The state of your game?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We talk about this some in the Morgan Cup threads and I was thinking about how the forum as a whole is doing with their games right now. We're almost half way through summer and I know with all the personal bests being put up that there are some great rounds being played.

How's your game doing and what do you still want to improve?

I was just thinking about a thread like this kinda like a report card since we are half way done like you said.

Im not where I want, but Ive seen improvement in certain areas since the beginning of the year.

Gotta keep plugging away, mainly iron consistency and getting some distance with the driver.

Short game has come along nicely (excluding sand work) and putting has been average

My game is coming along nicely and I have one major swing flaw I'm fighting but when it's at bay I'm playing/scoring well.

My goal was to have a handicap capable of being good for the MC(18) and I've posted numbers at or below that already. My next quest is a 10 by season end which I think is possible.

I still want to improve my full swing which will improve my consistency, and tackle short game and putting.

Short game, short game, short game. I can get the ball off the tee and to the green just as good as the rest, but the part that's holding me back is the short game. Getting up and down for par (whether it be from just off the green, in the green-side bunker, just off the back, or on the fringe) is currently the weakest link in my game.

What am I going to do about it? I need to hit the short game practice area more often instead of heading straight to the bucket of balls and then heading home. I need to have a better practice routine where I either chip and putt first or last, regardless I need to incorporate this key area into my session.

My current game, the long game has been hurting me. If your in the tree's off the tee box it's going to be a tough hole. Also can always improve with the putter, but I am really practicing with that and seeing some changes coming along. If my driver and 3 wood is good off the tee, I know im going to have a good round, because I can two putt all day long.

I'm somewhat pleased with my game right now. I finally shot a few rounds in the 80's a couple of weeks ago but have went backwards the last couple of times out.

Overall my driving, chipping and putting are coming together nicely but my irons are very inconsistent. If I can just get them straightended out I will feel good about where I'm at.

My biggest gains have been in working on my swing path. I have my iron consistancy and distance more under control than ever and this would be the strongest part of my game. After curing my slice with the driver I have been hitting some of my best drives ever. I documented one at 360 yds a few weeks ago with my buddies rangefinder. The last time out I was pushing my drives right and thankfully a playing partner pointed out that my ball position looked too far back in the stance. I made that adjustment and bombed it straighter the rest of the round. I will have some pulls and pushes, but no where near as problematic as the slice. My putting has been decent as long as I take my time and focus on picking out intermediate targets, but I have rushed past that on occasion. The short game is my weakest area. I am constantly decellerating on chips and pitches and leaving them short. This is mostly a mental issue, and occurs only from off the green. I haven't had this problem out of bunkers because mentally I know I must take a full swing. I need a therapist!

Driver good. Putter good. Irons average. Chipping bad.

Game is starting to really come together. Played a tournament yesterday that i played last year as well at the same course, and I was a full 10 strokes better (and this is a VSGA event...every stroke counted, all putts putted). I still felt like i left a lot out there, especially on the putting green, which i'm just going to have to spend more time on. But I've never been more confident off the tee or in the fairway.

After going through a huge swing change at the start of the season I think things are finally starting to come together! My last five rounds have been in the mid to low 70's all with under 30 putts. After all the frustrations of the new swing it feels good to see where I'm headed.

One thing I really need to work on still is my chipping/pitching. In the last few rounds I lost a few strokes because of it. Spend more time on one part of your game other parts suffer. Now that I've got my swing feeling pretty good I need to balance out my practice sessions.

Game is starting to really come together. Played a tournament yesterday that i played last year as well at the same course, and I was a full 10 strokes better (and this is a VSGA event...every stroke counted, all putts putted). I still felt like i left a lot out there, especially on the putting green, which i'm just going to have to spend more time on. But I've never been more confident off the tee or in the fairway.

That's my partner!! Keep it up and if we're paired together again, we will give it a run at PGA!

Driving consistency is terrible. Irons and approach shots are getting better every day. Chipping and pitching is a work in progress but light years ahead thanks to a short game clinic. Putting is getting better. Seeing the score drop, more to go though...

My tee game is in great shape and I am putting better than I ever have in my life.

However in between is a real problem right now. My wedges and irons are terrible because I am just terrified to get through the ball. Everything is high right as I bail out.

Hope to have it taken care of between the new sticks and some instruction.

I haven't picked up a club since June 5, and won't pick one up again until mid-August, so the state of my game right now is nonexistent.

Prior to my injury, I was still implementing a change with my takeaway (that came from taking lessons for the first time ever) and was stuck between what I wanted to do, and what I needed to do. When I did it right, good things (birdies) happened. When I did it wrong, blow up holes ensued.

My short game improved this year, but it's still not where I want it. Still lots of work to do for me, and I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there.

Dude, you might be the best 22.9 HCP I have ever seen. You played some really solid golf in OC. That HCP will start falling like a rock soon.

