hitting from thick rough (grass not tall feskew)

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
can someone provide the best way to hit out of thick rough? The first cut is okay, but if you're wide, short or long on my home course the rough is thick grass and the ball can settle in it. I think a hybrid wont get through it if i need to hit 190 yards, or sometimes i wind up hitting too far behind the ball in the grass and the ball goes nowhere, if i want to hit a 130 yard shot, then I wind up in a front bunker or worse, in more rough... This is costing me 2-3 strokes per round.

Help, pls.

Club up, grip a little harder, swing a little stronger.
If I still have some distance to cover, I'll lay up as close to the green as I can and chip/pitch on.

If it is that bad chip out and take your medicine

I have the same problem. Aside from plaing the ball further back and hitting down on it I plan on finding one particular hybrid for that shot and using only that club for it this year. I have a thread going on which hybrid brand is best.

Club up, grip a little harder, swing a little stronger.
If I still have some distance to cover, I'll lay up as close to the green as I can and chip/pitch on.

I agree. Ball down in deep rough 200 yards out is for sure a layup for me.

If it's not an 8 iron or less I'm probably wasting my time trying to do anything other than get to a safe spot. If the lie is somewhat ok I can get a hybrid in there, but the ball will be low and short. Sometimes is the right play though.

If your rough in TO is like ours here in Vancouver; tall, lush, thick, always wet grass then you have to change your mindset. From 200 yards out with the ball down in this crap you simply cannot think 'green'. You have to think 'wedge, wedge' or something of the sort. Sure, you may hit a good hybrid every now and again onto the dance floor from there but it's not a high percentage enough shot.

Even so, when I do go for it I take 2 extra clubs, hood the face more than usual, put the ball back in my stance, and just swing for the fence chopping down on the ball. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

We've got some pretty nasty stuff at my home course, not much of a second cut it just goes straight to tall stuff. I've been guilty of trying to hack through it and it doesn't turn out well. Ive gotta just take my medicine and lay out somewhere that will still give me a shot at making par.

One thing that works for me if I have to hit it as far as I can, rather than chop it out and take my medicine, is to actually set up with more weight on front foot, ball slightly back in stance, club slightly open at address and close it hard as I get through the ball. Usually comes out as a hot hook for me. I only use it if there is no real trouble, as it isn't easy to control obviously.

There is not secret to getting out of deep rough. If there is that much grass between the ball and club face you will need a steep angle of attack and a very lofted club. Pick your spot and extricate the ball from the rough.

Back