Watching Golf on TV....

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
When we watch football, aside from commercials, we get to watch football. When we watch baseball, aside from commercials, we get to watch baseball. The same is true for basketball, soccer, tennis, and most other televised sports... EXCEPT GOLF. Between the commercial breaks and "Talking heads" wasting camera time with nonsense, we get to watch comparatively little golf. Maybe... just maybe... those trying to figure out how to increase golf's popularity are looking in the wrong places. I don't know of any other sport that spends so much money hiring so many egos to clash with one another at the expense of showing the sport's action. I'm just sayin'!

Last edited:
Analysis is great but couldn't agree more.
Esp at the Ryder Cup first two days, I never understand how they can't show every single shot.

I totally agree with you. I know he is playing well and I will watch him for the next few hours I don't want to see every move he makes before he tees off

DVR............I pass thru the drabble..........

I can't stand the golf coverage. If the coverage follows a pair and one of the guys falls back he might as well be a ghost, you never see him take another shot. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the live@ feed that sits at a couple holes and you get to see all the golfers come through during a round.

agree...i'm a big Poulter fan, he started the day in top 10, and didn't see him once. How is that possible?

I do like when they have the dedicated coverage of a couple holes on Golf Channel when the regular broadcast is going on, at least it gives you an option. I rarely have the volume above a whisper when I am watching so the commentary doesn't bother me too much.

Couldn't agree more. There's 70 guys out there today and we'll see so much filler and replays. Plenty of gold shots today that we could watch.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today has been really annoying. Coverage started at noon and they showed maybe 10 shots total up until 3pm. Seriously enough hype let's watch golf. I don't care if it's not the final group, show us something besides the bs. Its too much

Agree completely. I don't mind the talking per say but why not talk while showing some golf. I don't need to look at the announcers faces when they talk.
The only time you see a guy hit a ball who isn't in contention is if its Phil or Tiger.

Couldn't agree more with the OP, however I would say its just the American coverage that this happens and just the mens. The LPGA coverage is great.

Better still, watching the European coverage is more focused on the golf being played than the talking heads drivel and turns into a much pleasurable watching experience.

When we watch football, aside from commercials, we get to watch football. When we watch baseball, aside from commercials, we get to watch baseball. The same is true for basketball, soccer, tennis, and most other televised sports... EXCEPT GOLF. Between the commercial breaks and "Talking heads" wasting camera time with nonsense, we get to watch comparatively little golf. Maybe... just maybe... those trying to figure out how to increase golf's popularity are looking in the wrong places. I don't know of any other sport that spends so much money hiring so many egos to clash with one another at the expense of showing the sport's action. I'm just sayin'!

That's where UK and US coverage differ. Back home, the broadcasters try to cram in as many shots as possible. Here, the coverage seems to involve the top 2 or 3 and Tiger. I don't watch anywhere near as much golf here as I used to back home because the coverage absolutely does my head in!

Analysis is great but couldn't agree more.
Esp at the Ryder Cup first two days, I never understand how they can't show every single shot.

Living in Germany for over 20 yrs, had to watch SKY SPORTS coverge (Brits) of the Euro Tour - and they do things right. You see shot to shot of the three or four leader groups. Really like watching their coverage.

But showing people who are completely out of the mix makes no sense - once Brandon Todd shot his 40 on the front nine Saturday, was there any reason to continue to show his shot by shot play? No.

Interested to see how FOX does coming in and taking over for NBC on US Open coverage. NBC has been by favorite stateside coverage over CBS.

But showing people who are completely out of the mix makes no sense - once Brandon Todd shot his 40 on the front nine Saturday, was there any reason to continue to show his shot by shot play? No.

Interested to see how FOX does coming in and taking over for NBC on US Open coverage. NBC has been by favorite stateside coverage over CBS.

I'd rather see his shots (and anyone else's for that matter) even if he is out of contention, over watching Compton walk from his vehicle into player hospitality tent or watch Fowler on the range...

I don't know...it could actually get worse. FOX is notoriously graphic heavy (see football and NASCAR). I don't mind graphics as long as they add something. Grahpics for the sake of graphics (see sportscenter) is over-produced and annoying. It could be cool, like a sponsored camera on a caddie's hat....or it could be a sponsored color-coded shot tracker trail on how fast a caddie is walking down the fairway.

I'd like to see the shot tracer on all tee shots for par 4's and 5's. Live, not a replay with it.

Back