Up until this point this year I felt that my handicap was better than I was, now I finally feel like I'm playing as a 9 handicap should and I'm improving. New GI irons are going to shave a few strokes off, and I've gone from a crazy strong grip to a more neutral grip position throughout the bag which is going to be really good for me.
My swing is still the same old folding-lawn-chair monstrosity, but my takeaway is more upright and I'm coming into the ball steeper and straighter which is giving me much nicer ball flights.
My short game is still the best part of my game and my tee game is still the worst, but the gap is closing.

I'm also not where I *want* to be....unsure that I ever truly will to be honest.

I've gone through some minor swing changes and when things are clicking it is really good. The big numbers are slowly going away due to not seeing a "big miss" quite as much.

Putting - couldn't be happier, consistently 3 strokes lower than when I began the year. Pretty happy with short game outside of sand play.

All in all, I'm okay with it. Not ecstatic or disappointed. A tad bit better consistency off the tee and with iron play could have me a solid 4 strokes lower on the index...I'll keep working at it.

Not too bad. I feel like a better all-around player, though I'm not really seeing a big difference in scores. It's coming around though.

With the swing change I went through a couple months ago, I am still struggling at times and reverting back to my 'old' swing, especially as I tire and I know immediately when I have done that

Other than that, my short game is getting better all the time (chipped in once on Sunday and have chipped in a number of times on the practice green at my home course)

Just need more practice on the green, although I had a lot of putts over the last couple of days (especially Monday) that lipped out / burned the edge of the hole, so I am fairly happy with how things are going there

My biggest issue still is consistency and keeping my game going for the complete round, although my scores from the last few rounds (excluding this weekend) have all been around nett level par so maybe it is starting to come together for me

Need more short game practice but other wise it is not bad

My game has the feeling of being in neutral right now. I keep having 1 or 2 bad holes a round that seem to cost me at the end of the round. So I am scheduling some time with an instructor and will be working on making the necessary corrections. I am looking forward to the challenge and seeing where it can take me.

Have seen some very good gains in a couple of areas:

Tee game is by and large the best it has been in a long time, even after a recent funk.

Iron game: After my first venture into lessons, I am also hitting my irons better than I have in my life. The consistency is not where I want it yet though.

Short game is another area where I have practiced more than ever and there are some very positive results there. Not where I would like to be in total, but so much more consistent.

Putting has gotten more consistent and have learned to pace the ball better this year.

On the days when it is all "put together" its awesome. On the days when it's not........at least I know I CAN do it now and its in there somewhere. :act-up:

JM

My game is not where I want it to be right now. It has been a rough couple of weeks that have not let me get any time to work on things or even pick up a club. My consistency off the tee is still giving me issues but I will get that ironed out. My irons are much more consistent than they used to be but could still be better. Short game is getting better, lots of practice in this area. And my putting is coming along. Reading greens a bit better and really trying to get into a comfortable rhythm.

I am pulling mine from this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?51712-2014-Golf-Goals

My 2014 golf goals:

1. Five rounds under 80 from the regular men's tees or farther back. Had two in 2013, and shot exactly 80 in three of my last four rounds.
  2. A score of 78 or better from same tees. (Personal best from whites and blues at my course is 79)
  3. Play more. Should have a couple more months this year than in 2013, so this should be doable. Two rounds a week gets it done.
  4. No rounds with three digits. Succeeded in doing this in 2013 for the first time EVER!
  5. I know I am going to have some 90's. I want to have at least four times as many scores in the 70's and 80's than I have in the 90's.
  6. Shoot even par or better on any nine holes. I shot 36 (+1) once this year, which is my best ever.
  7. Get better with sand play. We have two par 5's with sand by the green that I can go for in two every so often, but wind up in the sand too much to really give it a go. I only had one eagle putt this year and ended up parring the hole. I want an eagle in 2014!
  8. Get down to an 12.0 or better handicap sometime during the year after I get twenty rounds in. That is a 10% drop from where I finished 2013. I went from 18.6 at the end of 2012 to 13.2 at the end of 2013, but 5.4 shots is a bit much to ask for at this point!
  9. More of a dream than a goal, is to finally get a hole-in-one!
That's good to start. I might think of more before my first round of the year.

1. Lowest round so far is 81.
2. See #1. I am three shots short at the moment.
3. You would think working at a golf course should help accomplish this. You thought wrong.
4. Highest is 96, thrice. My first two rounds of the year and once in early April.
5. I think it's 11 under 90, 7 at 90 or over so far.
6. Nowhere near shooting even par for nine holes.
7. My new sand club is my Taylormade TP Gap Wedge. Much more confident that I will get out and have a good chance of being on the green!
8. Haven't gotten the rounds in yet and I am at 15.0. Have three more to get to 20.
9. Came within 18 inches. Had to have missed the cup by two or three inches.

It is getting there... if I could dial my wedges in to putting it a little closer to the hole, that would really help the putting average.

Need to start making 8-10 footers more often.

I want to be a steady 7 HCP by season end, so we shall see.

Back