Kitchen Appliances - Brands you love/hate?

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all, I'm posting a thread on this after JB and I exchanged tweets. I'm looking to buy a fridge and slide-in range in preparation for a kitchen renovation, already set on which model of dishwasher and microwave that we're going for. So I'm looking for opinions on the different appliance makers, whether they are good or bad.

We've been to a few stores around here, and probably have it narrowed down to 3 companies: Kenmore (via Sears), Electrolux, and GE Cafe. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

One thing to remember is who owns who.
For instance Electrolux is Fridgidaire.
Kenmore is made by 3-4 different places including Whirlpool, Bosch, GE, etc.

Out of your 3 I like Kennmore. If your still looking at options you should check out Samsung and Viking.

while this is only one example, we purchased one of the top models of an LG electric range. It stopped working within about 60 days. LG's repair warranty process was to diagnose the problem over the phone, fed ex the parts they thought would repair the problem, and then after we confirmed arrival of the part(s) they dispatched a repair service from like 90 miles away - not the authorized dealer we purchased the range from (4 miles away). Well the parts they dispatched did not fix the problem and they wanted to start the whole process over again (send more parts etc). This was like a week before a house full of company for thanksgiving. After a lot of screaming and shouting (on my part), the selling dealer took the unit back (at full value) and replaced it with a GE Café unit which has worked perfectly now for 3+ years. Just one data point but .... Good Luck

while this is only one example, we purchased one of the top models of an LG electric range. It stopped working within about 60 days. LG's repair warranty process was to diagnose the problem over the phone, fed ex the parts they thought would repair the problem, and then after we confirmed arrival of the part(s) they dispatched a repair service from like 90 miles away - not the authorized dealer we purchased the range from (4 miles away). Well the parts they dispatched did not fix the problem and they wanted to start the whole process over again (send more parts etc). This was like a week before a house full of company for thanksgiving. After a lot of screaming and shouting (on my part), the selling dealer took the unit back (at full value) and replaced it with a GE Café unit which has worked perfectly now for 3+ years. Just one data point but .... Good Luck

Its amazing how different experiences are. We had a LG kitchen suite about 5 years ago. The ice maker stopped working on the fridge and we called them up. They had someone out at our house the following day and he had the part on the truck. Fixed the same day.

I think this is what happens a lot of the times though. You just never know.

I believe that almost every one of these are the same right now in terms of performance. Some people will have issues and others will not.

Been doing this for a lot of years and have never been disappointed with Sears. They are also selling other products now and I have a new GE fridge and a new Kenmore Dishwasher and am happy with both.

I've heard from my parents that it always pays to go to a local appliance store as the big box stores do not always get the same quality of goods. We have a 40 some year old sub zero (original from when the house was built) and it's still going strong (granted it was a top of the line model) and my parents swear by Asko dishwashers. (never had a problem with ours). Also, our range is a GE Cafe and we haven't had any problems for the 2.5 years we've had it.

Samsung washer/dryer - love
LG dishwasher -hate

LG fridge and microwave are decent.

All Sears for this house hold..

Hey all, I'm posting a thread on this after JB and I exchanged tweets. I'm looking to buy a fridge and slide-in range in preparation for a kitchen renovation, already set on which model of dishwasher and microwave that we're going for. So I'm looking for opinions on the different appliance makers, whether they are good or bad.

We've been to a few stores around here, and probably have it narrowed down to 3 companies: Kenmore (via Sears), Electrolux, and GE Cafe. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Kenmore and the GE would be my top two. Electrolux doesn't impress me much with some of the kitchen reno's we've done. I think I remember talking to you months back that this is not your "forever" house. So Sub Zero, Viking, Gaggenau, wolf and those companies may be more than your looking for. Typically people like to stick to like brands when choosing appliances, more for the finishes that they buy. Not all appliances have the same black, or stainless look. Figured I would just throw it out there buddy

Kenmore and the GE would be my top two. Electrolux doesn't impress me much with some of the kitchen reno's we've done. I think I remember talking to you months back that this is not your "forever" house. So Sub Zero, Viking, Gaggenau, wolf and those companies may be more than your looking for. Typically people like to stick to like brands when choosing appliances, more for the finishes that they buy. Not all appliances have the same black, or stainless look. Figured I would just throw it out there buddy

I was going to throw this out there too, if you mix and match you will definitely want to make sure the finishes match or it could look really out of place. I have always had good luck with GE and kitchenaid also.

