Did you cut it down and add weight or just cut it down?

Just cut it down....but I ordered a weight kit. My plan is they to bring my swingweight back up to what is was and see how that feels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got some weights. I replaced the 1g and 10g with a 6g and 14g....which adds back 9g.

The swing weight feels almost like it did before I cut 1 1/2" from the R1.

I will put it in play tomorrow.

Juan

Interesting timing of this thread. I am considering lopping 3/4 of an inch of my Ping G25. I am hitting a lot of fairways with it, but often I am not hitting it flush, so I'm not getting the most out of it I can. The only time I cut down a driver was the amp cell, and I added lead tape to get the swing weight back. It was a disaster - it never felt good after that for some reason?

You were putting the G25 in the fairway pretty good in OC. How long is the standard G25 shaft?

i play my 913D2 at 43.75. I've missed 2 fairways with it now over two rounds. Ball may be going a tad shorter on some drives, but longer when I swing easy. It's been a game changer for me. Couldn't recommend more to cut down a driver shaft and swing easier for me (14 cap).

I just got my BBA cut down to 44.5" and went from a R flex to S. Both stock Fubuki ZT.

My dispersion narrowed down drastically with absolutely no loss in distance.

With the R flex @ 45.5" I would find 50% of the fairways.

With the S flex @44.5" that accuracy jumped to 75%.

I'll take that any day of the week.

I have played my current driver at the stock 45.5 length but this topic has me wanting to experiment with cutting it down to 45.

I would recommend cutting down the shaft. I am playing my r11s to a 44.5 now and couldn't be happier. It really has helped me keep from spraying it right. Much more control. And I am also hitting it further because I feel I can go after it now.

Just cut my alpha down from 45.5 to 45. Will put it in play on Friday!

Bumping an older thread as it's the first I saw on a quick search.

So....question: how short is too short? Anyone gone more than 1" off of stock? If so, can you associate shaft length removed with distance loss and FIR increase?

Trying to find that spot where it's just too much off and diminishing returns.

So....question: how short is too short? Anyone gone more than 1" off of stock? If so, can you associate shaft length removed with distance loss and FIR increase?

That is a tough question. I played a 12* G10 at 44 inches and the R1 at 44.5 inches. I can't quantify it in the way you are probably asking. Maybe the way to think of it is anything equal to or less than the length of your 3W is too short and anything longer than the 3W is fair game.

I currently play 1" short. I find the biggest benefit gained for me is hitting the center of the club. I have lost about 25 yards in distance vs full length with center hits. The good news is that I hit the center A LOT more often now than with a longer driver.

I think another half inch and I might as well play my hybrid based on distance loss vs overall accuracy.

Driver length?

Mine plays 44.5", that .5" off gained me confidence off to tee and control. I always played a standard 45 but wanted to experiment with a shorter shaft , seems to be working wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play mine at 44.25 and if i have lost any distance, it's not noticeable. Its hard to answer your question as ive never hit anything shorter than that. Would be interesting to see the numbers once you got down to 3w length or shorter

I currently play 1" short. I find the biggest benefit gained for me is hitting the center of the club. I have lost about 25 yards in distance vs full length with center hits. The good news is that I hit the center A LOT more often now than with a longer driver.

I think another half inch and I might as well play my hybrid based on distance loss vs overall accuracy.

I'm in the same boat except for distance loss. I cut an inch down to 44.25 and my dispersion on the face has tightened greatly. Sure I still occasionally miss heel and high but that percentage has drop to at least half as often. I might have lost 5-10 yards on perfect contacts but its those other swings that I'm really pleased with.

I've been playing mine at 44.75" for the last 5 months and I will always play this length from now on..

Increased FIR and distance..

As someone who played a 44.5" SLDR for over 6 months and struggled with it, I don't think cutting length off is going to make big changes for most people in accuracy. I don't think there are big distance losses from cutting it either. My longest on course drive confirmed with GPS with the cut down SLDR was 293 yards. I'm currently playing an XR that plays at 46" inches. While its a much more forgiving face, I could easily still hit that club OB 6 or more times a round. But on the good hits I'm still around 300 yards (including one 336 yard confirmed with THP'er witnesses).

My driving has considerably improved over the past month, but it was a change in the swing and swing thought that led to it, not the club or its length. But maybe when you are already hitting close to the center of the face most of the time, shortening the club will help you find that center more often or tighten your current center group up.

Like others have said, I have no idea how much more accurate you may be or how much distance you may lose by shortening your driver shaft. But I do know that it's not a quick fix for those with a big miss.

Great bump. I haven't tinkered with 46 vs shorter shafts. And the UST event makes me think about it more often. I just don't know why a golfer fitted into stock iron shaft, or iron shafts that are 1/2" or 1" shorter than standard would be told that a 46" shaft is the way to go for a driver.

But, I guess each golfer has to determine their own dispersion tolerance while also taking into account the yardages gained. And, some of that may depend on what type of course you typically play (tight, wide open, mix of both, etc).

At 5'10" I have been cutting down my drivers to 44.5 or 45 inches, but my current driver is at 46 inches and I'm driving very well. No doubt a shorter shaft does offer some control, but for me I was better served working with my PGA teacher and working out some swing issues and staying at the longer length. Now I just need to reduce some driver spin. Time to look at some other options for that.

And less than a year later, I'm now at 43.5 inches with driver after a full fitting for my Callaway XR clubs two weeks ago. I actually gained several yards in this change. I also at 42 inches with 3 wood and 41 with 5 wood. The rest of my clubs are 1/2 inch shorter than standard.

And less than a year later, I'm now at 43.5 inches with driver after a full fitting for my Callaway XR clubs two weeks ago. I actually gained several yards in this change. I also at 42 inches with 3 wood and 41 with 5 wood. The rest of my clubs are 1/2 inch shorter than standard.

Makes me happy to read this, I'm gonna measure mine this week and chop down some.

After #TheKing I'm staying put @ 46". I'll take the extra distance as my misses weren't that bad. Had only a couple go way right.

All,

I know the length of most current drivers is between 45" to 46". I have a R1 and the length of my driver was 45.5". Lately I have been missing left and right so I decided to cut down the shaft to increase my fairways hit. Yesterday I cut the shaft to 44" and today I took it out and hit 10 of 12 fairways. Also, I did not lose any distance.

It does feel lighter and I have ordered some weights to try to get the swingweight back to where it was.

Has anyone else did this and if so....what were your results?

I cut mine to 43-1/2" and it was the best decision I ever made!

Makes me happy to read this, I'm gonna measure mine this week and chop down some.

My wrist to floor is only 29.5 to 30 inches, so we considered that more this time than during my last fitting. For some of us (not all) shorter is the way to longer. I'm not sure of my fairways hit the since the new clubs two weeks ago, but I know I have missed very few. Saturday, I was 100% with driver off the tee. 1st for me I'd say.

After #TheKing I'm staying put @ 46". I'll take the extra distance as my misses weren't that bad. Had only a couple go way right.

At 43.5, I gained yards over the standard length.

As someone that is shorter than you (I'm 5' 9" on good days...:D), I am really contemplating cutting down my driver to 44". How does cutting a driver affect swingweight?

Back