Diane

Reaction score
I was reading about Descartes this weekend - don't get excited - I'm not that deep of a thinker, but it did get me thinking about the physical game vs. the mental game in golf. I'm sure WSE and Claire who are much deeper thinkers will wonder what the hell I was thinking, but I digress. Golf has two separate parts, but they are not mutually exclusive. How do you reconcile your physical game with your mental game? Can you separate them or how do you get them to work together to your advantage?

Hmm....this is like saying "what if C-A-T really spelled D-O-G? No idea?

The mental game is just course management, isn't it? Focus, and getting past the bad shots.

Thanks for the compliment! Or does it just mean I can dig myself into deeper holes?

I was just thinking the exact same thing Diane,then i remembered i had some beer in the fridge,so eitherway i'm in a happy place.

I golf, therefore I am.

-JP

The mental game helps the physical game. Without a good pre and post shot routine,golf is much harder.Without a good mental state,golf is played aimlessly .The mental game also helps one to improve.We all can hit good shots,but we all will hit some bad shots.We must focus on the good and not the bad.Focusing on the bad won't do anything good for the golf swing.Golf is all confidence,without confidence how does one expect to play well?

Im pretty big into the mental aspect of the game. For me, when Im playing my best I dont think about my swing. I dont think about any swing mechanics or tempo or anything. The swing just kinda happens.
Beyond that, I try to visualize the shot and what kind of ballflight I want and I focus on having my swing be smooth, easy and relaxed.
After I hit my shot, I accept the results and I move on. I focus on being in the moment and focusing on the shot Im about to hit (which is the only shot that really matters).
I try to be very calm, very relaxed. I try not to force shots, I simply allow them to happen.
Not sure if that makes any sense or not, but it is what it is.

Take your physical game improvement to the range, for the most part.
when you get a move dialed in, take it to the course.

Of course I am typing about the move that takes the driver 300 yards. :D

I like cake.:D

I like cake.:D

I like cupcakes, but I'm making cookies right now - chocolate chocolate chip. I made blueberry muffins yesterday. I have to give most of it away or I'll eat it :pig:

I like cupcakes, but I'm making cookies right now - chocolate chocolate chip. I made blueberry muffins yesterday. I have to give most of it away or I'll eat it :pig:

Just remembered I have 3/4 of an Eli's sampler cheesecake in the fridge, be right back:cake:

Just remembered I have 3/4 of an Eli's sampler cheesecake in the fridge, be right back:cake:

Please tell me you're not eating all of it. :shock:

If I am not physically fit, I can't be mentally fit is the way I look at the two. They both work together to an eventual out come. I think a person can be mentally fit, but if they are not able to pull the shot of physically, it a waste of brain cells. That is until those same brain cells cause their owner to get physically fit. The old cliche' of a healthy body helps a healthy mind rings true.

IMO, the mental game is more important than the physical game. You can be as strong as you want, but if your mind isnt strong you wont be able to execute the shot you want.
Golfers havent always been the most physically fit athletes in the world but have pulled off some pretty amazing shots.

"Be the ball, just BE the ball!!!":golf2:

Back