bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
All,

I know the length of most current drivers is between 45" to 46". I have a R1 and the length of my driver was 45.5". Lately I have been missing left and right so I decided to cut down the shaft to increase my fairways hit. Yesterday I cut the shaft to 44" and today I took it out and hit 10 of 12 fairways. Also, I did not lose any distance.

It does feel lighter and I have ordered some weights to try to get the swingweight back to where it was.

Has anyone else did this and if so....what were your results?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Cut an inch off one time to play 44" and it just didn't work for me. Totally changed the feel of the driver to me and I never could get adjusted to it so the inch went back on.

You cut the shaft to that length or is it the total driver length? I am a tall guy and cut mine down from 46 to 45 with excellent results.

Meant to say I cut it to 44".

Hahaha. I was so confused and conceded. Haha

I play my big dog at 45". And it's spectacular.

Hahaha. I was so confused and conceded. Haha

I play my big dog at 45". And it's spectacular.
Lol makes so much more sense. Im thinking damn 40"?? Haha but yeah I'm like you guys and the OP, 44" or so feels so much better and easier to control for me.

I'm pretty tall and play mine at 45.

Lol! I was about stay that your driver is shorter than my 2i

Today was the first full round with my new shaft, which was more stiff flex added and also cut from 46 to 45. Results were awesome. Hit 10/13 fairways and had no loss of distance just tighter dispersion. Wish I had done this years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a driver that I cut to 44 inches and totally ruined any confidence I had with it. I like to play mine at 45.25

I had a driver that I cut to 44 inches and totally ruined any confidence I had with it. I like to play mine at 45.25

How did it ruin your confidence?

How did it ruin your confidence?

I gained a two way miss and couldn't hit a fairway after a couple of rounds I hated reaching for the driver and all those bad shots were in my head. Shorter isn't always best for everyone.

Went from 45.5" to 45" recently. It's resulted in 2 things: more consistency and more reliability. No distance loss, and in fact, you can argue average distance gain due to being around the center of the face more often. I really enjoy it at that length and can see myself staying there for a long time.

Question if I may ... Wouldn't be easier to "choke up" and inch versus cutting it? At least that's what I do, because sometimes I still like swing a "full" length club ... But most of the time I do choke up ...

Is there advantage to cutting it ... What am I missing ... (Other most of my brain cells ... )

I play irons/wedges at +1 and play my driver at 45" so it is cut down for my height

I learned early on that I didn't like the long shafts some companies were shipping out with the intention of helping golfers increase swing speeds. Give me the "old" standard length shafts any day over that. I don't feel I have control over those longer shafts. I'd much rather be in the fairway than in the sticks.

Question if I may ... Wouldn't be easier to "choke up" and inch versus cutting it? At least that's what I do, because sometimes I still like swing a "full" length club ... But most of the time I do choke up ...

Is there advantage to cutting it ... What am I missing ... (Other most of my brain cells ... )

With me it was all mental, I couldn't get over the choking up deal. So I am playing mine at 45".

I have a Nike VR _S Covert that I have been using because it comes shorter at the stock version so you don't have to mess with trying to bring the swing weight back to par. I picked it up for $3.00 after trading in a few wedges and a 3 - wood. It was a demo at Dick's for $149.00. Best three bucks I have ever spent :thumb:

[h=1]Nike VR_S Covert 2.0 Tour Driver[/h]

I have a Nike VR _S Covert that I have been using because it comes shorter at the stock version so you don't have to mess with trying to bring the swing weight back to par. I picked it up for $3.00 after trading in a few wedges and a 3 - wood. It was a demo at Dick's for $149.00. Best three bucks I have ever spent :thumb:

[h=1]Nike VR_S Covert 2.0 Tour Driver[/h]

Isn't the covert tour at 45-3/4" stock length?

Isn't the covert tour at 45-3/4" stock length?

I don't know blue. I was putting it up against other drivers in Dick's and it was a good inch shorter. I thought it felt short (which I prefer) and then when I compared them I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking maybe the demo one had been cut down but when I grabbed a new one off the rack it was the same length. I love the feel of this thing!

I don't know blue. I was putting it up against other drivers in Dick's and it was a good inch shorter. I thought it felt short (which I prefer) and then when I compared them I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking maybe the demo one had been cut down but when I grabbed a new one off the rack it was the same length. I love the feel of this thing!

Interesting. I'm happy that it's working for you. Doesn't matter why.

I'm only 5'4" and usually play my driver at 44". But I think my swing gets too steep. I just bought a g25 and choke down to around 45" and its been pretty good for me. I may shorten it to that length or continue to just choke down. I always feel like I hit drivers well choking down a little until I shorten them then they go haywire. Lol

You cut the shaft to that length or is it the total driver length? I am a tall guy and cut mine down from 46 to 45 with excellent results.

44" is the total driver length.

I tried choking up but it doesn't feel comfortable to me.

At 5'10" I have been cutting down my drivers to 44.5 or 45 inches, but my current driver is at 46 inches and I'm driving very well. No doubt a shorter shaft does offer some control, but for me I was better served working with my PGA teacher and working out some swing issues and staying at the longer length. Now I just need to reduce some driver spin. Time to look at some other options for that.

Back