My Maytag stuff has been good so far. Of course, I realize Maytag is made by someone else now...can't remember who bought them...

We bought an Amana French door refrigerator six years ago from Sears. The model was the top rated of that type of refrigerator at the time by Consumer Reports. We went with Hotpoint for our dishwasher and gas stove. Neither one was the top rated, but were all CR Best Buys. No troubles with any of them and I passed on the extended warranties on all three.

People either like Consumer Reports or think they are on the take from companies, but my opinion is to subscribe for a month to CR online and read everything you can about whatever you are looking for. I NEVER go against the advice of CR and I have never had an issue with any big ticket item since I didn't listen to them about buying a 1985 Buick Somerset Regal (the first year they were made). After that debacle, if they liked something, I had no qualms going with them.

Kitchenaid fridge = awesome!
Kenmoore dishwasher = OK, some issues but pretty good for what we paid for it
GE microwave and range that came with our house = The gas range/oven have been here since we built the house 13 years ago and are still going strong. I had to replace the igniters in both the broiler and oven, but other than that, no issues to speak of. The microwave, eh. Had to replace the whole thing once already.

I think JB is right. It's a crap shoot. You've got about the same odds with any of the brands, I think. Some of the in-door ice makers on new refrigerators I don't like at all. We went with the Kitchenaid that has the freezer below, water dispensed inside the fridge itself, etc. One of the things that I liked about the Kitchenaid is that it had the best warranty by a few years when I was looking. They covered parts and labor to the point where some were only covering parts after a couple years.

Have had good luck with...

Whirlpool, Samsung, LG, Bosch and Electrolux. All have great features and been very reliable.

The Bosch dishwasher is a particular favorite...works very well and is whisper quiet. Easy to maintain and the stainless tub stays sparkling clean and no rust in the racks if you care about such things.

The Electrolux range has been a very consistent turkey cooker and the LG washer and dryer are especially easy to use.

Whats also funny is that some brands are made in rhe same factories as others with the same parts and just stamped with one companies name over the other

For kitchen appliances I always prefer bosch, as they provide wide range of kitchen appliances at a reasonable price and good quality. So you can give it a try.

GE, from Home Depot. I avoid Sears at all costs, at least in my neck of the woods they are totes unreliable.

Hey everyone, bumping an old thread. Over the next 2-3 weeks the wife and I will be looking to purchase the below so I'm looking for thoughts on personal experience and recommendations. We want solid quality stuff - not the best (Viking, etc) but something that will last and works well. Appreciate any advice! As always, looking for solid deals as well.

1) Double oven (wall mounted)....not the kind with the range on top
2) Gas or electric top (unsure the feasibility of getting a gas line to where it would be needed as of now)
3) Dishwasher

We already have a stainless steel double fridge that will be used so will be looking to go matching with stainless in the above as well.

Open to any and all thoughts, thanks!!

I have LG appliances in the Panda kitchen. I'd go gas with the stove and convection for oven

I have LG appliances in the Panda kitchen. I'd go gas with the stove and convection for oven

We have LG here too. Also definitely prefer Gas. In fact we just bought a new kitchen suite and after trying and studying everything went with LG.
Love the Bosch dishwashers, but their drying function (lack thereof) is something I just cannot stand. They are very quiet, however the new LG models are on par or close to quietness when I have heard them both, and have a very good drying function.

Just make sure you get a stainless steel tub. We opted for 3rd rack as well and like it. If you do not have a water softener and have hard water in your area, opt for steam also.

Love our new suite quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing a ton of good things about LG also.....good to hear the experiences here are the same.

I don't know to be honest. Everything in my kitchen is metallic, but I don't think that helps. We switched over to all electric a few years ago for a number of reasons. I'm going to go look though because I was telling my wife the other day that everything except the dishwasher seems to be pretty good.

I had Samsung and LG in my previous kitchen, and had problems with the LG dishwasher and Samsung oven in the 3 years I was there . The repair man said he would stay away from both if these companies. It's just one guys opinion, but thought I would throw it out there.

I have a GE Monogram oven and advantium Microwave. I basically bought them because I loved the look, but the advantium microwave is awesome. I know other brands have speed cook technology now, and I definitely would check them out.

I wanted wall mount oven and microwave, and I was pretty set on pro style handles, so my options were pretty limited without going crazy on price.

Back