Adjusting to a New Putter

VPSax

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking for some advice, as I am trying to get comfortable with my new (pre-owned) SeeMore si3 putter. The putter face is MUCH more lively than my previous putters, so along with trying to get the line accurate I am also firing way past the hole. Then I over-adjust and under-hit it.

After a 41-putt round, I spent some time on the practice green. I think I need a shorter backswing, longer follow through with while releasing the club, and a more forward placement of the ball in my stance. I keep thinking about Dave Stockton's advice regarding keeping the weight forward and rolling the ball. The pace of my practice putts was much better with the short backswing...it just feels really weird.

Am I on the right track here? Any other advice from those who have been through this?

Thank you!

The only advice I can really give is what my coach teaches me for putting. The stroke should be a 2:1 back stroke to forward stroke. Meaning backstroke is two times that of the forward stroke. It took me a lot of practice to get used to but my putting has never been better. 32 putts on Wednesday and 31 yesterday. (I will say that putts per round isn't a great indicator though of where one's game is at)

Second thing, I have an Si3 and it took me probably 7 rounds and at least 3-4 hours of practice to get really used to it. Now, it's by far the best putter I've ever owned.

I'm looking for some advice, as I am trying to get comfortable with my new (pre-owned) SeeMore si3 putter. The putter face is MUCH more lively than my previous putters, so along with trying to get the line accurate I am also firing way past the hole. Then I over-adjust and under-hit it.

After a 41-putt round, I spent some time on the practice green. I think I need a shorter backswing, longer follow through with while releasing the club, and a more forward placement of the ball in my stance. I keep thinking about Dave Stockton's advice regarding keeping the weight forward and rolling the ball. The pace of my practice putts was much better with the short backswing...it just feels really weird.

Am I on the right track here? Any other advice from those who have been through this?

Thank you!

I think you just have to spend a lot of extra time on the practice green getting use to it.

The only advice I can really give is what my coach teaches me for putting. The stroke should be a 2:1 back stroke to forward stroke. Meaning backstroke is two times that of the forward stroke. It took me a lot of practice to get used to but my putting has never been better. 32 putts on Wednesday and 31 yesterday. (I will say that putts per round isn't a great indicator though of where one's game is at)

Second thing, I have an Si3 and it took me probably 7 rounds and at least 3-4 hours of practice to get really used to it. Now, it's by far the best putter I've ever owned.

Thank you for your input. So, with a 2:1 backswing you don't find yourself putting too much on the ball? What's the key? Loose grip?

Length of stroke is key for me. Take a smaller back swing for a shorter putt and so on

Practice, practice, practice. I do a compass drill (four golf balls, all 3' away from the hole, set up N, S, E, and W). Goal is to sink 20 in a row. Same drill, but now 4' apart. Another drill is a lag drill, 20' putts with a tee 3' behind the hole. Goal is to not leave any short, but no longer than that tee you set 3' behind the hole. I try to do that for 10 putts in a row.

Another thing I do is, get on the course after hours and try those drills on the actual greens. While the practice greens are good, they usually don't carry the sort of break actual greens do.

Back