Driver off the deck

I had fairly good success when hitting my G10 off the deck, but with the deep faced Cleveland Classic, I haven't had much luck. Still, when I'm in a situation where I need to keep a ball really low, driver is usally my only choice because of how high I tend to hit most of my shots.

I will hit mine off the deck on a long par 5 when playing scramble. Only if we have a safe ball in play though.

Not enough guts, or need, to hit driver off the deck when playing my own ball.

I'll only play it if I have a perfect lie on the fairway and the shot calls for a fade. It isn't very often that I'll need to hit it far enough to need the driver though, so this almost never happens, as I'd much rather try and nut a 3w with a little extra on it.

Never a time on the course I'll do it. Not worth it. I'd rather lay up and try and get up and down with my wedge. Driver off the deck is just calling for trouble. Heads are too big and it's too precise to even think about it. Although I play with a guy who uses a Taylormade 360 and he hits it off the deck about 240. Pretty nice, but tough to do.

I pulled a Bubba Watson on the 18th of Kapalua this year. Had 328 yards left after my drive. I took the shorter route then bubba did and went over the ravine. If I had of been another 2 yards to the right if probably would have ran up on the green. Ended up In the small bunker short and left of the green. First time I hit the 913D3 from the deck and it was straight as an arrow!!!!

I've tried to hit driver off of the deck, with mixed results. When I had my Razr Fit, it worked a bit better than my DEEP faced Classic - but generally I avoid doing it, as it will most likely end in a low burning slice or hook that is completely unpredictable.

I have a hard enough time hitting driver off the tee.....

Just call me...Barb

Can't see the reason to do it. Had a kid on our golf team that went to Barbados that does it all the time. I saw him pull it off at least 6 times in the 6 days the group played golf and I only played 2 rounds with him. He can hit the ball a long way already. I asked him why he does it and his answer was, "cause I can and it works." Just shook my head.

I've done it once and it was at the Ohio gathering last fall. Tee shot ducked into the trees hard left on 18, I walked to find my ball found it in the rough with a good lie and drilled it into the bunker straight out through the fairway, best driver shot I hit all day.

I never hit the big stick off the deck. Just never have any success with it. I'm always better off laying it up short and hitting a wedge in. A guy I play with regularly uses it for exactly where you describe, when he has to hit a low cut that goes a good distance.

Never. Quite honestly, there is never a situation on a golf course where I feel the need to pull driver off the deck. I'm playing short and going for par.

This ^^^^^

You might ask DawgDaddy if I could hit driver off the deck .....

I never hit the deck driver anymore.
I used to be able to do it quite well with my old Warbird knockoff driver several years ago.
Now the faces of the drivers are too deep for me to get the ball anywhere near the center of the club face, so I can hit my 3 wood a much farther.

Used to with the smaller head but the 460cc is to big and the sweet spot to high on the face to hit it with any consistency. Shots out of the junk I'll use my driving iron

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I have never been in a situation where it's been needed. To much risk very little reward.

I've done it a few times. With my older TM 13.5 HT degree driver I did it often. The reason was that it was a great, low, boring flight, and I don't carry a 3-wood. My new R11S, set at 12 degrees neutral is a bit more finicky. I have hit it, but the lie has to be ideal. In the Summer, if the rough is deep and burnt out, and the ball is sitting up a bit, I'll give it a shot.

I tried it back in high school when, honestly, drivers where the same size or smaller in most cases than current 3 woods. There is no need to do that now though, just doesn't make sense. Even if I were to straight TOP a driver on a LONG par 5, I'm still going to pull my 3 wood or 2 hybrid and play for par.

Exactly. I used to do it, back when my driver was a big Bertha warbird... With the advancement in clubs, I don't have the need. Honestly, I doubt I could hit the current drivers well enough off the deck to even hit t as far as a 3 wood goes.

I do it a good bit. Usually have a high amount of success with it as well. I am picky with the lie and the ground I hit it off of however. It is one of the reasons I only carry one fairway wood.

I can, but I can only hit one shot. A low bullet cut. The only time I can see myself doing it is on a links course to keep it under the wind and run it up onto the green. I've done it once and it worked out well (Ended up in Right bunker on Par 5 in 2)

Never done it myself but I played with a mid 80's gentleman about a month ago who could only hit his driver about 130 so on most holes he played driver/driver/3w on par 4's. He was dead nuts accurate though and scored well most of the time going bogey or par on every hole with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I never do it, but one of my coworkers is very good at it out of trouble. If he needs 180ish yard cut out of trees, and the ball is on a bunch of pine needles, he doesn't think twice about doing it and usually pulls it off.

I can, but I can only hit one shot. A low bullet cut. The only time I can see myself doing it is on a links course to keep it under the wind and run it up onto the green. I've done it once and it worked out well (Ended up in Right bunker on Par 5 in 2)

Not necessarily to run it up to the green, but more to keep it under the limbs and hopefully back out to the fairway. One shot I do not have that it seems everyone and their brother has is a long low punch shot. Can't do it.

I struggle with my 3w off and on, so driver isn't happening. I think it's cool some ppl have that shot, but it's not something I have at this point.

I do it when the situation arises. In fact, I did it twice in the first Morgan Cup. Both times with great success.

Back