Question if I may ... Wouldn't be easier to "choke up" and inch versus cutting it? At least that's what I do, because sometimes I still like swing a "full" length club ... But most of the time I do choke up ...

Is there advantage to cutting it ... What am I missing ... (Other most of my brain cells ... )

Swing weight, consistency of the grip / address.

I prefer not to choke down on any full shot, 3/4 & 1/2 swings yes, but full swings it feels odd.

My Razr-Fit is 45.5" (had to look it up) and it works great for me. Don't feel it's too long or anything. If I need a little more accuracy I'll choke down a couple of inches and swing away - so sweet!

44.5" seems to be my sweet spot. Plus, my preferred grip is to choke down about .5" on all clubs so I guess the dynamic length is 44".

For me the sweet spot has always been right around 45".
I've tried both shorter and longer but keep coming back to the standard length

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I cut my SLDR s down to 44.75 yesterday.

I play mine at 45.25" but I usually grip down a bit so it's more like 45" or 44.75". And that usually gives me the best results.

I got fit for a driver at 44" this year, and I've been hitting the ball straighter and longer than I ever have. But I'm relatively short, so I guess that's not terribly surprising.

I played my Bertha to a total of 44", not much distance lost and my
dislersion got tighter, per my fitting in January.

I've never thought that much about my driver length. I know I've played shorter shafts and not had issue with distance but I've just never paid enough attention to figure out if there's a particular length that is ideal.

44.5 always

Yep, I don't play any driver over 44.75", and mostly have mine cut to 44.5". Anything over 45", and my consistency seems to drop like a rock.

Yep, I don't play any driver over 44.75", and mostly have mine cut to 44.5". Anything over 45", and my consistency seems to drop like a rock.

Crazy how many people play drivers longer than us though

Crazy how many people play drivers longer than us though

No doubt. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the "general golfing public" just taking what's on the rack in a local shop and using it, especially if that club's manufacturer is claiming X yards increase. THPers tend to be a slightly more, ummm... picky bunch when it comes to finding the right equipment.

Maybe this has been done, or maybe not, but I'd like to see the results of a live study, documenting the impact of differing driver lengths on drive yardage and on dispersion. I know what my hypothesis would be.

No doubt. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the "general golfing public" just taking what's on the rack in a local shop and using it, especially if that club's manufacturer is claiming X yards increase. THPers tend to be a slightly more, ummm... picky bunch when it comes to finding the right equipment.

Maybe this has been done, or maybe not, but I'd like to see the results of a live study, documenting the impact of differing driver lengths on drive yardage and on dispersion. I know what my hypothesis would be.

I think you'd be exactly right. I also think we are way (golfers in general) too concerned about distance when we should be much more concerned about control

Ive played mine from 47 to 44. Tend to prefer it a little shorter as I feel it sets up to the ball better. As far as distance I wouldnt say ive lost much if any.

I'm down to 44.25 and see much better results. Sets up better for me and I'm loosing much less balls. Lol. No noticeable distance loss either. Since cutting it down a few weeks ago I'm using it much more off the tee instead of a wood.

I think you'd be exactly right. I also think we are way (golfers in general) too concerned about distance when we should be much more concerned about control

The funny thing is that for all intents and purposes, a given distance and straight will play "longer" than 10 yards longer and right/left, unless the hole favors the shape of the miss.

The funny thing is that for all intents and purposes, a given distance and straight will play "longer" than 10 yards longer and right/left, unless the hole favors the shape of the miss.

Not only that- it's about predictability and repeat ability. It doesn't matter how far you hit it but knowing how far you are going to hit and where you are going to hit it.

Juan

Interesting timing of this thread. I am considering lopping 3/4 of an inch of my Ping G25. I am hitting a lot of fairways with it, but often I am not hitting it flush, so I'm not getting the most out of it I can. The only time I cut down a driver was the amp cell, and I added lead tape to get the swing weight back. It was a disaster - it never felt good after that for some reason?

When I was thinking of upgrading my driver recently, I was pondering the X2 Hot and saw a Callaway talks video where Alan Hocknell (R&D) stated that the majority of players miss the centre of the face of the driver 65% of the time, and the X2Hot driver face was more forgiving across the full face, i.e. bigger sweet spot.

So, if the shaft is too long, this could contribute to a percentage of these misses?

Therefore, are you better choking down, then reducing the length, as reducing the length changes the characteristics of the shaft?

That’s probably getting fitted for the corrected shaft, length etc., is beneficial to reduce the percentages of misses.

I remember when I got fitted for the shaft for my X Hot, last year, the fitter picked up a selection of different shaft which were marked regular, and they all had different frequency measurements. In the end although my swing falls into the regular, a prolaunch stiff shaft fitted better.

I recently picked up a 46 inch driver. It was one of the most forgiving heads on the market in 2013. It was playing at 46 inches. Ball speeds were good across the face, but I hit it everywhere on the face and thus was wild.

I shortened it down to 44.75. The dispersion on the face tightened up immediately. Distance maybe dropped 5 yards on the good ones, but more are in the fairway.

Isn't the covert tour at 45-3/4" stock length?

45.5" if I'm not mistaken.

I'm playing my covert at 44.75". As of now, that is the longest I'll game.

Just mentioned this in another thread, but I cut my X2 Hot down to 45" for that very reason. Really just never jived with the change. Multiple range sessions and rounds, but was never able to find any semblance of consistency. Went ahead and grabbed a B Asha and cut it to play at 46". So far so good. I'm making better contact and my last round I only had one penalty with driver, which is definitely a trend I hope continues. Been absolutely killing myself with penalties off the tee here lately.

So far with the 44" driver I have hit 15 of 19 fairways through a round and half. & the four that missed were just off the fairway.

So far with the 44" driver I have hit 15 of 19 fairways through a round and half. & the four that missed were just off the fairway.

Did you cut it down and add weight or just cut it down?

Back