You're good. Let's assume there is a GI set of irons that takes 2 stokes off your scores because of the forgiveness. Does that mean those irons are the right ones? You prefer thin toplines and minimal offset, which is great.

Are the right irons, the ones that give you the most enjoyment from golf, the irons that lower your score or make you comfortable? I think it changes between individuals.

I know how you play. You're good. Let's assume there is a GI set of irons that takes 2 stokes off your scores because of the forgiveness. Does that mean those irons are the right ones? You prefer thin toplines and minimal offset, which is great.

Are the right irons, the ones that give you the most enjoyment from golf, the irons that lower your score or make you comfortable? I think it changes between individuals.

I agree with you but I think it's a process for everyone, most of the guys I know all played blades as 15, 10 down to + handicaps and most of us know that we would have gotten there faster if we would have played equipment better suited for out skill level instead of what we thought was best lol, we wasted some good time jumping to players clubs when we weren't players yet. You're right though, it's different for us all.

For me personally I know for a fact that my best golf is behind me, my health just won't allow the rigors that it used to and now I want the most perfect shots in a round that I can hit rather than the total score. There's something about a perfectly executed shot that blows my mind, it's the constant chase for it with equipment that demands damn near perfection, it still lets me know there's a little something there even if it's one shot a round. Good point Joe.

I agree.

I personally would love to hear more about forgiveness, launch, etc rather than just "our longest iron ever".

I was thinking the same thing, but the only thing is..."sex sells" and for golfers that means "longest", "10 yards longer than....", etc.

If more companies came up to the Average Joe golfer and said, "Look, this is more forgiving, easier to hit and will help get the ball in the air better. IF that's what your WANT, this is your club. It MAY not be as long as our "X" model, but you'll enjoy the game more."
I don't know, knowledge is power, and that might sell.

Pretty easy in my book. If someone came up to me and said...."James, this driver is about the same length as your current model you hit, maybe 5 yards or so shorter, however, due to what we have done with this club, you'll hit at least 25% MORE fairways off the tee. Would you like to hit it and see what you think?"
My answer would be, "Yes"

I agree.

Thats all you seem to see in past couple years is "our longest irons ever" and all they do is bump up the degree and lengthen the shaft

This is a great point blugold!

I'm in the thin topline, less offset camp like Trout Bum and really enjoy the challenge and feeling of hitting a well struck shot with a really sweet looking forged club (I'm looking at you, MP-4!). The fact that the first and subsequent sets of clubs I grew up with back in the 70's were blades has a lot to do with my preference. I have tried several GI type clubs over the decades, but keep going back to forged blades or CB irons. They just have that IT factor for me.

No matter what the companies say, find the clubs that fit your game the best and keep in mind what blugold says above when your looking. Remember, know matter what the numbers say, if you don't particularly like the way a club looks, feels, whatever then you can throw the numbers out the window because you don't have the club that's right for you. That's how I feel anyhoo

Thats all you seem to see in past couple years is "our longest irons ever" and all they do is bump up the degree and lengthen the shaft

Nope. They do a lot more. Those loft changes help golfers achieve optimal launch angles.

Back