Matrix TPHDe Shaft - THP Preview

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
When a shaft company introduces a new product that showcases their capacity for shaft building, excitement builds. For Matrix, the release of the TPHDe shaft includes incredible technology and material in an extremely good looking package. Discussing the shaft characteristics recently, it sounds like I can anticipate an offering that is stout in flex readouts, yet offers feedback to suggest something slightly softer. With that in mind, I plan to enter this experience with a completely open mind to feedback, flighting, and overall execution quality. Albeit a very optimistic open mind.

THP offered a great inside look regarding the TPHDe shaft with Matrix at the PGA show this year:

Matrix technology built into the TPHDe is nothing short of impressive;

Their popular HD design, which offers a 16 sided internal structure for more stability and consistency across the body of the shaft.
Angular Velocity Fulcrum, utilizing the butt section for energy transfer, which allows for greater launch and spin control.
Circumferential Flexural Integrity, to guarantee consistency in flex throughout the shaft
And the remarkable Interply Hybrid Technology, which is a six day process that includes twelve steps utilizing carbon, boron (from Russia), Zylon, GMAT (from the United Kingdom), and the interply laminate/clocking method. They believe that the execution process allows the materials to work together to create effects that are greater than the sum of their parts, causing a notable effect on ball speed and sidespin reduction.

The shaft in for review in the TP6HDe, which is a 68 gram shaft defined as low/mid launch and mid spin. It will be paired with a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha driver set to varying lofts.

From a Matrix Media release in May:

The Matrix R&D department, responsible for the creation of multiple Major winning shafts, is pleased to announce the release of the OZIK TPHDe, the next generation TPHD.

Created with the finest materials available, all brought together from different countries around the world, the TPHDe joins the OZIK families most premium line. The multi-material Interply design combines boron, zylon and GMAT, to create this advanced structure, more stable and more detailed than any design structure ever before released.

The TPHDe design follows the same state-of-the-art techniques as the original TPHD shaft, however the HD technology that is used in the TPHDe has actually been extended through the shaft, e=extended. With its 16 sided internal platform (hexadecagonal), HD design allows for new levels of structural strength.

“Not only did we redesign the structure of the TPHDe with the extension of the HD design, we re-defined the flex profiles and optimized them with feedback we received from PGA Tour Players to create a tour caliber shaft,” said Director of R&D, Tom DeShiell.

This mid-spinning, mid-launching shaft features a modern day design concept unlike anything ever designed by Matrix before. The MSRP for the TPHDe is $1250.00 and is available at a Matrix dealer near you.

In Hand Photos

20140616_135130-L.jpg

20140616_135108-L.jpg

20140616_135307-L.jpg

20140616_135258-L.jpg

20140616_135225-L.jpg

20140616_135236-L.jpg

20140616_135242-L.jpg

20140616_135743-L.jpg

Looking good dude. Watcha going to put it in?

Such an amazing looking shaft, looking forward to your feedback

Gonna guess you're excited for this one. Hawk, it looks like it's going in a Big Bertha Alpha?

Ahhhhhhhhh now I see it.

Hit her well! I meant to swing this in MSP, but rain killed the range time.

Gonna guess you're excited for this one. Hawk, it looks like it's going in a Big Bertha Alpha?

Extremely. I put it in play Saturday and was finding some excellent flighting. Out of the 50-60 swings I have on it already, only one made me question the overall stability in the shaft, which is probably 100% bad timing on my swing. I wasn't seeing much roll, but it could have been the conditions. I'll be putting it through the paces locally and hope to see some good rollout.

That thing is sweet interested to see how it preforms for you

Looking forward to your thoughts, I know you will kill it, both the shaft and the review!

Extremely. I put it in play Saturday and was finding some excellent flighting. Out of the 50-60 swings I have on it already, only one made me question the overall stability in the shaft, which is probably 100% bad timing on my swing. I wasn't seeing much roll, but it could have been the conditions. I'll be putting it through the paces locally and hope to see some good rollout.

I look forward to your feedback on it. Should be a fun one for you

Oh wow, this is the one that you were killing! See I was right.

Looking forward to your thoughts, I know you will kill it, both the shaft and the review!
Oh wow, this is the one that you were killing! See I was right.

haha I was about to say, you saw it first hand my friend!!! It's the truth, I was really striking it well, and while some shots were underwhelming with distance (not dialed in), when I found the center of the face the shaft really started to perform. Tight draws, even a fade mixed in, none of which spun out of control. Flighting was consistent as well.

These shafts are so gorgeous!

Those graphics are sick!

Amazing looking! I would bet Dan in destroying golf balls Werth BBA head at the end of it

What a beautiful shaft. I cant wait to hear your thoughts Dan as you put it through its paces

Love the look of that shaft and can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I liked the original HD series and I am sure this one will be even better. The graphics on this thing are unbelievable

Looks like that shaft pairing will play well with your Alpha. Look forward to hearing more results.

Pictures will never ever ever ever ever ever do it justice.

Also, Dan hitting this, this past weekend was ridiculous. Poor poles at the end of the driving range had no clue who or what was assaulting them.

Such a beautiful shaft....and expensive.

Thought about swinging it Sunday but then thought what would happen if I somehow broke it. I'll admire from afar.

Such a beautiful shaft....and expensive.

Thought about swinging it Sunday but then thought what would happen if I somehow broke it. I'll admire from afar.

Not at THP Events brother.
Gear in for review is always welcome.
I saw Canadan hit this one time and said "You will do it more justice than me, keep the driver".

Not at THP Events brother.
Gear in for review is always welcome.
I saw Canadan hit this one time and said "You will do it more justice than me, keep the driver".

Good point. Let's change my excuse to that if I liked it I would want to buy it and that's no bueno after the putter I bought Saturday night!

:)

Whoa, lucky you Danny. Cant wait to hear how this works for you.

Look forward to your thoughts on this Dan.
Jman was commenting, when we were on #11 tee box Saturday, at the end other end of the range, that you were bouncing balls off the top of the poles on the range this morning."
Pretty impressive.

Back